Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced and Live on Fig

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you kidding?

I may have been stupid enough to back the original and was blind to the inevitable outcome, but at least I have some capacity to learn from my mistakes.

I think it will be a better game for sure, and a new lead designer and lead system designer presents an opportunity for some change, but there's no fucking way I'm backing another Obsidian (or inXile) project. In fact I highly doubt I'll participate in another crowd funding project again.
What about Whalenought studios?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I intend to continue contributing to Copper Dreams (and maybe the SitS expansion), but these days I don't have very much spare time. I was thankful to get a week or so of testing in for Expeditions Viking, that's going to be a good game. I hope lots of Codexers give it a red hot crack.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Are you kidding?

I may have been stupid enough to back the original and was blind to the inevitable outcome, but at least I have some capacity to learn from my mistakes.

I think it will be a better game for sure, and a new lead designer and lead system designer presents an opportunity for some change, but there's no fucking way I'm backing another Obsidian (or inXile) project. In fact I highly doubt I'll participate in another crowd funding project again.
come on join the fun
burning-money-dollars-table-fire-1378245820F.gif

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Somebody already suggested in this or the other thread that Eder might become avatar of Eothas and be the endboss, which I think would be pretty amazing but is probably unlikely due to the butthurt it would cause.

Suicidal

Arcane
As much as I would like this to happen it most likely won't. Eder isn't really what you might call avatar material. He's not a priest or even a particularly devout believer (he mentioned that there were times when he doubted Eothas IIRC), but just a simple man of average faith in his god.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I intend to continue contributing to Copper Dreams (and maybe the SitS expansion), but these days I don't have very much spare time. I was thankful to get a week or so of testing in for Expeditions Viking, that's going to be a good game. I hope lots of Codexers give it a red hot crack.

Your misgivings have been alleviated?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Plot twist: Durance is possessed by Eothas which is why he survived.
More like Durance felt bad for being used to kill Eothas and started the Eothas resurrection ritual and caused all this.

Close, but more like Durance used his knowledge as a priest of Magran to resurrect Eothas to get his revenge against his "whore of goddess" for using him as a cats paw.

Except Durance might have thrown himself on a pyre, so...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Speaking of 25 years since Ultima 7...

When this game will be released? Three years from now?

Man, on the next years I'm seriously thinking of finding something more productive to do with my spare time and only come back when Infinitron announces something is released, maybe the codex still exists by 2029 when VD's colony ship RPG is released. Everytime I see a kcisktarter like this I remember I'm getting old.

From 1995 to 2005, if you stretch things a bit and do 1990 to 2005, you had most of the top 70 RPGs of the RPG codex released at that time, not even including the trash, and not only RPGs but other genres too were exploding, from 2012 to 2017, five years on the new incline, you had Larian, Obsidian and InXile releasing 8 games. We had some quite good indies too but they release stuff on a really slow motion. Average of 1 and a half big release by year with some smaller projects. To make matters worse, I would say with exception of Larian (That are making a fucking sequel too), Obsidian and InXile are still riding hard on nostalgia and making fucking sequels of their nostalgia based products now, meaning that if you are expecting more from this slowest recovery of decline ever...

Average RPG player on the 21th century:
8083837.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why is Sensuki butthurt about Pillars? I know he was a beta backer and gave feedback, but did something personal occur?

He was cucked by Obsidian, i.e. he sank all those hours into beta testing Pillars for free and in the end they made a game for goons and not people like him.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I haven't touched PoE after I finished it way back when it was released. I don't know how much the game was improved with patches and the expansion pack(s), but for me there are two things that they absolutely must fix:

1) Click-to-win combat. I don't think I've played another RPG in my life that was as poorly-balanced as PoE. The challenge somewhat holds up for the first act for the game, but after that there's barely anything in the game that can kill you. In a game with such a ridiculous bodycount it's a bit of a problem when pretty much everything the game throws at you is trash mobs.
2) The reactivity or the lack of it. Initially I expected PoE to be a pretty short game, perhaps only slightly bigger than the second and third Shadowrun games, but no, it was fucking long. Despite the easy combat it probably took me longer to finish than BG2, or at least it felt like it. It took me twice as long as New Vegas, which was already a big game. There was more than enough content, but half of it probably should've been cut in order to flesh out the rest of the game, as it started to feel incredibly shallow after a while. It really was a case of "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle", and for some reason it bothered me a lot more than it usually does. Maybe it's just because I was expecting a bit more from an Obsidian game, and because neither the combat nor the story were interesting enough to drive the game forward. Or maybe it's just because I couldn't unsee the Facebook stronghold and certain other parts where the lack of depth became apparent.

Beggars can't be choosers, so I could probably live with most of the other flaws, like the Sawyerian mechanics, the poor writing or the ridiculous backer content (which hopefully won't make a comeback, at least in the same form), but the sequel really needs to be something more than a combat-focused game pretending to be a story-driven game that fails on both fronts.

Ivan

Arcane
Why is Sensuki butthurt about Pillars? I know he was a beta backer and gave feedback, but did something personal occur?

He was cucked by Obsidian, i.e. he sank all those hours into beta testing Pillars for free and in the end they made a game for goons and not people like him.

so HOW, and WHEN, did Sensuki become embittered?

Turok

Erudite
Why the stretch goals don't offer new content? like a new city or something like that and why add spanish in 2m, mi native language is spanish ( i know you people notice it right now :D) and i really hate those translations, is better play it in the original language.

Flou

Arbiter
Why the stretch goals don't offer new content? like a new city or something like that and why add spanish in 2m, mi native language is spanish ( i know you people notice it right now :D) and i really hate those translations, is better play it in the original language.

Because creating a new city in to the game costs a lot more than 200k and might push back the release date as it takes time to create it. Plenty of Spanish people don't speak proper English, and a lot of them has been asking/demanding localization into their language.

ArchAngel

Arcane

So you just called yourself a goon? Because I remember you praising PoE highly after finally playing it. This is refreshingly candid of you for a change.

Sizzle

Arcane
so HOW, and WHEN, did Sensuki become embittered?

Probably around the time he made that massive document about how to overhaul the attributes (many of which ended up being included, but I don't know if Sawyer had those ideas before or after reading it) in the game.

Bester, too, was a fan of the game (he did the IE mod), but he got pissed off because Obsidian kept patching the game, which mucked up his mod.

Now both of them, like, totally don't care about either PoE1, or PoE2, yet they still hang around most PoE topics - Sensuki being more passive-agressive, Bester being all-out dismissive of everything having to do with either PoE, Sawyer, or Obsidian.

Sizzle

Arcane
You didn't just play the game (even though you never finished it :D ), you playtested it, made YT videos about it, wrote a damn thesis about it :D You played more of that game than people who actually liked it.

But if you want to go with the: "Well, after clocking +300h in PoE's beta, I suddenly realized it sucks!" thing, well, that's your prerogative ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom