Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, Grieving Mother was designed by MCA, and Sagani has 8 whatever children yet she is a capable fighter/adventurer and it's men who nurse children in her society, which I'm not sure I know any historical or any other examples of how the hell can this be. Unless their society grow children communaly/every child has a personal servant. Then it's reasonable, but Sagani would have to be a royalty. Although she is on a religious quest so maybe it's not very strange.

I doubt anyone who has even 2 children, more so the mother, can think of leaving any fucking where or even have TIME TO THINK about leaving anywhere :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a frackin game dude.
To be honest, I thought of this argument against the relevance of my question. But I thought it doesn't or shouldn't stand. Given the tone and how seriously the guidebooks and worldbuilding take themselves, the excuse "it's just a game dude" doesn't work here.

If this is indeed the case, and the narrative designers, and Josh, have been trying to sit on two chairs - the "wacky" and the "deep lore" one - then that could be counted as a problem with the game's overall tone.

I asked Josh a question about that on his tumblr weeks ago - how did they, and does he think they did in the first place, manage to combine the more light-hearted characters with the more serious and history-inspired themes of colonial race and exploitation. Does he think they combined the two different tones without looking incoherent, and what steps did they take to make sure they don't look incoherent.

He never answered, and I doubt he will. With his curious responses to questions about romances and companions in general, this looks like a somewhat painful subject for him to discuss. Or maybe I am reading too much into it?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sagani has 8 whatever children yet she is a capable fighter/adventurer and it's men who nurse children in her society
Yeah, with the snap of a finger, men are nursing children. Does this sound like written by someone who has the faintest experience with children? :)

Mammals' children need to be breast-fed. This leads to them developing a close bond and attachment to their mothers (among the more intelligent species of course) from an age before they are able to understand anything. Good luck with that men-nursing stuff.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Autism seems to be confused with attention to detail. The autistic "attention to detail" is actually a fixation on a single thing, I don't think understanding that one thing better or knowing anything more about it is a requirement. It's more of a compulsive repetitive behavior than genuine/normal interest, whether that is scholarly or anything else.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Autism seems to be confused with attention to detail. The autistic "attention to detail" is actually a fixation on a single thing, I don't think understanding that one thing better or knowing anything more about it is a requirement. It's more of a compulsive repetitive behavior than genuine/normal interest, whether that is scholarly or anything else.
I know. I assume when someone is a manchild with the attention span of 2 year old - a state which seems to have been normalized on the Internet nowadays - anyone having the ability to concentrate on a subject and form coherent sentences must seem like an autist.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Here is an innovative idea - to have romances that don't suck, how about for starters have some companions that are actually fuckable.

Mass Effect romances had cringeworthy writing but I still bothered with romance quest options, because Miranda had nice tight butt and it was a change of pace from all the combat missions.

Meanwhile Obsidian seem to have gone out of their way to make characters that aren't attractive, because oh my god, what is Polygon going to say if we just have some wizard babe. So instead we have Maia, a giant who can crush you with her thighs and Xoti, a deranged hillbilly priest who likes her scythe a lot.

It's like, no thanks, I ain't tapping that, I like my balls firmly attached.

And hilariously female players have the same problem. Who can they romance, Fish Jesus? Blue furry Orlan? Eder is the only white, human, heterosexual male, but of course they can't endorse anything normal so Eder cannot be romanced.

Obsidian have gone out of their way to explore all kinds of degeneracy and kinky weird shit, and now they are surprised to find out that - gasp - 95% of their audience is hetero and when they say they want romances, what they actually mean is they want to romance cute redhead pirate captain with big titties, not a half-orc aumama giant.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, with the snap of a finger, men are nursing children. Does this sound like written by someone who has the faintest experience with children? :)

Mammals' children need to be breast-fed. This leads to them developing a close bond and attachment to their mothers from an age before they are able to understand anything. Good luck with that men-nursing stuff.
Well in medieval times children were often fed by wet nurses, then maybe they can go get trained by men to become hunters, if we're stretching it. But boreal dwarves just don't look socially advanced to me, they're basically siberian dwarves (like yakuts/turks) and most matriarchial thing they should have is probably some matriarchial mother-diety & shamanism / fertility cult based around that. I mean, they're hunters with shamanism/animism, these dwarves didn't even advance to more complicated religion states.

Children, they can leave to the commune (like celts did it), so that way it wouldn't matter as much if Sagani is a mom or not. No magic finger snapping required.

AwesomeButton

Patron
AwesomeButton ,
Not sure right now, didn't we get a glimpse on such matters via Grieving Mother & Sagani in PoE1?

Anyway, if what you are writing is indeed the case, it may also have to do with... (drumroll) California. California is not a place of customs or for having a family. Caring for the things you are describing is not part of their culture, and that's the case in most liberal parts of the US. Although I may be reading too much into it, and I hadn't noticed anything before you mentioned it.
It's a difficult thing to proclaim with certainty - that a whole big aspect of the worldbuilding has been neglected. Especially in PoE where the plot apparently deals with these themes. I don't think these questions are not addressed in the worldbuilding materials themselves - the PoE guidebook. But when you look close, it seems like certain aspects which were mentioned in the worldbuilding materials are strangely absent or only mentioned in passing, when you are actually in the world.

The attention to these subjects I mention is maybe comparable to the attention which LotR or StarWars give to practical questions like the economy, in their own worlds. In the same way that in fantasy, economy concerns don't exist for decision makers and political leaders, these aspects of the culture are never the focus for any character in PoE.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyway, was anyone able to find a unique crossbow? Deadfire wiki suggest there should be one, but I have seen nothing on my 1st full run and my two other half-runs.

frajaq

Erudite
Here is an innovative idea - to have romances that don't suck, how about for starters have some companions that are actually fuckable.

instead we have Maia, a giant who can crush you with her thighs

don't kinkshame TIA

GEXeSfK.jpg

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Mass Effect romances had cringeworthy writing but I still bothered with romance quest options, because Miranda had nice tight butt and it was a change of pace from all the combat missions.

Meanwhile Obsidian seem to have gone out of their way to make characters that aren't attractive, because oh my god, what is Polygon going to say if we just have some wizard babe. So instead we have Maia, a giant who can crush you with her thighs and Xoti, a deranged hillbilly priest who likes her scythe a lot.

It's like, no thanks, I ain't tapping that, I like my balls firmly attached.

And hilariously female players have the same problem. Who can they romance, Fish Jesus? Blue furry Orlan? Eder is the only white, human, heterosexual male, but of course they can't endorse anything normal so Eder cannot be romanced.

Obsidian have gone out of their way to explore all kinds of degeneracy and kinky weird shit, and now they are surprised to find out that - gasp - 95% of their audience is hetero and when they say they want romances, what they actually mean is they want to romance cute redhead pirate captain with big titties, not a half-orc aumama giant.

The ability to fuck companions makes them unfuckable, because instead of being ideals you can feel attraction towards visually and in spirit they are instead reduced to a mechanic set of dialogue checks.

Valtiel

Scholar
I beat the game after 70 hours, did most of the quests I found.

A really fun game. I loved the exploration, the factions and the roleplaying checks. The CYOA segments were great in the first game, and Obsidian chose well to make their number explode in the sequel. Most everything involved with the ship is fun. There are countless unique items and they're actually unique unlike the first game.

The main story is really bad though. It's a good thing that it's very short, but still. I couldn't help but to make comparisons to Mass Effect 2, except ME2 did it better. In that game you're killed by the Collectors, resurrected by Cerberus, and have constant communication with your boss The Illusive Man while you hunt for the Collectors.

In Deadfire, you're killed by Eothas off-screen and start the game already dead. You're resurrected by Berath, who afterwards appear so little in the story that I constantly forgot the fact that I'm supposedly controlled by her and on a divine mission. And where ME2 takes you into direct conflict with the Collectors during the course of the game, you're not really dealing with anything Eothasian for most of the Deadfire main quest.

At the Port Maje Engwithan digsite, you face random panthers and other critters that moved in after Eothas murderized the place. At Hasongo, you face Naga that moved in after Eothas murderized the place. But worst is Ashen Maw, where you face a race of fire giants that I didn't see referenced by anyone in the rest of the world before or after that quest. It's like they exist in their own bubble. Shouldn't the trading companies be concerned about the religious warrior-cult of fire giants sailing just off their shores?

And don't get me started on when Berath actually dragged your ass into her realm for a check-up. Excruciatingly long descriptive text and no player agency in the on-rails conversation turned something potentially spectacular - a meeting with gods - into the dullest affair possible.

The game would have been better off without this godly nonsense, and focused on what Obsidian actually does well: Factions and their conflicts. Having 4 is a tad too much as I barely know who the Queen is, but it's still pretty good. I supported the Vailians and was quite pleased to see Maia actually leave my party as a real person instead of kneeling down and sucking my dick because I'm da playah charactah.

I was a bit surprised that there were no post-main quest gameplay. Didn't Josh say earlier that you would be able to continue your game, Fallout 2-style? It's not like anything drastically would change in the world after the main quest anyway (the ending slides would show the future without further player meddling taken into account), just dialogue about Eothas that has to be changed into past tense.

Even though I murdered most Principi I met, I really liked the pirate side of the game and am planning a second playthrough where I aim to become the most feared pirate on the [insert balanced number here] seas. The open world map really incentivizes another playthrough, and would have been even better if they'd skipped the starting dungeon and just thrown me out there even earlier.

The comparison with ME2 kept popping in my mind while I was playing Deadfire. I can say that what Deadfire really misses, having a similar setup, is a well made "suicide mission" like Mass Effect 2 did. That game was all about the mission, all was directed to the goal of acquiring resources and companions for the end goal. Companion's relationship were central to plot and if not mattered, they at least made something in the ending, and even if they were bioware writing quality (so basically semi-shit) and the reason why they eventually made out alive or not were silly (just high rep with Shepard) at least was something. Imagine now Deadfire with a similar structure and a proper ending with this well implemented relationship system, possibilities were infinite, but still...

frajaq

Erudite
One question for you, ladies and gentlemen: are there any decisions/choices that carry over ONLY if you have an actual save game? Or a "unique" set of choices attainable only through playing the first game?

I'll be honest buddy, the absolute only thing that I saw was regarding that elf lady Iovara and only IF said she romanced the Watcher's previous incarnation, you can reference her when Teheku asks if you're interested in anyone currently

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you say you sacrificed a companion in the blood pool in the choices generator? if you can't, you can't get the Skaen effigy and can't get back the buff for sacrificing the companion.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
One question for you, ladies and gentlemen: are there any decisions/choices that carry over ONLY if you have an actual save game? Or a "unique" set of choices attainable only through playing the first game?

It's possible there are some hidden choices, but I doubt it. If you play around with making custom world status, it is incredibly comprehensive and tracks pretty much all the important decisions and quests.

Erebus

Arcane
we have Maia, a giant who can crush you with her thighs

Oh yeah !

Wait, you say that as if it were a problem.

Seriously, as far as romances in crpgs are concerned, I suspect that "exotic and kinky" is what most people are looking for.

Or do you think that Viconia wasn't by far the most popular romance option in BG2 ?

The romance with Maia is quite alright. Apart from the bug (?) that makes her (Tekehu too) start it as soon as you get her into party. It gets a bit scary, though, when you realize aumaua have pointy teeth.

Lhynn

Arcane
Maia is unfuckable, so is xoti. And they are not exotic in any way.
Maia just looks exotic, while being an absolute bore to interact with. Xoti is so vanilla and boring.

I wish i could give you more depth with my complains, but theres none to be had, they are just banal shit boring.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maia is unfuckable, so is xoti. And they are not exotic in any way.
Maia just looks exotic, while being an absolute bore to interact with. Xoti is so vanilla and boring.

I wish i could give you more depth with my complains, but theres none to be had, they are just banal shit boring.
Yeah,i agree with you. They are like a exotic fantasy of a virgin tumblr girl.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh yeah !

Wait, you say that as if it were a problem.

Seriously, as far as romances in crpgs are concerned, I suspect that "exotic and kinky" is what most people are looking for.

Or do you think that Viconia wasn't by far the most popular romance option in BG2 ?

There's literally nothing exotic about Viconia. At all.

Its literally straight from Fantasy Companion Generator - take a generic human Stacy the prom queen, paint her blue/green/pink/another weird color, add horns or tail, and you've got yourself an "exotic" romance option.

Science-Fiction Companion Generator - take a generic human Stacy the prom queen, add a helmet.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There's literally nothing exotic about Viconia. At all.

Its literally straight from Fantasy Companion Generator - take a generic human Stacy the prom queen, paint her blue/green/pink/another weird color, add horns or tail, and you've got yourself an "exotic" romance option.

Science-Fiction Companion Generator - take a generic human Stacy the prom queen, add a helmet.
But it looks goood! With that blue skin and white/blond hair....oh my,would fuck till i die from hearth attack. You can't compare her to those two ugly bitches!
6f59ea744fb63bd384e946eef432662d--jeux-games-elf-art.jpg

Tenebris

Scholar
Can you say you sacrificed a companion in the blood pool in the choices generator? if you can't, you can't get the Skaen effigy and can't get back the buff for sacrificing the companion.
You get the effigy if you pledged yourself to Skaen. That's about the extent of reactivity I've seen for empowering Woedica. Deadfire really dropped the ball on reactivity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom