Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
- add more complex reactivity to quests, factions backstabbing each other, resolving a quest for one faction affects the quests of another, etc, a la Age of Decadence.

Yes, more Age of Decadence-style quests would be great.

Step one, hide most of the content behind main quest plot-gates, because Vault Dweller cannot into complex chain quests.

Step two, make a completely linear game that takes you on rails from city to city, because Vault Dweller cannot into open world game design

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oooh, programmer stream! Excellent!

Are these the loading times people without an SSD have? I feel sorry for you, truly.

Lol! The way the guy had this door marker glitch where he is trying to point to the symbol to transition into an area but he can't click at it.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Step one, hide most of the content behind main quest plot-gates, because Vault Dweller cannot into complex chain quests.

Step two, make a completely linear game that takes you on rails from city to city, because Vault Dweller cannot into open world game design
As someone who's messed around a lot with variables and such recently, this is certainly the right call to make, at least on the first try. Can't have things spiraling out of control into an unfixable mess.

2house2fly

Magister
Well there are around 100 people that watch it now,can't seeing it being a big sell.

121 people right now, that's a big difference buddy, how dare you say that this game is not popular, how absolutely dare you sir!

No wait, that's 122, we are reaching for the stars baby:lol:
To be fair, they were streaming in the middle of a weekday. Most of their target audience is at work. Insane time to stream, I don't know what they're thinking.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well there are around 100 people that watch it now,can't seeing it being a big sell.

121 people right now, that's a big difference buddy, how dare you say that this game is not popular, how absolutely dare you sir!

To be fair, they were streaming in the middle of a weekday. Most of their target audience is at work. Insane time to stream, I don't know what they're thinking.
We made it all the way up to 131 by my count. Of course, that was before someone asked about 'cuck romances', so who knows how high the numbers could have gotten if the stream had continued.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

We made it all the way up to 131 by my count. Of course, that was before someone asked about 'cuck romances', so who knows how high the numbers could have gotten if the stream had continued.
:negative:
Why is nobody taking my question seriously? It is just the logical next step in the evolution of RPG romance.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been thinking about modding the rules, in the context of Adam saying they are working on making more things moddable.

My main goal in modding the rules would be to try to simplify them, with the goal to reduce the time spent in paused combat, and have the party members maneuver more during combat.

I'm wondering if Penetration/Armor Rating could be completely wiped off by just setting all weapons/armors to have the same value across the board. I'd like to make armor affect only the probability of getting hit, instead of having an effect on how much damage you will take if you get hit, and reduce or remove most of the action speed maluses from armor. Make it more like the IE games.

What I'm unsure of without actually testing is if removing penetration won't make combat too dull and eliminate some choices which are now present. For example while playing Deadfire I've noticed that the main thing I care about when deciding what weapon to equip is the penetration value. If I remove that, won't that make weapons differ only in the damage they make, thus creating no-brainer choices (which would be bad)?

Someone might say, weapons will still differ in the accuracy you have with a give weapon type, because of specialization, but this is just another no-brainer - if all weapons have the same penetration value, different damage, and some give you a higher chance to hit due to your character having specialization in that type, you would always equip the type you are specialized in.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Figuring out the role of armours is a key aspect of the combat system. Once you say that armour soaks damage, you have to leave it at that. The D&D "armour as deflection" concept is older and it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I've seen instances where the "armour soaks damage" concept leads to a tank receiving 0 damage time and time again, which is kinda stupid in D&D concepts, so it's not exempt of problems.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you remove the dmg reduction from armor, everyone will be equipped with the heaviest armor because they can and there is no penalty.
They said they didn't spend a lot of time and money on companions this time around.
Pretty sure Sawyer said they are the most expensive part of the game...

He said that in a general sense, but he also said that they spent less money and time on DF's companions this time around and that's why they are so barebones. They were also barebones in PoE1 too, so make of that what you will.

Theldaran

Liturgist
If you remove the dmg reduction from armor, everyone will be equipped with the heaviest armor because they can and there is no penalty.

Well in IE games that's not always the case, because heavy armour weighs a lot and your cleric or whatever may not have enough strength to move, or even don the armour itself. It was intelligently done even if a bit clunky.

3ED expanded upon it with the DEX bonus limit, you had to carefully choose an appropriate armour that offered you the max bonus.

Also in every version of the rules, the nature of magical items means that a plain Leather Armor can be better potentially than Studded Leather if it has more magical advantages.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For me removing armor damage resistances AND action speed maluses would be two huge steps backward.

That said, I do not love the current AR/Penetration system. It's too... binary. It's very bad if you don't penetrate (so you're kinda forced to find a way), but unlikely to benefit from overpenetration (barring frequent critting - you either have to face much weaker opponents, opponents with severe weakness or play very specific builds for that).

For me the best way to handle armors was already invented over 20 years ago by the creators of the classic Fallouts. Armor types/grades had static Damage Threshold (reduction) values plus % Damage Resistance values. Offering different protections vs different damage types.
Unlike Underrail for example, both of those protections work together. And it's quite possible to entirely shrug off weak hits in heavy armor.

This would create interesting dynamics with weapons also: fast and furious, but with weak ability to penetrate armor vs slow, heavy and cumbersome, but able to successfully land heavy hits even against heavy plate. Plus lower damage weapons with damage types less resisted by armor (blunt?).

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What a genius system.

ps : You're working on a gameplay mod now SirAwesome ? General overhaul ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom