Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And he wrote that all problems begin and end with Sauron?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I know that, but that is supernatural and "ultimate" evil. That doesn't mean society doesn't have other problems, like poverty, lack of education, in-fighting, etc. Unless he specifically wrote that no problems like these exist? Even if so, that's only 1 fantasy story out of ...a lot. Let's assume the witch from Narnia as well, 2 stories.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And in this context, disappointment is also one of the biggest problems and that one can't be solved because lol realism? Seems legit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know that, but that is supernatural and "ultimate" evil. That doesn't mean society doesn't have other problems, like poverty, lack of education, in-fighting, etc. Unless he specifically wrote that no problems like these exist? Even if so, that's only 1 fantasy story out of ...a lot. Let's assume the witch from Narnia as well, 2 stories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Age

Seems like a golden age to me. Sure, the elves and dwarves succumbed to malaise like the Beautiful Ones, but to hell with 'em both.

I recall reading some ~subversive~ sci-fi story in an old magazine that started off with the end of some 50s-esque alien/radioactive creature invasion story, then it details how life goes on and back to normal, including the main character eventually divorcing the love interest. It was novel for a kid.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uh, the point is that Eder's/Sagani's problems couldn't be solved by smacking an evil entity about the head until everything is bright and sunny. The disappointment is a product of that. Makes sense to me. Frodo would probably be disappointed too if tossing the ring in mount Doom didn't solve anything.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Uh, the point is that Eder's/Sagani's problems couldn't be solved by smacking an evil entity about the head until everything is bright and sunny. The disappointment is a product of that. Makes sense to me. Frodo would probably be disappointed too if tossing the ring in mount Doom didn't solve anything.
Seems weak to me, especially in the context of a continuous smacking about of evil entities and fixing of problems. I would've loved Frodo not being able to defeat Sauron by throwing a ring in a volcano, because the problem is not the ring, but Sauron's intense desire for violence and revenge. I don't think being disappointed after that would be Frodo's biggest problem.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Before or after you are enslaved by the most vicious tyrant in history? See, not being able to solve a problem brings with it bigger issues than being disappointed. I am disappointed if the local gelateria doesn't have my preferred ice-cream, not losing the last hope I had in life and being thrown in a gulag or something.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is actually a good point to make. It illustrates how trivial and/or made-up Sagani and Eder's 'problems' were and why they didn't really work. At least in one way, there are others.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I'm all for a noble quest going horribly wrong due to unforeseen consequences, but petering out in a sad case of ''well society still has problems and you couldn't really change this.''? SHIT AND BORING!!!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This is actually a good point to make. It illustrates how trivial and/or made-up Sagani and Eder's 'problems' were and why they didn't really work. At least in one way, there are others.
Problems have different weight on different people,it was their personal problems,it is only natural for other people to not care. Also most if not all of the companions had meh problems.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, their failing to achieve the desired outcome of their personal problems didn't result in physical trauma, and it would indeed have been more fun if their quests concluded with whacking some evil entity about the head. But that would be so low-brow. This is the 21st century, after all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Must be very fun adventuring under DM Josh

Party struggles, levels up, chases villains, plans, goes through blood and tears, and in the end
has to deal with an important lesson on disappointment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Except it undermines itself immediately.
By narrative happenstance, deliberately placed because very few would stick with a game very long if they're told they're wasting their time and nothing they do matters every step of the way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
And this doesn't strike anyone as pointless? Trying to have their cake and eat it too won't work in this context, it actually defeats the entire purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom