Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, now that I think of it, GoldBox tokens have only two sprites - standing and attacking. If only KotC2 could have both... the problem would be kinda solved.

That's true. Wouldn't be that hard to do, honestly. I know tons of icon artists who make two-frame combat icons, thanks to the SSI release of "Unlimited Adventures" and its predecessors, "Dungeon Craft" and "IceBlink Engine." Seriously, it's not rocket science.

Alchemist

Arcane
I watched the video, and yeah the circular pog look definitely isn't working for me. It breaks muh immersion.
Even simple gold-box style sprites like ProphetSword posted work better, or maybe something like this:

ojHFhuV.jpg
FbPFJTy.jpg

Pierre should license stuff from this dude... he has a ton of everything he would need for a D&D style game already: http://immortalnights.com/tokensite/

I guess if we can easily load in our own images we could use stuff like this anyway.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's really incredible how much difference it makes if you use these tokens or just simple sprites. With sprites I actually absolutely love the top down grid view. I hope he changes his mind about this but then again it's Pierre Vogel. But as has been said before, if it's modabble it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Severian Silk

Historically speaking, there have been many "artists" that created stuff that the general populace consider masterpiece/classic/etc, but the creator had only really created it to get $$$ so that they can fund their real "Magnum Opus."

And then when they finally do get around to doing that, it turns out that the product that they thought was their dream product and they were SURE everyone would love and celebrate turns out to be... just something that they themselves and perhaps a tiny cult group likes.

Needless to say, they generally really aren't happy when that happens. This sort of seems like one of those scenarios.

It's one of those intensely fascinating things about creators, the nature of art and fans expectations driving products.
I would be interested in some examples.

Severian Silk

Also, those overhead tokens look like ass. Gib me isometric or oblique graphics please.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's really incredible how much difference it makes if you use these tokens or just simple sprites. With sprites I actually absolutely love the top down grid view. I hope he changes his mind about this but then again it's Pierre Vogel. But as has been said before, if it's modabble it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
But what about the titties, Scrooge?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Most of the budget of any game is art, especially 2d games. r00fles!

Fallout had about as many programmers as artists. Seems like it'd be far more true for modern big budget 3D games with cinematics.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Most of the budget of any game is art, especially 2d games. r00fles!

Fallout had about as many programmers as artists. Seems like it'd be far more true for modern big budget 3D games with cinematics.

Regardless, if you wanted to make something of comparable quality you'd be paying at least a million bucks.

A guy making 50k a year really costs you 100k a year. 5 guys working for two years = million bucks.

You can send it to brazil or if you are really cheap china but you are not going to get fallow quality or even close, and you will never be able to outsource your basic concepts. Or easily hire someone to do them and get something good even if you do spend a lot.

What people really want is fallout quality, and pay ten bucks for it - only after it's made. Which is not unreasonable except that no one is willing to do that, who actually has money. They want a 50 times return on investment not 30%.

Maybe pierre should try kickstarter, with a little support the game could be just as good as al old AAA game.

But spending a couple grand to get a good looking game? r00fles!

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Unless it's at those levels or close, people will complain.

For me the pogs are a dealbreaker, even with better drawrings. Even some 80s sprites like gold box series is a million times better than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom