Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Weasel
So if you are "petrified" your health drops

No, if you're petrified your stamina is zeroed and all damage goes straight to health.

If you get petrified and then poisoned after that, prepare to die.

If you get petrified and are being bashed by a horde of enemies, prepare to die.
I think it would be more interesting (and make more sense, but I know JS does not care about it making sense or not) if a petrified character were unable to attack or move for whatever period of time but were also immune to any damage and would need to be dealt with after petrification wore off.
I love the idea of a poor unsuspecting spider trying to bite a stone figure to poison it, I hope it stays in the game. Don't let the simulationist scum get you down Josh!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I love the idea of a poor unsuspecting spider trying to bite a stone figure to poison it, I hope it stays in the game. Don't let the simulationist scum get you down Josh!

"Petrified" doesn't mean "turned to stone" in this game. Remember, nobody in the PoE world speaks Latin.

Copper

Savant
I don't like how opaque the presentation of the systems are here, although I'm only going from screen shots.

On percentiles and items - instead of something saying it gives you +10% to your accuracy (let's say it's 100), say something more immediately reabable, like +10% to Accuracy (Accuracy: 110).

Then you can get the item's stats to update as you hover over different characters, so you can get an immediate understanding of how different characters will perform with the item. (To go all the way, you could have the icons for the different character's actions along the side acting as tabs so you can see how it would impact different abilities, although that could easily just be taken care of by equiping the weapon.)

This should also be integrating into character creation - since your starting kit gets set by cultural background, you should actually be able to see the real, live stats of that kit, and the effect it'll have on your character - speed, deflection, damage, etc. This is especially true for casters, who should be able to get firm numbers on spell duration, range and aoe, ideally with some sort of visualisation. No harm in integrating a simple little environment for the character to interact with, trying out different abilities during character creation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
My irritation comes mostly from the disability of people to actually argue over why a certain design is bad in an absolute way. Instead most reactions are either highly subjective and personal (which is fine but no basis to make absolute claims like the game is a failure/the game is doomed/everything is shit) or people are highly uninformed/prejudiced.
If you build a plane with no wings for someone that hates flying, is it a shitty plane or the design is perfect, as it accomplishes all goals? That's the problem with criticizing PoE.

jdinatale

Cipher
Can someone give me cliff notes for those who don't feel like reading 90+ pages - what's the general consensus, incline, decline, as good as D:OS, not as good, etc..

roshan

Arcane
If they're willing to do that, then that possibly opens the door for enemies who can attack the unconscious bodies of your fallen party members and permadeath them. Nasty!

That sounds incredibly gay. How am I supposed to protect the unconscious bodies of fallen party members? They presumably fell because someone was attacking them, and it's not like I can move them, or cast a spell that protects them, or anything. They're just sitting ducks on the floor for the enemies to sweep up.

You know what would be nasty? If instead of falling unconscious, your characters DIED. Like in the IE games, which this was supposed to emulate as per the kickstarter pitch. Now that was nasty!

SniperHF

Arcane
Can someone give me cliff notes for those who don't feel like reading 90+ pages - what's the general consensus, incline, decline, as good as D:OS, not as good, etc..

Overall incline. Not as good as D:OS for me. If dialog/writing is more important to you then it's probably better than D:OS. But we kinda knew that going in the writing focus would be heavier here then the other big KS project games.

Better than most of the 2005-2012 shit so it's a win far as I'm concerned.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If they're willing to do that, then that possibly opens the door for enemies who can attack the unconscious bodies of your fallen party members and permadeath them. Nasty!

That sounds incredibly gay. How am I supposed to protect the unconscious bodies of fallen party members? They presumably fell because someone was attacking them, and it's not like I can move them, or cast a spell that protects them, or anything. They're just sitting ducks on the floor for the enemies to sweep up.

You know what would be nasty? If instead of falling unconscious, your characters DIED. Like in the IE games, which this was supposed to emulate as per the kickstarter pitch. Now that was nasty!

f7807a21-cant-tell-stupid-trolling_132580428869.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
": I wonder what the large remaining issue is."

Sawyer is in charge still.

"How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?

And after said character has set another character on fire, how does fire go out after a few seconds without someone dumping a bucket of water on him?"

TOOLBAG ALERT!

"You know what would be nasty? If instead of falling unconscious, your characters DIED."

YOU DO DIE IF YOU PLAY EXPERT! R U EXPERT? NAH YOU R ROSHAN, RETART EXTREME!

Renegen

Arcane
As someone who hasn't played the beta, I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this thread. It sounds like the design is so bad it can't even be salvaged... I think.

Cadmus

Arcane
As someone who hasn't played the beta, I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this thread. It sounds like the design is so bad it can't even be salvaged... I think.
Indeed/tealc

I don't really care but I have come to love the overpowered stupid shit from D:OS and hearing stuff like petrification that isn't petrification, inane percentile bonuses to everything, that just screams boring balance to me. The last game where you could abuse teleport that I remember was Heroes IV so D:OS made me really happy. It sounds like if the teleport was in this game, it would only teleport allies who aren't stunned/immobilized and only if there was no enemy in the vicinity. Shit like this, you know. Shit that's not fun. I'll wait and see anyway, maybe it will still be ok.

Jezal_k23

I don't remember who made the suggestion, but simply renaming it to paralyzation made so much sense to me.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't remember who made the suggestion, but simply renaming it to paralyzation made so much sense to me.

Isn't there already a paralyzation effect in the game? I'm pretty sure one of the cipher's abilities induces it. I guess the difference is that with paralyze the character still receives stamina damage while with petrification the character receives direct health damage.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
The petrification comments are annoying, as if that suddenly crosses some border of realism. Use your damn imagination, just like you do with everything else in a fantasy game.

I started a new runthrough of BG2 to refresh my memory. With strong efforts to keep the nostalgia goggles off I feel like a lot of the proposed changes go from the "that sounds godawful" camp to "probably won't affect my enjoyment that much." For me anyways.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The petrification comments are annoying, as if that suddenly crosses some border of realism. Use your damn imagination, just like you do with everything else in a fantasy game."

I agree.

I propose Obsidian goes all the way and make their dwarves have the characteristics of DnD elves and vice versa. And, FIREball inflict ice damage. And, if people whine I'll just tell them to use their imagine.

L0L0L0LLIPOP

mastroego

Arcane
I don't really care but I have come to love the overpowered stupid shit from D:OS and hearing stuff like petrification that isn't petrification, inane percentile bonuses to everything, that just screams boring balance to me. The last game where you could abuse teleport that I remember was Heroes IV so D:OS made me really happy. It sounds like if the teleport was in this game, it would only teleport allies who aren't stunned/immobilized and only if there was no enemy in the vicinity. Shit like this, you know. Shit that's not fun. I'll wait and see anyway, maybe it will still be ok.

Seems like I should try D:OS.
Seems like these guys understand what gaming is about, for a change.

Hormalakh

Magister

if you're using this thread to make an impression on PoE, that's a bad idea. This thread is filled with three kinds of people 1)who hate the game, not because they've actually played the beta but because they have some sort of weird sexual-tension thing going against the lead designer, Josh Sawyer (that's your Volourns of the thread). 2) who haven't played the game and who are defending it based on the theoretical advantages that the designers have advocated for (your Infinitrons) 3) those who are playing and have played the beta and have varying but much milder and more optimistic reactions to the beta especially at such an earlier state (your sensukis, grunkers, vault dwellers, etc).

Basically shit thread with shitposters. don't read if you want actual information. Probably as informative as a Geoff Keighley article :doritos:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The petrification comments are annoying, as if that suddenly crosses some border of realism.

No, it crosses the borders of stupidity if you call a thing a completely unrelated name.
So it doesn't have anything to do with hurrr durr imaginashun.

Dr Schultz

Augur
All this bitching about the lack of non-combat options in PoE ruleset is hilarious. As if PoE weren't a combat focused game (exactly like BG and IWD), or as if any non combat skills/spell/ability/whatever werent't irrelevant at best in the large scheme of its gameplay (exactly like BG and IWD). Sawyer designed a system that actually fits the gameplay and the contents of its game: how dare he :shunthenonbeliever:!!!???

The whole thing is even funnier considering that he actually improved the non combat gameplay of BG/IWD through scripted interactions, a better dialogue system, and hopefully a serious faction system.

Not that I'm saying I like the sad skill system or the moronic attribute system of PoE, but, seriously: you guys are complaining because mages in BG can open locks and attributes are more meaningful (which isn't remotely true in any D&D edition :))? Once in while you should stop considering rulesets as something disconnected from the game they power. Just a suggestion.

They're just a bunch of fanboys who want Baldur's Gate 2.5, even though 3 other infinity games existed. I'm not a fan of Josh, but he is smart not to stick with that atrocious broken system.

I'm not even sure this is the real issue. Simply put: here in the codex there is this pretty common attitude to judge a game from how its ruleset works on paper, and not form how its ruleset, its contents and the other game systems work together in the real game.

4too

Arcane
Completion-ism Uber Alles!

Web page 87 … http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-thread-fun-successfully-ended.93694/page-87

Jaesun said:
Helmets. The single point of cRPG design. DISCUSS!

Infinitron said:
Sensuki said:
Well in this game to be B a N a L c E D they'd have to have a negative and a positive probably

IMO reducing the critical threat range by 1-2 would be enough, but then Josh would probably have them reduce accuracy or something as well ?

Isn't that like saying there should be a benefit from NOT wearing a ring or amulet? It's an equipment slot, you're expected to use it.

Man sees hole, man fills hole! Darwinist imperative thrusts with dynamic tension(™) into the breach!

If it matters not, perhaps any close approximation will fulfill the NEED to complete.

:hearnoevil::hearnoevil::hearnoevil::hearnoevil::hearnoevil::gumpyhead:

Would give a new© meaning to "bucket brigade", if anything that fit, then can wear it!

/////////////////////// " '‪I felt a great disturbance in the‬ … balance //////////////

Trust that aimed / targeted Sawyer critiques are mature indulgences,

not the least under the influence of "False Flag" opinions by personas / guerrilla marketers with lavish Josh Sawyer quotes in their sig.

Guilt by association is for the sycophants of human behavior to chew on.

Hate to think , one in spite would ^bite off^ off FOREVER NEVER NEVER playing ... Rogues in PoE, blaming it superficially on the gimping (balancing) of that class!

Trust a higher order of 'school yard' exists on these distinguished playing fields. ;)

4too

Last edited:

msxyz

Augur
(...) those who are playing and have played the beta and have varying but much milder and more optimistic reactions to the beta especially at such an earlier state (your sensukis, grunkers, vault dwellers, etc).
I've played the beta and have a mildly pessimistic / disillusioned feeling.

Time will tell but I think that PoE will be a classic case of mountain giving birth to a mole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom