Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny, Bulgaria is the country I also want to move to.

Him being an ancap, the low taxes and high corruption level, making bribes an effective tool of business, probably made the country appealing to Pierre :M

Waterd

Augur
Why not move to Hungary, the haven for white supremacists, Jarl? I hear it's the Argentina of alt rights.
What makes you think he is a white supremacist or an alt right?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hello there, happy New Year! It's been a long time since the last update, so here is a new one. (Please click on a picture to enlarge)

Combat Maneuvres

All the combat maneuvres, such as Trip, Disarm and Sunder, have been implemented (except Distract, which I may leave aside completely), as described in the page about feats. With the right feats, they can be performed as a free action when taking an attack of opportunity. Enemies can do that too, of course. So, for example, you can use Trip as an AOO, just like the original rules of D&D 3.5 allow.

You choose the action to take during AOOs in the character's Spec screen (Specifications). From that screen, you can also access a new screen which I have created for the wizard/sorcerer transformation (see screenshot). It's a simple screen showing whether you meet the requirements or not.

Additions to the Editor

In the spell editor, I've implemented a previewer allowing to preview the graphical effects of the spell you are editing. Basically the previewer launches an empty module and executes a script that casts the spell currently being edited, and then it returns to the spell editor. See the first picture below, that's the previewer.

In the module editor and the game, I have implemented shortcut keys to toggle between the editor and the game easily. If you use the key during the game, it makes a quick save and then opens the editor at the position that you were at in the game. If you use the key in the editor, it loads the quick save and launches the game from the saved position.

Implementation of Spells

Aside from these things, I have mostly been working on the implementation of spells. I have also re-introduced spell icons using a style similar to that of KotC 1 spell icons. In the game settings, you can now choose how to display spells in the spell book: with text or icons.

I've been focusing on some of the most complicated spells, including Dispel Magic and Grease. The spells that I have implemented are Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, Grease, Sleep, Hypnotic Pattern, Web, Dispel Magic, Electric Sphere, Fireball, Haste, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Energy Wall and Prismatic Wall.

Prismatic Wall is complicated due to the variety of effects, while Energy Wall is complicated because it allows to select the type of energy of the wall. Chromatic Orb has a variety of effects and, with the feat Orb Master, the player character can select the effect. See the Wizard's page for details about spells.

Grease is very complicated in its effects because, potentially, several creatures may be falling down and sliding over several squares. Anyway, it's implemented and I think it will be a really fun spell to use, especially with 'Widen' metamagic. The first screenshot below shows some spell icons of level-3 spells. The second screenshot shows an Energy Wall dealing cold energy damage.

Falling Down

Characters can fall down, meaning that they slide automatically from their position to squares of lower altitude, taking damage in the process (and suffering from the special effects of the squares they land on, if any). It can happen in the following situations:

- Creature fails on a reflex saving throw while balancing on Grease squares
- Creature is hit for any amount of damage while balancing on Grease squares
- Creature receives the Sleeping or Prone condition while balancing on Grease squares
- Creature is tripped while balancing on Grease squares
- Creature is bull-rushed onto a square of lower altitude, even if not balancing
- Creature is slid (a special bull-rush) onto a square of lower altitude, even if not balancing

A creature continues to fall as long as there are adjacent squares of lower altitude. The damage taken at each step depends on the height. A creature falling from the top of a stairway (for example after getting bull-rushed or failing on a reflex saving throw while balancing) would end up at the bottom.

Here's a bit of implementation detail about how it's done: first the game assigns a 'falling' condition to all affected creatures. Then for each falling creature, the game looks whether there's an adjacent square of lower altitude. If yes, the game executes a script that pushes the creature onto that square, then checks whether there are any special square effects to apply to the creature, such as the damage from a Wall of Fire. This process is then repeated until no more squares of lower altitude can be found.

Grease, Web, Dispel, Dismiss

Grease and Web are also complicated because their effects can be destroyed using any Fire spell. In KotC 1, I simply destroyed the web squares that were directly in the area of effect of the fire spell. In KotC 2, I wanted the fire effect to destroy the whole web or grease area.

So in order to do this, at the end of the execution of any fire spell, the game makes a list of all the web and grease areas that will be affected. Then for each affected web or grease area, the game executes a script that casts a spell called 'Fire effect on Web' or 'Fire effect on Grease'. That spell removes the web or grease area and deals fire damage to creatures in the area. This sequence can be seen in the three screenshots below.

Dispel Magic is a really complicated spell because it can be cast in three different ways: on a single effect, on a single creature, or on an area. When using the first version, you first click on a creature, and then from the list in the top-left corner of the screen, you click on a particular magic effect currently running on that creature. For each possible effect in the list, the probability of success of Dispel is given. It depends on the caster level of each effect, meaning the level of the caster who created the effect.

When using the second version of Dispel, you just click on a creature and the game will try to dispel each effect currently running on the creature. When using the third version, you target the spell just like you would target a Fireball spell. The probability of success is provided, for example, the game will say 'Web: 30%' if the probability to succeed on the dispel check to remove a web is only 30%. When you launch the spell, the game tries to dispel terrain effects as well as one magic effect from each creature in the area of effect.

Another option to remove terrain effects is to use the combat action 'Dismiss Terrain Effects', which I have implemented. When selected, as a free action, it automatically removes all terrain effects that were created by the acting player character. It does not affect terrain effects created by the enemy, of course.

Final Words

What's next in the development of KotC 2? Spells, spells, spells and more spells. Oh, and a lot of bug fixing. And then the spell-casting AI. Scripted AI. Bug fixing! New background maps to be created by Roman. Class powers, monster powers, magic items, weapon enchantments, help information entries... Lots of Bug Fixing! ...and then, just maybe, who knows, finally some adventure creation!!

I made my first purchase on Steam the other day! I got the 'World of Decadence' package, which includes Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats. I've had no time to play them so far, though. Also had a look at Pillars of Eternity, but the amount of disk space needed for that game just seems crazy to me, 25 GB. In French we may call this 'une usine à gaz' (a needlessly complicated system).

Thank you for reading, best wishes!!

draylyn

Novice
how do i contribute spent yrs as a silly valley programmer incl some time with sony west and the "big blue cube "decommissioned 2014 and SSI,interplay and other places or funds or alpha testing or whatever?? im medically retired so ive got free time to devote to a project

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pierre mentioned in a recent forum post that he is working on combat and spells through 2017. Gonna take some time.

draylyn

Novice
how do i contribute spent yrs as a silly valley programmer incl some time with sony west and the "big blue cube "decommissioned 2014 and SSI,interplay and other places or funds or alpha testing or whatever?? im medically retired so ive got free time to devote to a project

okay for folks obviously too young to know "incl" and" yrs " have and are accepted acceptable abbrevs that have existed since the days of the fabled and arcane typewritter Not txt speak and silly valley is a very common term for the palo alto sunnyvale san jose mountainview cuppertino etc area... now if someone were to award me the eecummings award for non caps and lack of punctuation that be fitting and accurate*accuracy matters especially in programming :)*

now i have seen recent post indicating work is being done and it's not in fact an ex parrot as has been indicated above so perhaps instead of silly and useless comment someone connected with the project might contact me about making use of my 45 yrs of programming testing and debugging exp (since the ibm 360 wiring ferritte cores in the 70s and then the pdp 8 with the hot new tech toy of the day "the pen plotter" )

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
go to heroicfantasygames.com and see if Pierre is willing to open the kimono. Good luck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pierre on his release timetable: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=213&p=4873&hilit=2019#p4873

My divination magic is not that good, so I will take a wild guess:

1 July 2018 ------------ Finish implementing classes
1 January 2019 ------- Finish implementing spellcasting AI
1 July 2019 ------------ Launch my Kickstarter
1 August 2019 -------- Buy my first island with the billions from Kickstarter
icon_e_wink.gif

1 April 2020 ----------- Release KOTC 2, the first module
7 April 2020 ----------- Buy my second island with the proceeds from millions of sales
icon_e_wink.gif

1 December 2020 ----- Release KOTC 2, the second module
1 August 2021 --------- Release KOTC 2, the third module
7 August 2021 --------- Acquire Microsoft with the proceeds from zillions of sales
1 September 2021 ---- All Microsoft employees to work on new KOTC 2 modules
1 May 2025 ------------ Set myself up as Salamander the Great, unchallenged Emperor of the World.
I've just finished implementing the Psionicist's powers from level 1 to level 4, I can already say that it will be an interesting class to play, and powerful...

Best wishes for the New Year!
icon_e_biggrin.gif

He's into Kickstarter now, eh?

Pierre on his release timetable: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=213&p=4873&hilit=2019#p4873

My divination magic is not that good, so I will take a wild guess:

1 July 2018 ------------ Finish implementing classes
1 January 2019 ------- Finish implementing spellcasting AI
1 July 2019 ------------ Launch my Kickstarter
1 August 2019 -------- Buy my first island with the billions from Kickstarter
icon_e_wink.gif

1 April 2020 ----------- Release KOTC 2, the first module
7 April 2020 ----------- Buy my second island with the proceeds from millions of sales
icon_e_wink.gif

1 December 2020 ----- Release KOTC 2, the second module
1 August 2021 --------- Release KOTC 2, the third module
7 August 2021 --------- Acquire Microsoft with the proceeds from zillions of sales
1 September 2021 ---- All Microsoft employees to work on new KOTC 2 modules
1 May 2025 ------------ Set myself up as Salamander the Great, unchallenged Emperor of the World.
I've just finished implementing the Psionicist's powers from level 1 to level 4, I can already say that it will be an interesting class to play, and powerful...

Best wishes for the New Year!
icon_e_biggrin.gif

He's into Kickstarter now, eh?

Never in a million years will he succeed in kickstarting a game as fugly as this.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I recommend making an account on his website's forums and telling Pierre that! He loves receiving criticism like that and always responds with care and enthusiasm.

:)

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
He can be eccentric but KoTC2 will give us a D&D 3.5 campaign builder. Not since FRUA have we had proper community tools for content builders.

You better all buy it too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom