Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Colour Spray

Educated
They really needed to do a lot more work if they wanted this port to succeed and it's not as though they don't already have a good example, in Final Fantasy XII, to work from. The entire party should immediately become clamped to enemy targets once they've been sighted, because it's not even the amount of micromanagement the game requires, but the precise selection which presents the major obstacle for playing this type of game with a game-pad.

You shouldn't have to use cursor selection at all but rather be 'alt-tabbing,' between targets with one set of the shoulder buttons; and radial menus are a poorer design than ordinary text-box menus found in jrpgs for console games because selecting between an icon at the 2 o'clock position instead of one at the half past 2 position requires too overt of an amount of recall from the player; when remembering that the sixth level spell they want to use is at the bottom of the sixth-level spells menu under magic is easier to handle because you can 'chunk' the information into easier to remember categories and doesn't require a challenge of your spacial memory to find quickly and easily.

This entire thing reminds me of that time before the Dragon Age Origins release, though, where they were making really sincere promises that the PC interface was going to be really good, with a tactical overview and everything. They had an entire team (some Asian fella and his friend) working on it to make sure it worked really well with the keyboard and mouse. Alarming though it seemed at the time, being pretty close to release by then. I mean, that turned out alright, yeah? It's a bit clunky, what with it trying to force 'wasd' movement on you like you're trying to 'steer' your character or something. Almost something like you could do very easily with a gamepad... but if you remembered to zoom out the tactical overview was indeed there. Hey, they even brought the thing back for the games third release.

Rev

Arcane
I like good PC games, but I do wish they all had real controller support, not that x-pad or whatever bullshit.

Also, I only post here on occasion. I don't subscribe to this forum's antics that get ridiculed all over the net like a fucking joke.
Pad is better than m&k for action or sports games, and is/can be fine for other genres too, but you want to play with a pad in a top down rpg with a lot of micromanagement where m&k is way superior?
What next, maybe you'll whine about rts games not supporting controllers? I heard a pad would be great to play those kind of games too. :M

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Console players don't like the kind of "RPG" that PoE is.

DA:O,ME:2 now that is about as in depth as you can get for consoles looking at the gameplay and the content. The content of PoE just doesn't appeal to a console gamer (or a CRPG player because PoE was garbage).

Doktor Best

Arcane
I reckon that such console ports are not very cost intensive to make nowadays, they should cover their costs with a few thousand sales just fine. And it gives POE more coverage on mainstream gamejournalism.

Fry

Arcane
The PS4 and Xbone are both x86-based, so porting a PC game shouldn't be all that tough. The vast majority of work went into the interface, I'm sure.

And, yes, the venn diagram of people interested in this game but who don't own a gaming PC must be a sliver. Too bad there's no steamspy for console sales, I really want to see the numbers on this.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Paradox Guy said:
It will be coming to both consoles
First comment:
Damien Bafile said:
Any chance for the switch???
1497320511734.jpg

Drudkh

Learned
I feel bad for Obsidian that they foolishly seem to think that controls even matter for a console port. Ultimately it's the lack of full voice acting that will hold this game back on consoles. Studios seriously underestimate how much westerners recoil at the concept of reading. A game like this would do better with even Torchlight style visuals and full voice acting than all pruning conceivable.

Fry

Arcane
With Paradox financing the console UI and handling distribution, I wonder how much Obsidian even gets from console sales. Not much I'm guessing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With Paradox financing the console UI and handling distribution, I wonder how much Obsidian even gets from console sales. Not much I'm guessing.
Knowing Obsidian, they probably got a terrible deal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, whoever is actually spending the money to make this automatically has the worst deal. It's not Obsidian you should feel bad for.

Bonerbill

Augur
lol, whoever is actually spending the money to make this automatically has the worst deal. It's not Obsidian you should feel bad for.

D:OS did decently on consoles.

D:OS, despite being a CRPG, is actually pretty modern when it comes to presentation, graphics, etc. Having things like full voice acting any multiplayer made it a sweeter game for casuals.

PoE? Not so much. I doubt it will do all that well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A low budget Dragon Age: Origins that plays even more uncomfortably.

But who knows, maybe Volourn will prefer it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
D:OS, despite being a CRPG, is actually pretty modern when it comes to presentation, graphics, etc. Having things like full voice acting any multiplayer made it a sweeter game for casuals.

Whwnen people talk about it, they don't talk about the presentation.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Correction: Or new reviews written by people who already played it on PC.

At least one of the reviews sounds like the guy isn't very familiar with PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom