Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
He is just being playfully boastful, that's not flirting. That's not even bad piece of dialogue right there, aside from lack of varied responses even if the last response is sarcastic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, the lack of varied responses is the problem here. He is neither flirting nor saying anything "gay". I guess people are used to the most bland, unremarkable and unnoticeable personalities of the people around them and every deviation from that is somehow unusual, i.e. gay and flirting.

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
Well, the voice-over and context suggests it is really fuckin gay. Particularly because we already discussed his waterbender skills beforehand.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
He is just being playfully boastful, that's not flirting. That's not even bad piece of dialogue right there, -
Your butthurt is imparing your judgment.

But maybe you have a lot of males around you who are "playfully boastful" and you think its charming.

Although its not playful, but narcissistic, arrogant and cheap.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I.e. I'm a sheltered weirdo or the most basic of dudebros and I have never been around anything other than other basic dudebros. I've also cultivated my sense of politics from right-leaning YouTube personalities and tumblr. Everything unusual scares me and makes me think I'm threatened. Help me.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Is there any other way with romances?

Yeah, but I've said that in reference to game's reception, I guess I shoulda been more clear.

Casuals n mainstream forums are pretty angry that romances suck and it's arguably one of main reasons why Steam review score continues to tank, despite Deadfire being a superior game in nearly every way. And these are exactly the people Obsidian hoped to attract by adding romances. It's comedy gold, they would have been much better off just leaving that stuff out.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I.e. I'm a sheltered weirdo or the most basic of dudebros and I have never been around anything other than other basic dudebros. I've also cultivated my sense of politics from right-leaning YouTube personalities and tumblr. Everything unusual scares me and makes me think I'm threatened. Help me.

Youtube education = trump university.

damager

Arbiter
Well, I live in a middle-european inner city. I have digusting degenerates around me every day. That is why I want an option to tell them to fuck off.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yes, it is. By virtue of it being obnoxious. I am not sure which bathhouses you frequent where mentioning this information casually is considered a good dialogue.

Obnoxious dialogue isn't necessarily bad dialogue. I don't understand how so many people seem to think that. Bad dialogue is dialogue that falls flat, feels misfitting to context and artificial. None of those are present there. A character being friendly and boastful in a relaxed environment like a bathhouse is quite normal. It's no Tolstoy but it isn't out of place either.

I have been into plenty of bathhouses and other environments were people are (mostly) naked and wet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, this isn't a Bioware game, I'm reasonably certain you can complete this without talking to a single companion. I plan to leave many of the new guys never-spoken-to.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I managed to go through PoE1 while only speaking to Durance (to get him to join me), Pallegina (because you can't complete the quests for the Doemenels without talking to her) and Devil of Caroc (because you can't complete Galvino's workshop quest). You can tell them you aren't interested and they won't join you. I took them both for Caed Nua adventures, though.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, we now know more about the godlikes and why they exist. Is there any description anywhere about the other types of godlike we didnt see so far? Skaen, Rymrgand, Woedica, Eothas, Abydon... They all have godlikes? And why Ondra have two types?

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nobody can help you.

Because you insist on talking about the game, characters in it and the writing while refusing to play it.
And all you can come up with are idiotic ad hominems, which you also know to be true - telepathically.
That only makes you a dumb cretin.

I'm reasonably certain you can complete this without talking to a single companion. I plan to leave many of the new guys never-spoken-to.
I managed to go through PoE1 while only speaking to Durance ...-
proof of quality of writing right there.

btw, the fish guy is a literal male slut and a nymphomaniac pansexual, which he talks about over and over and he comes onto you continuously without any reason.
Even his character animation in character screen is "suggestive faggot dancing" ...

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can not speak to Durance, I just wanted him in my party. If you don't want to go for the Doemenels and don't want to complete Galvino's workshop, you can also skip talking to Pallegina and Devil. Also, I "came up" with more than that before, that was just summarizing your whole personality, and not only yours, everyone who sees that as somehow "gay".

Parabalus

Arcane
You can not speak to Durance, I just wanted him in my party. If you don't want to go for the Doemenels and don't want to complete Galvino's workshop, you can also skip talking to Pallegina and Devil. Also, I "came up" with more than that before, that was just summarizing your whole personality, and not only yours, everyone who sees that as somehow "gay".

How do you get into the Battery if you don't talk to Galvino? Does whacking him drop the resonator?

Fairfax

Arcane
Obnoxious dialogue is not bad dialogue when spoken by obnoxious people. Is fishork supposed to be Obnoxious? I don't know. I did not care to talk to him after I realized all dialogues in the game were written with Marvel Cinematic Universe enthusiast in mind but only in bad taste.
If he was designed to be obnoxious, that's bad design. He's also a companion who's constantly stroking his own ego instead of the player's (romance aside, which most players won't pursue), which is another mistake. These are things Obsidian's writers should know from MCA's guidelines, which Sawyer claims they still follow:

The player should feel that they are gaining something of value from the interaction, even if the interaction isn’t mandatory – exploring a character’s personality should be as much fun as exploring a dungeon.
The companion needs to ego-stroke the player in a variety of ways. Sometimes this can be romance, sometimes this can be simply reactivity (either brief barks or conversations about the player’s actions), or any of a variety of methods. Ultimately, however, any companion that simply sits around bitching, complaining, and haranguing the player isn’t someone you want to drag into the nearest dungeon to help clear it out… you may simply want to throw them in the dungeon and lock the door.

Deleted member 7219

My thoughts after my first playthrough...

+ Better performance and loading times
+ Better combat and companion AI
+ Better factions
+ Reputation system and skill checks affect how characters treat you and how encounters pan out
+ Good music, good writing
+ Multiple resolution quests

- Short length (40 hours, about the same as PoE 1 even after exploring the entire map, which was surprising given how Obsidian were saying how huge this one would be)
- Lack of player agency in main quest
- Ship combat system punishes you for actually going into combat (your crew members are constantly injured). I would have avoided ship combat as much as possible were I not obsessed with collecting bounties
- Nothing really groundbreaking, surprising, or memorable

Lacrymas

Arcane
How do you get into the Battery if you don't talk to Galvino? Does whacking him drop the resonator?

Ah, my bad, I thought his workshop was a side-quest. I'm not sure if you can just kill him. So, yeah, I guess you can't skip talking to the Devil after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom