Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
I played everyone and I think spellcasters, especially new ones like Chanter, will be most interesting characters to play.
The improvements over non casters are a bit hit&miss (except Monk), like Rogue just being p. banalCe and all that with his dps clicks.

roshan

Arcane
Tim "Wildstar" Cain?

Also I can't believe you fuckers are talking positively in an UNIRONIC matter about David Fucking Gaider of all people. Take a step back and look at what you're doing Codex.

Gaider's writing utterly sucks gay dicks but there's no denying that BG2 was a great game regardless of that, and BG2 was the quintessential IE game, with a bit of PST storyfaggotry, BG1 exploration and IWD combat. It never focused on any of these things but did them well with a charm of it's own. The fact that the Codex beloved Josh Sawyer has epically failed in recreating the fun and interest that game inspired is obviously going to lead to a reevaluation of Gaider's achievement.

Weasel
So if you are "petrified" your health drops, then you become maimed and 'recover via a rest'?

Might as well just call it a poisoning effect if you really don't want characters turned to stone because 'no hard counters' or whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So if you are "petrified" your health drops

No, if you're petrified your stamina is zeroed and all damage goes straight to health.

If you get petrified and then poisoned after that, prepare to die.

If you get petrified and are being bashed by a horde of enemies, prepare to die.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
if you're petrified your stamina is zeroed and all damage goes straight to health.

Good thing I stopped thinking of PoE mechanics in terms of making sense.

Although I still have one comment to PoE designers regarding petrification.

words1.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, the petrification effect is temporary, and with a relatively short duration. Otherwise it would be a save-or-die spell.

Anyway, it's interesting to me that they're willing to implement mechanics that cause damage to bypass stamina and go straight to your health. I thought that might be considered too harsh.

If they're willing to do that, then that possibly opens the door for enemies who can attack the unconscious bodies of your fallen party members and permadeath them. Nasty!

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I don't believe it is just me that finds that's just how those classes play in combat.

You also made a lot of similar defensive statements about people complaining about Wasteland 2 when they were playing. This time, you have the beta - how about playing it a bit yourself and making a conclusion based on having played the game ?

I'm not going to be playing any further until the next patch though because it's pretty pointless. Most of the critical issues have been addressed, just need to wait for a patch and then we can have some proper discussions about where to go regarding combat speeds, class abilities and attributes and whatnot.

The flexibility within classes is also something I miss in PoE. Diversity between classes is great but I would definitely like more different ways to build/play each class.

And I agree that fighter is boring in the BB allthough abilities like ''Into the fray'' do sound interesting: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Into_the_Fray

Not sure if this is posted yet but:

dFDGHPE.png

Edit: Nice :) I have a fanboy tag. Can you also make it so that it shows I'm a PoE fanboy?

Edit2: I wonder what the large remaining issue is. Apparently pathfinding is fixed so that can't be it. I think something with the persistance of quests/items.

Edit3: I know you guys hate Polygon but whatever, video preview: http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/25/6066433/pillars-of-eternity-gameplay-video-preview

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Edit: Nice :) I have a fanboy tag. Can you also make it so that it shows I'm a PoE fanboy?

I was going to post a few days ago that if you keep going like you do, you're bound for a fanboy tag. Looks like I was right ;)

I'm surprised Blaine hasn't got one for Star Citizen yet though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, the petrification effect is temporary, and with a relatively short duration. Otherwise it would be a save-or-die spell.
Alternatively, they could have just called it paralysis.

It is that Rogue thing all over again. Why call a fork a spoon, when it is much more forky than spoony?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

I was going to post a few days ago that if you keep going like you do, you're bound for a fanboy tag. Looks like I was right ;)

I'm surprised Blaine hasn't got one for Star Citizen yet though.

Yes I'm still learning the social code of the Codex so that would have been a good tip.

roshan

Arcane
No, if you're petrified your stamina is zeroed and all damage goes straight to health.

If you get petrified and are being bashed by a horde of enemies, prepare to die.

How the fuck does a character who has been turned into a stone get poisoned? WTF, seriously???

Anyway, it's interesting to me that they're willing to implement mechanics that cause damage to bypass stamina and go straight to your health. I thought that might be considered too harsh.

If they're willing to do that, then that possibly opens the door for enemies who can attack the unconscious bodies of your fallen party members and permadeath them. Nasty!

Why would a petrification effect be temporary? Do stones randomly mutate into flesh? That makes no fucking sense either.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?

And after said character has set another character on fire, how does fire go out after a few seconds without someone dumping a bucket of water on him?

bonescraper

a BG2 clone would imply D&D ruleset (I'm struggling to remember a party-based RPG that wasn't based on D&D, actually, apart from DA)
No it wouldn't? It can't be that hard to emulate D&D into your own game. There was this one game the Codex was really looking forward to quite a while ago :sadface:. Those guys tried to do exactly that. Ask HobGoblin42.

Tim "Wildstar" Cain?
Hyperbole, much? Just because he worked on a MMO, doesn't mean he can't create good cRPG systems anymore. You gotta pay the bills. Braben worked did Kinectimals or whatever, but when he got the chance, he brought Elite back. And ED is the tits. But there were people saying he can't make good games anymore, because he did some tablet shovelware :roll:

purpleblob

Savant
Tim "Wildstar" Cain?

Also I can't believe you fuckers are talking positively in an UNIRONIC matter about David Fucking Gaider of all people. Take a step back and look at what you're doing Codex.

Gaider's writing utterly sucks gay dicks but there's no denying that BG2 was a great game regardless of that, and BG2 was the quintessential IE game, with a bit of PST storyfaggotry, BG1 exploration and IWD combat. It never focused on any of these things but did them well with a charm of it's own. The fact that the Codex beloved Josh Sawyer has epically failed in recreating the fun and interest that game inspired is obviously going to lead to a reevaluation of Gaider's achievement.

Hm, just wondering, what was Gaider's role for BG2? Because the only thing I can think of when someone mention Gaider is his obsession of LGBT and dicks. Kind of makes me feel sick that Gaider is associated with the BG2 (my beloved game!!).

DefJam101

Arcane
Why would a petrification effect be temporary? Do stones randomly mutate into flesh? That makes no fucking sense either.
How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?
magic
And after said character has set another character on fire, how does fire go out after a few seconds without someone dumping a bucket of water on him?
most rpgs don't have even vaguely accurate damage modeling, but if you did implement a system wherein fire made people burn, i think everyone would understand it's modeled this way to represent how fire burns things

mastroego

Arcane
Good thing I stopped thinking of PoE mechanics in terms of making sense.

Although I still have one comment to PoE designers regarding petrification.

words1.jpg

There it goes another staple of fantasy lore: the Petrification effect which dates back to the era of Greek Myths and the once fearsome Medusas.
I must be really getting old. In my times, games were a means to let your imagination roam free.

Well, one must keep up with the times!
Nowadays, thanks to our super-evolved hardware and software, we can have loads of fun with perfectly balanced, finely tuned Spreadsheet Simulators!
IMAGINE that!
Now, no one would ever want to have to meet REAL spreadsheet directly, of course - the dangers of having to face REAL algebraic formulas and all that.
But to simulate one... oh, the joy, the abstraction!
You'll even get colored pixels and stuff to represent scary formulas!

P.S.:
In other news, PoE will implement the Hold Person effect. Of course, it will be called "Petrification", because, flavor.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Infinitron doesn't play the games he has strong opinions about. How's that irrelevant to this thread? Great job mods. Fuck whoever retardoed that, either Gaysun or Infinitron himself.

Lhynn

Arcane
If you actually take infinitron seriously when it comes to his opinion on kickstarter games that have ties to the codex you deserve to get retardoed. But i actually believe his intervetion in these threads serves a purpose, so it doesnt bother me.

Hes a nice guy, hes faster than google, and he knows his game facts better than most, i honestly believe hes invaluable for the codex as is. You guys give him too much shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom