Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Since they literally name-dropped the PC of PoE, why are they still stalling with the official announcement? ;d

Fry

Arcane
timer.png

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since they literally name-dropped the PC of PoE, why are they still stalling with the official announcement? ;d
The timer means 24h for gaming media to report it to gamers, meaning more hype, more people watching the announcement trailer, more people getting the game burned into their brain, more people buying the game.

Also, the final teaser absolutely confirms TheSentinel's statement beyond a reasonable doubt!
Edér is the avatar of Eothas and the final fight of PoE2.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What I'm looking forward to the most is people asking for Chris Avellone to write a character. Hahaha.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Chris writing the return of Eothas. I'm kind of hoping he doesn't return though, to give some weight to the events in history. If I was the writer I'd either start systematically murdering all the gods, causing untold catastrophes or start a war between the gods who are trying to usurp Eothas' portfolio. And mortals would be caught up in all of this, finally showing Pallegina the games gods play.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Chris writing the return of Eothas. I'm kind of hoping he doesn't return though, to give some weight to the events in history. If I was the writer I'd either start systematically murdering all the gods, causing untold catastrophes or start a war between the gods who are trying to usurp Eothas' portfolio. And mortals would be caught up in all of this, finally showing Pallegina the games gods play.
Chris isn't coming back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/156370531741/at-the-risk-of-jumping-the-gun-on-an-upcoming

At the risk of jumping the gun on an upcoming announcement, resolve a debate for us. Does "Hel" in the Pillars of Eternity universe refer to an underworld/afterlife corresponding to our conception, or is it cognate with Greek Helios and the sun and thus linked to Eothas.

Hel’s etymology is Eld Aedyran. It refers to two things: 1) the afterlife, where souls go between incarnations 2) the interior of Eora, deep in the ground, where people assume adra pillars originate. Most people believe these are the same thing/place, just differentiated by being in the Here (physical world) or the Beyond.

Hel does not have an inherently negative connotation in Eora, i.e. it is not imagined/described as a realm of fire and brimstone where souls or tormented.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Isn't the afterlife called the Wheel though? Why are there a bajillion names? "But there are a bajillion names for the afterlife in real life, too", yeah, that's going in too pretentious.

Glaucon

Prophet
The problem with trying to mimic the actual complexity of real life in fantasy literature--no one cares that much. It's made up and consciously understood as being made up.

Jezal_k23

Josh said:
Hel does not have an inherently negative connotation in Eora, i.e. it is not imagined/described as a realm of fire and brimstone where souls or tormented.

OK, I get it. Not necessarily bad connotation, not imagined as realm of fire and brimstone. Well then the usage of "fires of Hel" in the teaser certainly could be confusing by leading people to the interpretation he refuted.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Polygon: "Is it AM or PM?"

From Google cache:

Obsidian announces Pillars of Eternity 2
The sequel will be crowdfunded, and offer equity in the game

The team at Obsidian Entertainment is going back to the well, announcing Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire as a high-profile, equity crowdfunding effort through Fig. The campaign goes live today, and is seeking at least $1.1 million, with $2.25 million open for equity.

The original Pillars of Eternity began as a Kickstarter campaign called Project Eternity, which raised nearly $4 million in October of 2012. The isometric role-playing game promised to be the spiritual successor of classic games like Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment. The final product was well received by fans and critics alike, and featured a pausable, real-time combat system and multiple branching story paths with over 80 hours of gameplay, not including downloadable content.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire promises to pick up where that game left off. A direct sequal, it promises to take the statue of Caed Nua, previously conceived as an elaborate sidequest funded in large part by Kickstarter backers, and turn it into the centerpiece of the entire game.

“Eothas ... the god of light and rebirth was thought dead, but he now inhabits the stone titan that sat buried under your keep, Caed Nua, for millennia,” reads a press release. “Ripping his way out of the ground, he destroys your stronghold and leaves you at the brink of death. To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers — answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos.”

The campaign promises players the ability to travel by both land and sea, where they’ll encounter new cultures and environments. Non-player characters will keep their own schedule, which will lead to dynamic quests. Some old party members will even return.

Obsidian even alludes to the fact that players may be able to carry over their save files from the original game to “continue the story you began as the Watcher of Caed Nua ... and see how your decisions and actions in the Dyrwood persist in Deadfire.”

The Fig campaign will feature traditional, rewards-based crowdfunding as well as equity investment for non-accredited, non-high-net-worth individuals. The terms of the investment opportunity will be available on the campaign page when it goes live. For more on Fig, see our StoryStream.

Ivan

Arcane
“Eothas, god of light and rebirth was thought dead, but he now inhabits the stone titan that sat buried under your keep, Caed Nua, for millennia. Ripping his way out of the ground, he destroys your stronghold and leaves you at the brink of death. To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers — answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos.”

The campaign promises players the ability to travel by both land and sea, where they’ll encounter new cultures and environments. Non-player characters will keep their own schedule, which will lead to dynamic quests. Some old party members will even return.

Obsidian even alludes to the fact that players may be able to carry over their save files from the original game to “continue the story you began as the Watcher of Caed Nua ... and see how your decisions and actions in the Dyrwood persist in Deadfire.”
pillars_deadifre_desert_temple.png

pillars_deadfire_concept_the_crew.0.jpg

"The campaign goes live today, and is seeking at least $1.1 million, with $2.25 million open for equity."

Mystary!

Arcane
Meh. They better get rid of the backer npc/plaques this time. Investigating crypts have never been so anti-climatic "Fuckface McFaggot wuz here!!!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom