Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Director's Commentary Streams with Josh Sawyer

Sentinel

Arcane
they've been live for a while twitch.tv/obsidian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So yeah, that wasn't incredibly interesting. Josh ignored some of my questions but I'm also kind of running out of good questions to ask. It'll be good when PoE2 is finally officially announced and he can stop being coy about things.

Quillon

Arcane
I couldn't think of a question to ask, asked about customizable AI at the last minute aaand it requires too much resources as most other things...

jaydee2k

Savant
So yeah, that wasn't incredibly interesting. Josh ignored some of my questions but I'm also kind of running out of good questions to ask. It'll be good when PoE2 is finally officially announced and he can stop being coy about things.

You should have known that he's bored from your questions since the last episode... :P

Sentinel

Arcane
It's time for them to stop doing these streams.
we're 3 streams in and people were running out of questions. Most questions were repeated and most answers were "yeah that'd be cool but we don't have time or know how to do that shit".

Fairfax

Arcane
I watched a bit of the stream and it was pretty boring. There was a good question about a tropical setting, which sounds really cool, but Sawyer dismissed it as too hard, just like most of the questions there and in the Codex interview. With that kind of mentality and a potentially less talented team, PoE2 will probably be the ultimate more of the same sequel rather than the BG1->BG2 jump some are expecting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a good question about a tropical setting, which sounds really cool, but Sawyer dismissed it as too hard

? That doesn't make any sense. I watched the entire thing and don't remember anything like that. Perhaps you're referring to his references to implementing specific environmental weather effects or something like that.

Fairfax

Arcane
There was a good question about a tropical setting, which sounds really cool, but Sawyer dismissed it as too hard

? That doesn't make any sense. I watched the entire thing and don't remember anything like that. Perhaps you're referring to his references to implementing specific weather effects or something like that.
What? It's right there in the chat, you even told the guy it was a good question. :lol:

Sawyer said it would be hard because of the vegetation and that they tested it early on, but it didn't work well. I was skimming through the vod, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about tropical scenes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

? That doesn't make any sense. I watched the entire thing and don't remember anything like that. Perhaps you're referring to his references to implementing specific weather effects or something like that.
What? It's right there in the chat, you even told the guy it was a good question. :lol:

Sawyer said it would be hard because of the vegetation and that they tested it early on, but it didn't work well. I was skimming through the vod, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about tropical scenes.

Oh, he was probably talking about the trees that moved in the wind in very early Pillars of Eternity 1 footage. They ended up not being able to do that and some people were upset.

In general, since PoE2 isn't officially announced yet and Josh insists on pretending it's a secret, it's kind of understandable that he's deflecting questions away by turning them into theoretical debates about technical issues. But we've also seen this:

Sentinel

Arcane
That answer to the mages and utility spells (invis, time stop, levitation and using them in dialogue/combat) makes me believe PoE2 won't see any major improvements over PoE1.

Seems like none of these devs know what made their past games good. Reminds me of DICE asking fans what they liked so much about Bad Company, because they couldn't tell themselves.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wot. He said he wouldn't want to create spells that can only be used in dialogue and scripted sequences. The past games didn't even let you use the ones that are also useful in combat (like the White March does)

Quillon

Arcane
There was a good question about a tropical setting, which sounds really cool, but Sawyer dismissed it as too hard,

I found it strange that he dismissed it too hard, saying weather effects are hard to author etc when not long ago he did a presentation with a weather effects section, how to do it etc.

Sentinel

Arcane
Wot. He said he wouldn't want to create spells that can only be used in dialogue and scripted sequences. The past games didn't even let you use the ones that are also useful in combat (like the White March does)
He said he didn't want classes to have exclusive access to extremely powerful spells like time stop and invisibility and would rather relegate them to scrolls that anyone can use.
I don't even think he mentioned dialogue at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Eh? You just said that he did:

(invis, time stop, levitation and using them in dialogue

He said that if characters were to be given the ability to levitate in dialogue/scripted sequences, he'd prefer it be with the use of an item, like crowbars and ropes in PoE. That has nothing to do with spells that might have combat applications like time stop and invisibility.

BTW, he also said that theoretically you could have Wizard spells (not other spellcasting classes, just Wizards) that are only useful in dialogue/scripted sequences, because Wizard scrolls are also items that can be found in the world like crowbars (so a player wouldn't get them by wasting points on a non-combat ability on level-up). I kinda doubt that will happen, though.

Sentinel

Arcane
Eh? You just said that he did:

(invis, time stop, levitation and using them in dialogue

He said that if characters were to be given the ability to levitate in dialogue/scripted sequences, he'd prefer it be with the use of an item, like crowbars and ropes in PoE. That has nothing to do with spells that might have combat applications like time stop and invisibility.

BTW, he also said that theoretically you could have Wizard spells (not other spellcasting classes, just Wizards) that are only useful in dialogue/scripted sequences, because wizard scrolls are also items you find in the world (so a player wouldn't be choosing an ability on level-up that can't be used in combat). I kinda doubt that will happen, though.
The question he was asked separated the usage of those spells in combat and dialogue. The guy first asked about them for combat, and then "What about using them in dialogue?". Sawyer didn't mention shit for dialogue usage. Just like he dodged the very same question on the previous stream with a "would be cool, but we have no time for that because there's so many options possible dude lmao i dont actually wanna put in effort".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
He explicitly compared those theoretical magical ability items to PoE's crowbars and ropes, so he couldn't have been talking about anything other than dialogue.

Of course it's kind of funny to get mad about the idea of relegating powerful magical abilities to items that anybody can use. Invisibility potions, anybody?

Sentinel

Arcane
He explicitly compared those theoretical magical ability items to PoE's crowbars and ropes, so he couldn't have been talking about anything other than dialogue.

Of course it's kind of funny to get mad about the idea of relegating powerful magical abilities to items that anybody can use. Invisibility potions, anybody?
He didn't at all.

Infinitron, be honest. Feargus promised you a share of the profits made from PoE2 sales, didn't he?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:lol: I get it, you're too lazy to search through the video and you want me to do the work. OK, I'll oblige.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah, no one wants classes to have any personality or identity whatsoever.
Everyone had so much fun with PoE's interesting and entertaining spells.

Fairfax

Arcane
There was a good question about a tropical setting, which sounds really cool, but Sawyer dismissed it as too hard,

I found it strange that he dismissed it too hard, saying weather effects are hard to author etc when not long ago he did a presentation with a weather effects section, how to do it etc.
It wasn't surprising, to be honest. Even if he knows there's a decent chance it could work out, he's not passionate and ambitious enough to take the risk. He's clearly not willing to go very far unless it's something he can try to fix on his own, like systems design. He'll play it safe with everything else, and that's why PoE2 will be much more Icewind Dale 4 than Baldur's Gate 3.

Quillon

Arcane
he's not passionate and ambitious enough to take the risk.

Maybe he is also saving his passion and ambition for his historical rpg beside the cool historical lore bits which can be adapted into pillows also.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Which sounds more likely to you?

1) Josh Sawyer went to the effort of giving a full-blown talk about implementing fancy weather effects, but now he's going to throw all of it away because you heard him say the words "hard to do" in a livestream.
2) The game isn't announced yet and he's keeping his cards close to his chest.

Oh, he was probably talking about the trees that moved in the wind in very early Pillars of Eternity 1 footage.

Yup: https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian/v/112158558?t=48m40s

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom