Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Infinitron Sensuki

SA is in its block phase. Can you guys update us if Jlsh posts something again?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
What the fuck have they done to the balance in this patch. I have taken no damage at all yet

rYPZoOj.jpg

dOpRFOo.jpg

banal

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
There is no balance with anything, that was my point earlier. They are currently in the same phase DnD Next was when they started adjusting things in their system, without changing the monsters to cope. Once the basics will be ironed out and in a freeze state, then they'll start handling monsters/encounters/items and whatnot.

The only balancing you can find in PoE currently is between characters of your own party and that really is the only way to test anything and this needs to happen fast as I mentioned, because re-balancing every single encounter in your game on 4 different difficulties isn't something you can do overnight.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
They're halving and doubling.

Yea I heard, which is a problem in itself since only people who don't understand shit about a given system, care about quantity more than quality or have no clue what encounter design means, would use this. But ok, they're using this, fine...still need to get started on it at some point and that can't happen until they freeze their basic mechanics and it's way too unstable for now.

Hormalakh

Magister
I guess this is a symptom of waiting "until the end" to finalize core components like the attribute system

mastroego

Arcane
So all the flavor and logic are taken away to make room for Spreadsheet Balanced Superformulas and now it's down to desperate random attempts?
To this I will say lol

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did other encounters get nerfed? I remember the spider cave being ridicilous in v278 on hard. (I liked the beetle encounters.)

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Did other encounters get nerfed? I remember the spider cave being ridicilous in v278 on hard. (I liked the beetle encounters.)

Irrelevant really. Dots and effects are not finalized, mobs are not balanced with the new attribute system, combat mechanics still too unstable to test anything properly outside of a confined environment.

They put mobs in there for show, what they should have done is put testing dummies with DT/Attribute variations with on/off toggle for specific abilities you want to test/simulate and the like. Once that's done you start working on an encounter generator to check things out in a more complex setting, then you apply what you learn to how you design encounters. Hopefully they do that internally...

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Geeesh...I swear every time Mr. Sawyers writes something or talks, the only thing I see is an awful GM nobody wants to play with because he sucks balls, so he ends up being a game designer to make sure he got his way.

How is that even remotely close to the IE experience is beyond me...
Nah, he just wants to win. That's what the game is designed to accomplish: us grudgingly acknowledging that the only way to make it into a good game is to have him do whatever he wants.

Because he's making sure that any other way sucks balls.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
gonna be interesting to see how they balance the game for 40+ hours or whatever. also consider item impact. although I heard they want BG-like "low power" uniques because OP weapons would be too much fun.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
gonna be interesting to see how they balance the game for 40+ hours or whatever. also consider item impact. although I heard they want BG-like "low power" uniques because OP weapons would be too much fun.

Lot of work, that's for sure.
In games like these, dialogs and story is of course a factor, but well designed and properly balanced encounters are also something that matters a lot, especially in the long run as people test the game replay-ability with different builds, higher difficulty, etc. Add to that Ironman mode and you need to be REALLY careful.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
What the fuck have they done to the balance in this patch. I have taken no damage at all yet

last i checked there was something seriously wrong with the bb toons and their attribute calculation. there health points skyrocketed, literally like a 300% buff.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
last i checked there was something seriously wrong with the bb toons and their attribute calculation. there health points skyrocketed, literally like a 300% buff.
Wasn't this supposed to happen? Health gets boosted to 4x and then stamina and health damage are equal.

roshan

Arcane
I guess this is a symptom of waiting "until the end" to finalize core components like the attribute system

I think they did finalize the attributes, it just turned out that Sawyer's design simply sucked, and still does to this day. And until now they are sticking to the utterly stupid STR adding to gun and spell damage decision.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can see combat xp being the third rail that it has become but I never in a million see why might increasing gun damage has become one. The ship sailed on gamism the day the first fighter in D&D slayed a dragon while wearing a full plate armor while carrying 4 full sets of full plate armor in his backpack.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh boy, waiting for this game is like sitting on a rollercoaster. I am optimistic and happy when I see the updates the devs posted about the beta, and get all :negative: when I read this thread about how they fucked up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom