Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

phpBB vs xenForo

Which forum engine should RPGCodex use?

• Total voters

Revenant

Back in the days, when the Codex wasn't so next-gen, it used phpBB2 forum engine, and happy days they were: no brofists, no colorful smiles, and the avatar gallery... All of that is lost now, but maybe there is hope? To decide which engine suits the Codex better, I will present visual imagery illustrating the official tutorial pages of both forum engines.

phpBB:

vAqZv.png

xenForo:

ZpPDM.png

Which community would be better suited to provide forum sotfware for the Codex? Discuss!!!

Repressed Homosexual
There is not even a need for debate.

Just like Google Chrome, the most pleasing forum interface is the one that gets the hell away to let you read the body of the posts.

If it was up to me I would put no smileys, at least nothing other than very basic ones. Discourage lazy retorts and knee jerk behavior.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't there a rather lengthy post by DU on the reasons for the move? I seem to remember reading it some time during the original move and the gist of it was that the old forum engine wasn't usable anymore and it was killing the server.

Revenant

As far as I understood from DU's tl;dr, the main reason to move to xF was phpBB2's inability to quick reply. If I understand correctly, this feature is available in vanilla phpBB3. In addition, phpBB allows users such awesome things as editing posts, can you believe that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
The main problem with PHPBB compared to Xenforo is the load on the database iirc. Xenforo is less harsh on our servers than phpbb. Much as Xenforo has become a breeding ground for DUs perverse fascination with superfluous plugins the forums HAVE been running faster and more stable than they did back in ye olde phpbb days.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You could at least make the choice between XenForo and a decent forum package. Invision Power Board would be the only other genuine consideration. Mainly because it has a lot of the shit XF is missing, available in the default install.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Old Codex worked faster for me, so maybe phpBB will be better than Xenforo? Dunno.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
You could at least make the choice between XenForo and a decent forum package. Invision Power Board would be the only other genuine consideration. Mainly because it has a lot of the shit XF is missing, available in the default install.
:bro:

IPB has been my favourite forum software since well, since I've first used it at about the turn of the century. Prefer it over vBulliten. Never seen xenForo (or played with its administration settings), before I joined this board.

DU is fully capable of fucking up for the lulz whatever engine he may decide to use, so I have no opinion.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
why wasn't vB a genuine contender? Too mainstream? :smug:
They got bought out and now there's a fair bit of :retarded: in regards to vB's licensing.
You can probably find a bunch of articles about it relatively easily.

The main guys left and basically found XenForo.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
why wasn't vB a genuine contender? Too mainstream? :smug:
They got bought out and now there's a fair bit of :retarded: in regards to vB's licensing.
You can probably find a bunch of articles about it relatively easily.

The main guys left and basically found XenForo.
I very much doubt the non-renewable license is the issue. It was only ever an issue for users at the time of change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom