Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't you have one dollar bills to burn? That Aryan shit looks ridiculous,especially coming from a kebab.

I trade only in gold and silver.
:lol:
israel-and-jews-perception-in-Turkey.jpg

Well at least you must have some kind of iphone,smash it to bits mate.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It amazes me that an indie studio known as Stygian Software which is several times smaller than Obsidian, as well as being less experienced/funded, managed to create a setting that is infinitely better than the banal shit that is Eora/Deadfire Archipelago.
Underrail put all its terribly long, terribly boring infodumps about the setting into all those computer emails in the final area.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail put all its terribly long, terribly boring infodumps about the setting into all those computer emails in the final area.
PoE would've still had a shit setting even without the massive info dumps. I see the after taste of Sawyers nuts still lingers...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weird, this didn't show up on PCGamesN's front page: https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-seeker-slayer-survivor-dlc

Pillars of Eternity 2 makes you fight for the gods in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor DLC
Pillars-of-Eternity-2-DLC-580x334.jpg

Following Beast of Winter, Pillars of Eternity 2’s next DLC is Seeker, Slayer, Survivor, a completely different type of adventure that places players into a gladiatorial arena fighting for the glory of Galawain, god of the hunt.

The Seeker Survivor Slayer DLC was shown off at Gamescom 2018, and we were able to discuss the ideas behind it with the expansion’s director, Brandon Adler.

“It’s heavily focused on combat, we’re trying to play around with that,” Adler says. But he makes clear that this isn’t just a standard arena mode: “The fights are not just ‘grab a bunch of creatures, throw them in an arena and have a fight’. One of the fights is two wizard brothers that are fighting each other, and they both cast different types of magic. They put giant wards on the ground to protect themselves from their brother’s magic, and so you jump between those wards whenever you’re trying to avoid spells.”

The DLC’s title is drawn from the three forms of fights that you’ll conduct within the arena: seeker, survivor, and slayer matches.

“All the fights have a little puzzle to figure out,” Adler explains. “In seeker type fights you have to find something special about the fight, like a set of spiders with regenerating properties where and you have to figure out which is the queen spider [who you must defeat] so you can take out the others.”

Survivor fights are, as the same suggests, about staying alive through a series of enemy waves. Slayer fights are tough in a different way: “they’re big hard creatures that kill you quickly and you have to kind of smash and grab,” Adler explains.

While arena combat is the focus of this DLC, don’t expect to be confined to the walls of a colosseum. “There’s still a lot to go and do,” Adler says. “There’s lots of other places you’re exploring to go and find artefacts to bring them back.”

These artefacts are sacrificed within the arena in order to summon each suite of fights, and so the exploration elements are just as vital to the experiences as the arena fights themselves.

“The DLC takes place on a pretty big island, so there’s all the random encounters and lots of scripted interactions and storybook scenes scattered around, too,” Adler adds. “It has a full story that you’re exploring just like Beasts of Winter.”

“The island itself has been calling competitors, and it’s made the animals and the natives full of bloodlust,” Adler explains. “And so the Watcher is trying to figure out what is going on and what kind of connection it has to the greater story of Pillars.”

Also, Josh Sawyer lives! https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of...ternity-2-free-dlc-god-challenges-josh-sawyer

Josh Sawyer is still at work on Pillars of Eternity 2’s free God Challenges DLC
Pillars-of-Eternity-2-god-challenges-580x334.jpg

Since work on the main Pillars of Eternity 2 base game wrapped, studio design director and RPG legend Josh Sawyer is no longer involved in the core creative direction of the game’s post-release content. But that’s not to say he’s not a key member of the Pillars 2 crew; while he’s not the captain of the paid-for DLC expansions, Sawyer is still a guiding hand on the game’s free DLC God Challenges.

Talking to us at Gamescom 2018, Sawyer explains the idea behind these top-level challenges: “They are special modes where, for example, in the Berath challenge, any character that is knocked out for six seconds dies.” Think of these as mutators or modifiers for your campaign that alter the core rules of the game, making progression just that little more tricky.

And Berath’s challenge isn’t the toughest by any means. “Magran’s challenge is even crazier. You can’t slow the game and you can’t pause the game, so everything has to be played with real time without pause and the AI system, which is really hard,” Sawyer says.

The game is soon to patched with the first two God Challenges in update 2.0.1 – Abydon and Skaen – and further gods, including Berath and Magran, will be added over time. “We’re planning on introducing a God Challenge for every god, and that’ll all be through our free DLC,” says Josh, indicating that there will be 11 challenges for the 11 gods in the Pillars pantheon.

For those who had been worried that Sawyer stepping away from the leading role would affect the game’s long-term quality, it appears that there’s little to be concerned about. “I’m the design director of the studio so I’m helping out on other projects, but I do wanna make sure Deadfire continues to get refined and features new content,” Sawyer says. “Even for people who don’t get the DLC, because I think people appreciated that in Pillars 1 that we kept supporting and trying to add things through our patches over time.”

Keep an eye out for the first challenges to be added to the game later this month.

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
This sounds suspiciously like arena mode.

Also, it couldn’t hurt to have some other sweeping character motivation than “for the gods!”

But hey, I’ll be a guinea pig on release...

Mazisky

Magister

Also, it couldn’t hurt to have some other sweeping character motivation than “for the gods!”

They said the arena take place on a big island with quests and stuff to do, so it's fine.

Developer

An arena mode is a pretty smart move, production-wise, especially with the DLC release schedule – you don’t want to introduce a DLC like that first in a season line-up, but considering it’s more system-y content, it’s easier to develop than special case/RPG content, and gives the dev team more breathing room between the DLCs (it would have helped on the New Vegas DLC production pipeline to have a pack like that as the 2nd or 3rd vs. near the end of the run).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PoE2 multiclassing system feels very blah..

Nope, many broken combos are very possible.

Well, given strong class identity and focus in PoE1, I did consider multiclassing not necessary.
But hey, its here and provides a ton of powerful (or broken) customization options, so I won't complain.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tell me a few cool combos mang, I want to spice up my party. I mean rn I don't see any reason not to just multi everyone w/ fighter.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Tell me a few cool combos mang, I want to spice up my party. I mean rn I don't see any reason not to just multi everyone w/ fighter.

Combinations with Fighter are the best, by far, indeed.

I am modding prestige classes into the game with some other modders. I think you will like it.

Ps: didnt forget about your bashing / shields. I'll start to make them this week

Last edited:

Ulfhednar

Savant
You can use cipher's borrowed instinct a lot like the fighters disciplined strikes to increase accuracy... sucks that you have to multi to tier 4 or 5 powers though, so it takes some investment... I was using Ydwin as a rogue/cipher and the routine went something like:

Borrowed instinct with initial focus --> blinding strike on priority target to get a 100+ focus back --> AoE cipher disable spell of choice.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Depends on what you're going for. There are very strong options for practically every role.

Like I wrote a page ago, a Sharpshooter/Streetfighter is a sick ranged aoe (with Serfen's mortars) damage dealer. In general everything with a Streetfighter is OP as fuck if you're willing to work (and maybe metagame a bit) to trigger his special. Even base Rogues are very strong IMO and a Streetfighter is like a Rogue squared. They don't work so well with casters with long cast times (druids, priests, maybe Wizards - depending on spell selection), but excel at all other multis.
Although Trickster is really nice too nowadays. Less damage and speed, but some awesome illusion self buffs, like Repulsive Visage at PL 3 (pulsing Terrify which completely disables enemies), Mirror Image, Displacement and sparkling spell which leaves enemies dazed (-4 Pen! +might debuff). Still gets sneak attack and all rogue full attacks, including Devastating Blow for up to +300% damage. Works well to add both damage AND durability.

Berserker/Streetfighter: needs babysitting but can deal disgusting damage. Berserk/Fighter is more survivable and good vs crowds, weaker in single target damage.

Cipher Ascendant: works well pure, but multiclasses like Streetfighter (recovery speed, rapid focus generation), Helwalker Monk (huge Int & Might for impactfull and long lasting powers, long lasting aoe Stunning Blow from Monk with dual mortars) or Ghostheart ranger (fast ranged focus generation with Driving Flight, huge Accuracy boosts vs chosen targets, which work for spells, plus the pet you can instantly drop behind enemy lines and link with Ectopsychic Echo to do good damage) are very good also.

Wizard again goes really well with many classes, depending what you aim for. Monk for speed boost and Int supercharge. Maybe Helwalker for Might too, if you don't mind the squishiness. But also their chances to trigger additional free attacks work really well with the aoe Spirit Lance the Wizzie can conjure. Fighter for extra durability and easy Accuracy and crit rate boost. But also for a martial caster. Again aoe Spirit Lance would pair very well with Mule Kick and later on, with Clear Out. Many seem very fond of Berserker/Wizard multiclass, due to large speed boosts as well as might and penetration boosts. Barbarians eventually get to negate Recovery on kill, which also works for spell kills. Last but not least, Assassin Wizard should be pretty cool to drop +25 Accuracy empowered fireballs from stealth (which also get +50% crit damage). Wizard should be generalist or Evoker, depending on your focus.

Paladin goes well with Troubadour for a strong support character. But can multi really well with... well... everything. And dual weapon Bleak Walkers with Ring of Focused Flame deal really nice damage with their cheap Flames of Devotion full attacks. Kind Wayfarers trigger aoe heal with each attack of their FoD (so 2x with duals), which is very cool also. Goldpact Knights are very tanky, so are a good choice if that's your focus (pick them if you plan for high defenses, otherwise their armor boost will drop too fast).

Priests... well... Priest of Magran is really strong offensive-wise I hear (with fire-focused gear).

If you let me know what kind of character you want to go with, maybe I can provide a more focused advice.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Except a good multi-classing system doesn't only provide overpowered potential. It's actually quite easy to make a system in which op characters are possible. I don't know why people have this criteria in the first place. I kinda think PoE2 multiclassing is a bit ...brute forced in some ways. It doesn't creatr characters that play like a combination of two classes, more like played at the same time, if that makes sense.

About the new DLC - I was kinda hoping we get to fight rival parties looking for treasure too. One of the coolest types of fights in BG1 was against the assassin parties and the party atop the Iron Throne tower (especially with SCS). Just fighting even more homogeneous creatures doesn't sound like fulfilled potential.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Except a good multi-classing system doesn't only provide overpowered potential. It's actually quite easy to make a system in which op characters are possible. I don't know why people have this criteria in the first place. I kinda think PoE2 multiclassing is a bit ...brute forced in some ways. It doesn't creatr characters that play like a combination of two classes, more like played at the same time, if that makes sense.

For the most part, I agree. (There are some possibilities opened up by multi-classing that end up playing like more than just the sum of their parts--generally the ones where subclass abilities synchronize well--but they mostly involve a lot of micro, and are the exception rather than the norm.) I think that's the consequence of JES' advancement structure, and the careful separation of 'ability usage points' on a per-class basis. At any given moment, I'm deciding whether I want to use abilities from class A or from class B and that just reinforces the feeling of the two still being separate entities that have been squashed together because someone said so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom