Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rake

Arcane
you could try yourself, he most likely won't answer me
Why is he having a problem with you?

Rake

Arcane
I am just going by his reply patterns. When I ask questions on Something Awful I tend to get a reply to 1/5 questions or so. When I ask questions on his tumblr he will answer depending on the topic. He rarely replies to me on the official boards.

Here's a page of quotes of him talking about Attributes:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68...s-perception-the-dps-stat/page-4#entry1517057
Maybe you ask 10 time more questions than other posters, and he tries to be fair...:M

You are 10 times more usefull than the others though, so he is wrong to ignore you

Hormalakh

Magister
when he had that formspring website i'd ask him questions. i'm not going to buy a SA acct or get on twitface to ask him questions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If your criteria for success was 1:1 implementation I feel like you're an idiot. He clearly listened to it, spent time discussing the why's and if's on Obs and read the whole thing. Don't mistake me, I feel like you're an idiot either way, it's just more compounding evidence.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If your criteria for success was 1:1 implementation I feel like you're an idiot. He clearly listened to it, spent time discussing the why's and if's on Obs and read the whole thing. Don't mistake me, I feel like you're an idiot either way, it's just more compounding evidence.

Our solution was based on the fact that Interrupt was going to stay in the attribute system, my assumption was that Josh wouldn't let go of it and that the backers (including us) liked it anyway, even if it is a bit hard to quantify it's actual benefit per point. I don't like their new attribute system as much as ours, it's better than the v278 build but range is a shit thing to add in, and I think Deflection & Concentration together is better than Deflection & AoE. So I made mine into a mod and as I learn more about the actual benefits of attributes, I will update it accordingly to balance the attributes against eachother. I don't care what they do now. Call me an idiot all you like.

There's probably a lot of design decisions I'm not going to like, good thing is I can mod them out of the game. I'm saving every version dll so if anything changes that I don't like I can copy paste the old code in over the top. I'll probably end up doing a combat rebalance at some point when some form of mod tools come out.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Sensuki you're of course free to do what you want, and you've already done more to benefit P:E than any other fan... but if your goal is still to improve the game for everybody, there are probably better ways to accomplish that than tinkering with your mod (or getting hung up on the attribute system for that matter).

In particular the combat still has a ways to go, and your combat feedback thread is the best analysis of what needs doing I've seen so far. If you have it in you, I for one would appreciate more pushing in that direction. Same goes for some of the classes.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I will be doing that, I've been away for the weekend and haven't had too much time to test the new patch. I will be focusing on combat feedback, class balance and all that stuff. Kaz has said they are going to add in targeting reticles, so they'll probably come with the next patch. Matt's also been pretty busy with uni recently so he hasn't been able to help me with some of my theories yet. I wanted to do a post on weapons balancing, but I need Matt do do the graphs for me first so we can work out what the best values are.

My next thread will be a "Fuck you cunts, restore the beetle encounter"

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Main issue I got right now is that if they keep up with their original December release plans and follow the usual code lockout period before release to really nuke out remaining bugs, that's leaving us with barely 2 months here and there is a lot of shit to do. While I'm not 100% satisfied with the latest attribute system, it's somewhat working and a bit more stable than the previous ones overall now that the base is 10 and gains mostly marginal. From here, I'd just say fuck it, keep it as is and then start doing some real balancing around that.

If we keep arguing attribute systems back and forth for the next 2 months, it won't matter anyway because mobs won't be balanced, items won't be balanced, spells won't be balanced, etc. That shit takes time and we haven't even started yet. Priority here is to get as good a release as possible with time they have, we're way beyond trying to get a perfect system here I feel.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Yea, I get that, but the balancing that needs to be done at some point is based on what will be in the vanilla game, not our personal mods :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Do we know why they are fucking around with arrows to show engagement when the IEs did it so elegantly with targeting reticles when the mouse was hovered over a character? I don't see why they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Giving each character enough un-enterable personal space and turning down the vfx bling would go a long way to improving situational awareness in combat.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Do we know why they are fucking around with arrows to show engagement when the IEs did it so elegantly with targeting reticles when the mouse was hovered over a character? I don't see why they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Giving each character enough un-enterable personal space and turning down the vfx bling would go a long way to improving situational awareness in combat.

Quite agree on the vfx, though my main issue is from spells/abilities making things look like a 70s party.
As for engagement arrows, it has nothing to do with targeting mechanics, but more an alternate system based around the concept of Attack of Opportunities from DnD 5E. Simple reticules won't do since you can be engaging up to 4/5 mobs, at variable distances (up to 2m for some classes) while targeting/attacking only one (which might not even be one you're engaged with btw).

Sensuki

Arcane
OOoooooooooooooooooooooooooKAY

SAo5Ic6.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
hope they change the BB so you can create a party from scratch, or make the adventurers shit cost 0g just for testing purposes.
maybe you could mod that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Our solution was based on the fact that Interrupt was going to stay in the attribute system, my assumption was that Josh wouldn't let go of it and that the backers (including us) liked it anyway, even if it is a bit hard to quantify it's actual benefit per point. I don't like their new attribute system as much as ours, it's better than the v278 build but range is a shit thing to add in, and I think Deflection & Concentration together is better than Deflection & AoE. So I made mine into a mod and as I learn more about the actual benefits of attributes, I will update it accordingly to balance the attributes against eachother. I don't care what they do now. Call me an idiot all you like.

There's probably a lot of design decisions I'm not going to like, good thing is I can mod them out of the game. I'm saving every version dll so if anything changes that I don't like I can copy paste the old code in over the top. I'll probably end up doing a combat rebalance at some point when some form of mod tools come out.

I don't disagree with any of this but then it doesn't contradict my post either.

Sensuki

Arcane
hope they change the BB so you can create a party from scratch, or make the adventurers shit cost 0g just for testing purposes.

There's already a mod that adds a dialogue option to the Innkeeper that gives you 500cp every time you select it. So you could buy anything with that.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

That's what I've modded for personal testing on class balancing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2Sj7DjZTEBZ2p0em96RDhuUTg/edit?usp=sharing
It makes the cost of all recruits 1x your level only (and removes BB NPCs icons and slightly changes the alpha of new highlighting system but not really a factor here).

Beyond that, there are a couple console commands (check your keybinds to open this up) that are useful for testing purposes:
  • find <xxx> : finds commands with your given filter
  • findobject <xxx> : find game objects based on your filter (ie: findobject sword)
  • rest : instantly force a rest anywhere, anytime
  • healparty : instantly forces a full health/endurance heal on party
  • addexperiencetolevel 8 : maxes out all party members XP to 28000 (current beta cap)
  • additem <xxx> <count> : adds an item based on guid of it (use findobject) to inventory. Useful to grab lots of base weapons/armors for testing purposes
  • manageparty : opens the manage party UI. This is really screwed and not finished so it might bug out. I found that you can stablize the process a lot by only transferring ONE character at a time and always starting by the LAST entry of characters.
It's not simple nor easy but can get part of the job done for testing purposes.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
would it be possible to add like a "macro" method that fills the stash with like 4 of every armor/weap in the beta, invokable with a console command?

Duraframe300

Arcane
IMO, Josh likely just doesn't give an answer if he can't give a satisfying answer yet for whatever reason. Thats why some topics are ignored compared to others in the meantime.

He's not just doing that in Sensuki's case. I remember him ignoring certain topics back on formspring as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom