Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Chunkyman

Augur
No interest. Never finished the first one as the combat was atrocious and the story was microwaved dogshit.

tormund

Arcane
We must slay Roxor, then use his fluids to paint kabbalistic symbols over a suitable portion of city of our choice wherein we'll then engage in balanced ceremonial orgies in order to appease the Ultimate Avatar of Balance.

Roxor's unbalanced and OP transgression shall never be forgiven by us of the Codex.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Those weather effects look really nice. Visual quality in general looks greatly improved.

Doma

Augur
Congratulations! You are officially the 422nd backer of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire by Obsidian Entertainment.

422 Blaze It! God damnit.. almost.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So Carrie Patel is not narrative lead? She was just just labelled as "Narrative Designer" in the video.

Delterius

Arcane
2dsbDnb.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Here's mah dollahs sawyer sir

My main concern with the plot is that it sounds like exactly the kind of vague motivation the first game had - i.e. "you must chase X because your life depends of it due to mystical, unexplained phenomena."

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The plot hook seems completely ass-backwards. It's like they can't find the right balance. First game had plot hook that was far too vague, so now they went with "well, a God shows up and destroys your castle". Sigh.

That said, the graphics look fucking amazing. It really push isometric graphics to completely new level, and I didn't think that was even possible given how excellent first game looked.

Sizzle

Arcane
Hope they don't screw up progression with multiclassing, but as for all the rest - looks excellent, and combat seems like it'll be much more visually clear.

Anyways, can't wait to see the stretchgoals! :salute:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

omg. Omg! OMG!

This is the best afternoon ever this week and I planned my whole afternoon around this announcement so I could be there when the clock struck zero!

Going to watch the video now.

And back. Thank-you for waiting.

I thought the book page was going to flip for the introduction when Edér was speaking just like it does in IWD. <3 Very happy to hear about the loading times and screens plus weather! I hope they sell umbrellas for our characters so we can RP along with the rain.

Adam looks great with a beard! :o

Thanks,
Randal

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame on...you can't get fooled again!

(Besides, I'm fucking broke :negative:)

AN4RCHID

Arcane
PCGamer writeup has some quotes from Sawyer and a new (?) image: http://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-ann...nity-2-deadfire-crowdfunding-campaign-begins/

Obsidian Entertainment's recent bout of Twitter teasing has now been officially unveiled as Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, the sequel to the studio's hit 2015 fantasy RPG. The studio also launched a new crowdfunding campaign today on Fig, with an overall goal of $1.1 million.

Pillars 2 begins with the return of Eothas, the god of light and rebirth, who's not quite as dead as everyone thought. After inhabiting the stone titan buried beneath the keep at Caed Nua, he breaks free, trashes the places, and leaves you for dead. Naturally, there's only one thing to do: "To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers—answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos."

"Our goal for Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is to improve on what fans loved about the original while adding features our fans want to see," Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart said. "Truly living cities, more freedom to explore the open world, and pushing what we do best at Obsidian—letting players define and play the role they want to play."

Lead designer Josh Sawyer echoed that sentiment, saying that the focus of the new game will be on "refinement, pacing, and overall quality."

"We're still making a huge game, but it's more important for our content to be high quality than it is for us to have a gargantuan 200+ hour game," he said. "Many players criticized us for having too many mob/filler fights in Pillars. It's something we tried to address in patches, but it's a larger focus for the sequel. Not every fight is a setpiece encounter, but it's okay for us to have more areas that are simply for exploration, environmental storytelling, and down time."

Deadfire will feature familiar faces from the first game, plus new companions with their own unique stories that will change based on the choices you make throughout your journey. That's also true for quests, which may "present different opportunities depending on when and where characters and environments are approached."

Sawyer said that it's too early to commit to anything specific, but "broadly speaking," Pillars of Eternity 2 will be comparable in size to the original. Players who come into Deadfire without prior Pillars experience will be given a recap of events, but "there's no substitute for playing through the first chapter," he added. And if you did, you'll have the option of carrying your progress over into the sequel.

"You will be able to import your endgame saves from Pillars of Eternity—at the very end of the game, Pillars creates a 'complete' savegame," Sawyer explained. "However, if you don't have a save to import or if you simply want to set your own start states, there will be a cool way for you to do so."

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire crowdfunding campaign is live now and runs until February 24. Check out some screens below.

qP2ZgqjwQYDhmd6XEGyVFP.jpg

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The enviroments look really interesting, great to see them cutting loose from the genericness of the first game.

Agree with what others are saying, the jump in visual quality is amazing. Love the weather effects and NPC's reacting to it like in the Witcher.

Voyage by land and sea across the myriad islands of Deadfire to discover new cultures and environments. Help to resolve a multi-layered conflict between the locals, ambitious trading companies, and bands of fierce pirates while following in the footsteps of Eothas.

:takemymoney:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pledged. I liked the first game, despite some flaws and varied quality in writing and companions.

TheScarecrow

Educated
The graphics look really amazing, it seems like a big improvement; but it's not enough to back it for me. I'll wait a bit more, hoping they show something more interesting.

Arulan

Cipher
I backed it. I hope the experience they've gained from the first game is put to good use.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Some tidbits on factions here - http://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-release-date-story-setting

As for what form those faction decisions will take, the dev team are looking toward the example set by last year’s Tyranny.

“In Pillars 1, we dropped the factions at the end of Act 2, and so [players] didn't really feel like their choices were super significant,” admits Sawyer. “Something that I think Tyranny did much better, and something that we want to do for Pillars II, is really establish the factions much more clearly - give the player clearer choices, and let them know when they’re approaching consequences for the choices they made.”

And pace of combat:

One shift that will be immediately noticeable to everyone is the pace of combat. Pillars 1 included an option to slow down time to fight through some of the more intricate scenarios - and Obsidian have now made that the default speed, deeming it “more natural”. Players will, however, be able to toggle faster speeds for any battles they deem to be foregone conclusions.

PIRATE SHIP CONFIRMED??

“We do have something to replace the Stronghold that I think people are going to enjoy,” says Sawyer. “It has a lot more customisation and it’s very fitting for the setting of the game. It’s going to be really nice.”

Although the details remain secret, the studio say we’ll travel around the islands “by land and sea”. Could we be getting our very own pirate ship?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom