Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Rev

Arcane
But the market in mobile phones will not be playing this kind of games anyway
Console players don't like these kind of games neither.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Console players don't like these kind of games neither.

READING CHECK FAILED MATE. BEEN PLAYING TOO MUCH CONSOLE GAME THAT YOU GOT ATTENTION SPAN OF ONE LINE OF TEXT?

I mean if they could do the port with fractions of the cost then why the hell not

This kind of game will never be big in console

Rev

Arcane
The point of your post was that even if the market for PoE and games like that is small on consoles it's bigger than on mobile phones or tablets, where it doesn't exist.
I don't think that's the case, the Enhanced Edition of BGs and other similar projects probably sold more on iOS and Android than T:ToN sold on consoles, and even more than PoE, which unlike T:ToN is a commercially successful game on PC, on ps4 and xbox.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The point of your post was that even if the market for PoE and games like that is small on consoles it's bigger than on mobile phones or tablets, where it doesn't exist.

But it is not my "point" :lol:

The suitability that I was talking about was mainly about control, in which RTWP will be so clunky to play with a controller but will actually decent on a touch screen.

Which becomes unfortunate that the only device suitable with RTWP 40 hours RPG games, besides PC, is the one where they will not be popular at all

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The install base for mobile devices is so large (we're talking billions of people here) that I suspect it would actually be impossible for these games to not sell more than consoles there, in absolute numbers. They'd have to be priced appropriately of course.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Billions of people sounds a bit much. I'd be surprised if even 1 billion people have smartphones/tablets on which to run these games. The majority of people don't live in First World countries.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
always been my dream to play PoE on the go!
Jokes aside, it would be nice game for the tablet, if the current hardware can handle it. I own 12'' android tablet with a scriber and playing Beamdogs ports of IWD and BG2 is all right. Not as smooth as m+k but good enough.
I hope this flops, otherwise PoE3 will be multiplatform product without soul. Stupid changes in PoE2 like decreased party size are bad, but going further would be a death of this IP.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

PoE 1 will be released on Switch this year, via Versus Evil, not Paradox: http://versusevil.com/news/versus-evil-maps-out-2019/

Following on from its PC launch in 2018, the critically acclaimed and award winning RPG, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire heads to console for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this year, complete with a brand new turn based mode. PlayStation and Xbox One players will at long last be able to explore the exotic Deadfire archipelago and experience the classic RPG gameplay and handcrafted adventure which won the hearts of many fantasy RPG players in 2018. Nintendo Switch players will also get a special treat when the originalPillars of Eternity launches on the platform later this year, courtesy of Versus Evil.

Codex Year of the Donut
Are enough people actually buying these to make it worth the effort?
Especially when it comes to Nintendo/Sony consoles which are a major PITA to get licensed for

Quillon

Arcane
Strange its Versus Evil publishing it, even using the same trailer of original console release.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's probably done for IP recognition. You know how big clothing/jewelry chains open up stores in cities or areas where it's obvious they won't be making ends meet but do it for brand prestige? It's kinda like that with PoE, with the exception there's no prestige.

Quillon

Arcane
• The deep and classic Real-time with Pause Combat system that feeds your inner tactician.

yes.png
:D

Efe

Erudite
"Hey look, we can sell on consoles!"
and they proceed to consolify their upcoming games

Brancaleone

Liturgist
It's probably done for IP recognition. You know how big clothing/jewelry chains open up stores in cities or areas where it's obvious they won't be making ends meet but do it for brand prestige? It's kinda like that with PoE, with the exception there's no prestige.
Maybe they still hope against all hope that they might find some sucker to license the IP to.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The whole "console players don't like this kind of game" is kind nonsense. Let's face it, generally speaking people don't like playing CRPG, doesn't matter it's on PC or console or mobile. It's a niche genre.

So why not port it to more platforms, it cost very little and can might make decent cash.

The Real Fanboy
The whole "console players don't like this kind of game" is kind nonsense. Let's face it, generally speaking people don't like playing CRPG, doesn't matter it's on PC or console or mobile. It's a niche genre.

So why not port it to more platforms, it cost very little and can might make decent cash.

Yeess and there's going to be sooo much more cute fan art, especially when Deadfire all glowed up in handheld beauty shows up!

The Real Fanboy
Obsidian are showing off 10 minutes of Pillars of Eternity on Switch :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom