Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Custom Playlist

Like speedhacking and custom portraits, a custom music playlist for your RPG is essential to your descent into LARP and eventual homelessness.

Here's part of my Pillars of Eternity custom playlist:

mus_town_caed_nua.ogg
Queen (Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) - Teo Torriatte (Let us cling together)

mus_town_defiance_bay.ogg

U2 (City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra) - With or Without You

mus_combat_a.ogg
Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables

mus_town_oldsong.ogg
Keane (Prague Philharmonic Orchestra) - Somewhere Only We Know

mus_town_twin_elms.ogg
The Who (Pete Townshend's Lifehouse Chronicles) - Baba O' Riley

I found an awesome classical guitar song to play during Gilded Vale, I think it really captures the mood of the town:

Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tarrega

For the inn songs I replaced them with jason becker's renditions of Paganini's 5th and 24th caprice (classical guitar, of course). So far they're good, appropriate, and not too annoying. The third inn song can be hilariously replaced with Gypsy Kings - Hotel California (from The Big Lebowski)

The sun and shadow dungeon is friggin' awesome with the Royal Symphony's version of Shine on You Crazy Diamond

Combat and woodland areas are still hard to find the perfect songs, but I've been loving this Mendelssohn Scottish Symphony, 4th Mov for combat:

The character generation screen is hard to pin down for me, too, but not nearly as bad as the combat and woodland areas.
Right now I'm going with the adagio movement from Spartacus, which we all might remember from another beautiful Coen Brothers movie, the Hudsucker Proxy:

This video can get too loud so don't rip this exact youtube song.

I finally found some good woodland area songs. For brevity, here is a list of music I use which can be found via youtube. The Pillars of Eternity filename to replace is in the beginning, with the name of the song afterwards:

mus_combat_a - Ennio Morricone 18 The Untouchables (from The Untouchab~1

mus_combat_c - WC2 10
*note - this is the Warcraft 2 soundtrack, track 10.

mus_combat_f - Instrumental De Beers Commercial

mus_combat_g - Felix Mendelssohn The Symphony No 3 'Scottish' 4th movement

mus_dungeon_heritage_hill - Chopin Funeral March Orchestrated Version

mus_dungeon_sun_and_shadow - The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pink Floyd)

mus_global_character_creation 1 - Aram Khachaturian Spartacus Adagio

mus_global_character_creation- Aram Khachaturian Spartacus Adagio - Copy

mus_town_caed_nua - Queen Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together)(Orchestral)

mus_town_defiance_bay - U2 City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra With or Without You

mus_town_dyrford - Prague Philharmonic Orchestra Somewhere Only We Know

mus_town_inn_a - Jason Becker Paganini 5th Caprice - Copy

mus_town_inn_b - Classical Guitar Eliot Fisk 5th Caprice in A Minor (PAG~1

mus_town_inn_c - Bach Lute Suite No4 BWV 1006a - Copy

mus_town_inn_filtered_a - Jason Becker Paganini 5th Caprice

mus_town_inn_filtered_b - Classical Guitar Eliot Fisk 5th Caprice in A Minor (PAG~1 - Copy

mus_town_inn_filtered_c - Bach Lute Suite No4 BWV 1006a

mus_town_oldsong - U2 City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra With or Without You

mus_town_ondras_gift - Offenbach Barcarole aus 'Hoffmanns Erzählungen'[1]

mus_town_twin_elms - The Who London Symphony Orchestra Baba O'Riley

mus_wilderness_burial_isle - Mozart Requiem

mus_wilderness_dyrwood - M K Ciurlionis Miske (In the Forest) (Normalized)

mus_wilderness_elmshore - OST Land Before Time Soundtrack Discovery of the Great Valley Movie Version

mus_wilderness_encampment - OST Land before time 01 the great migration

mus_wilderness_old_watcher - Bach, Stokowski Chaconne in D minor from Partita No 2, BWV 1004

px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_01 - Vivaldi Winter English Chamber Orchestra Action Shortcut (edited) - Copy

px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_02 - Vivaldi Winter English Chamber Orchestra Action Shortcut (edited)

px1_mus_dungeon_durgans_battery - Vivaldi Winter English Chamber Orchestra

px1_mus_inn_c - Bach Lute Suite No4 BWV 1006a

px1_mus_inn_c_filtered - Bach Lute Suite No4 BWV 1006a - Copy

I'm particularly fond of Vivaldi's Winter for Durgan's Battery, and the combat music can be used to cut to the "action part" of that song.

Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks as the area for the Searing Falls ends up using the dungeon_heritage_hill song, and some other overlaps occur that might not work perfectly with your music choice.

With this music and custom portraits and the new patches + expansion, Pillars of Eternity is a friggin' awesome game for people who don't have Onset Baldur's Gate Obsession Disease (OBGO).

Cheers,
Grape

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom