Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some other games that have percentile based damage reduction have a much easier system to understand. These games often have no 'to-hit' and compare something like Attack Rating vs Armor to determine the amount of damage reduction.

Here you have Accuracy vs Defense to first determine one of four outcomes (crit, hit, graze, miss) then you have to compare your Penetration vs Armor to further determine one of four outcomes before damage is rolled/determined.

I mean, really? :lol:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some other games that have percentile based damage reduction have a much easier system to understand. These games often have no 'to-hit' and compare something like Attack Rating vs Armor to determine the amount of damage reduction.

Here you have Accuracy vs Defense to first determine one of four outcomes (crit, hit, graze, miss) then you have to compare your Penetration vs Armor to further determine one of four outcomes before damage is rolled/determined.

I actually love this added complexity in theory, but it sounds like the numbers need some serious... balancing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not added complexity, it's an added excel spreadsheet that only "tests" if you have eyeballs in your face. Complexity is added through encounter, class, ability and spell design, not overly restrictive and specific micromanagement bullshit that is only of interest to accountants. And no, the defenses don't count because they have a roll attached to them and aren't this narrow in their margins, and you have a choice which defense to target.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok guise i created a new crew
(STarting to)

aweigh-Today at 6:32 PM
I made a dwarf rogue, racial perk one that gives 1x per encounter afflicion supression; -- maxxed out STR CON DEX and RES, dumped INT and PER (ROGUEs come with highest base ACCURACY and i won't be planning to use long ability drations)

Garfunkel-Today at 6:33 PM
wat
are
you
talking
about

aweigh-Today at 6:33 PM
2nd class = WIZARD. picked wiz-kit hich gives even one more free passive affliction defense per encounter,,, enchaner school

Castozor-Today at 6:34 PM
I'm guessing PoE2?

NotAnArtichoke-Today at 6:34 PM
he's building up to his main point
which is that he's making a dwarf rogue/wizard
in order to seduce christian girls into cybering

aweigh-Today at 6:35 PM
spells picked: eldritch aim (DUh) , infuse vitalu essenuce and thrus of tattered veils (Insta-cast and has always-hit property and lastly has interrupt chance HIGH)

weapons: blunderbuss and pistol, and dagger and hatchet

Night G-Today at 6:35 PM
christian lesbian dwarves

NotAnArtichoke-Today at 6:36 PM
magical christian lesbian dwarves

aweigh-Today at 6:36 PM
planning on dual wielding 2x blunderbusses, if melee then switch 2 dagger + hatchet

daggers give deflection now

in pillows 2

i posted cos other 4 will be picked from anyone who bothers giving e a rec, feel free to ake it as unviable and goofy as u wish, i ill provide photo of he char
plan is to iron man poe2 BETA area using custom team, difficulty on veteran

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
was considering taking ARCANE VEIL FOR The deflect but...

infuse VITAL SHIt = gives +5 INT along with life boost

my dumped INT will reach 10, almost then! a few items and there

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
am considering making a barbarian berzerker with 2nd class ranger so i can have him use 2x BLUNDERBUSS doing carnage per bullet, plus backed by ,dawgs n shitt.

frenzied barbarian using blunderbusses with ranger modals for increased ACC and or damage plus carnage on every projectile, barbie ability heals ready and pet helping out.

seems good to me,,,,

question: would the 2nd class, ranger in that example, modify the barbies base ACC (Q Mark)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
YOOOOO
Lacrymas

Barb-Ranger using 2x Blunderbusses
+
Ranger Modals for Ranged Shit enabled
+
Powder Burns (blunderbuss modal)
+
barbarian Carnage
+
barbie rage/frenzied
+
alpha striking using ranger shit like wounding shot (per blunderbuss bullet
= WINNING!

i have no clue how autistic it is but it works awesome so far, exactly hat i envisioned. is a fun combo with very minmal effort.

ALSO: is it e or is doing WIZ 1st class, then picking PRIEST (Wael-- the one who gives a bunch of ARCANE SPELLS) as 2nd class the de-facto best strat for making an arcane caster ///

i mean u get A BUNCH of VERY GOOD Wiz spells from the cleric jobs Magic Domain and leaves u room for picking wiz spells u really want. Also WAEL Domain for cleric job includes ARCANE VEIL.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You are forgetting the different armor types (from leather to plate) with each type having a varied DR for different damage (piercing, slashing, crushing).

Combat was already overengineered and opaque in PoE...

axedice

Cipher
If armor and penetration ratings don't vary too much like in the first game, why aren't they using a % based system with relative damage reduction? As in 10 AR vs 7 PEN is %30 reduction etc. ? % based reduction doesn't have to be a static value, just give the player the ability to reach similar penetration levels so tools like penetration modals / offspec estocs will be useful in high armor scenarios.

As enemy levels and AR values increase, so does the players equipment and if the average enemy is using an exceptional armor, then the player is also using an exceptional weapon so the relative value of penetration doesn't change. If the enemy is a stone golem or a dragon, then it's time to change your tactics. I have to agree with Lacrymas, %75-50-25 seems way to punishing to use low-pen weapons, but you may just stick to your nicely crafted cutlass if your damage is only reduced by say %20. On top of that, nerf overpenetration to %10, so high penetration is still rewarding but not an auto-pick.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
YOOOOO
Lacrymas

Barb-Ranger using 2x Blunderbusses
+
Ranger Modals for Ranged Shit enabled
+
Powder Burns (blunderbuss modal)
+
barbarian Carnage
+
barbie rage/frenzied
+
alpha striking using ranger shit like wounding shot (per blunderbuss bullet
= WINNING!

i have no clue how autistic it is but it works awesome so far, exactly hat i envisioned. is a fun combo with very minmal effort.

ALSO: is it e or is doing WIZ 1st class, then picking PRIEST (Wael-- the one who gives a bunch of ARCANE SPELLS) as 2nd class the de-facto best strat for making an arcane caster ///

i mean u get A BUNCH of VERY GOOD Wiz spells from the cleric jobs Magic Domain and leaves u room for picking wiz spells u really want. Also WAEL Domain for cleric job includes ARCANE VEIL.

Does Barb Carnage work with ranged weapons now? Really?
If so, it's even more abstract now then it ever was... But I somehow doubt it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat was already overengineered and opaque in PoE...

I'm not really sure what the term for it is but it kind of is like a 'spreadsheet design' I suppose. Places more emphasis on player system knowledge and character building rather than execution of actions in the game.
But in the same time, you can win without knowing pretty much anything about the rules (ok, maybe that you should equip weapons), when playing on Normal difficulty.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dual wielding gun + melee weapon on barbie char means if u:

- use a PRIMARY ATTACK ability that means both weapons used during DUAL WIELDED atk ill receive FULL properties and all other misc stuff

FULL ATK, hoever does NOT do that!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
fighter KNOCK DOWN = Prim. Atk.

means both fighter M-hand weapon carries KNOCK DOWN but also the FUCKING BASH!!!!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
only reason to use bashing shields in poe1, bt Tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttthe bash ability slows down the user about 30% MORE THAN NORMAL DUAL-W

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I'm having this annoying sensation that Aweigh is saying something interesting itt but I can't understand a word of it, quite frustrating.
Places more emphasis on player system knowledge and character building rather than execution of actions in the game.
I can't say I don't prefer it that way.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
mmmm dat VISUAL CLARITY is looking mmm mm so polished, so designed... ahh i ish all devs did like Obsidian:

--visual combat clariy = high high high priority!!!!--

game ships

--LOL it looks orse--
Josh gives u <3 u buy game anyway

poe2-visual-crap.png

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Out of all people, you're the one complaining about clarity.
You're right though. I remember they said they worked on that, with a vfx opacity option, but I found it just as messy in the beta with or without the option frankly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not only the VFX, models tend to bunch up too much and they form this jumbled blob of chaos. aweigh, I don't think there's a reason not to go Berserker if you are going Barb, btw.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
CptMace

1st off: i as wrong... Barbie Carnage does NOT affect blundershits. i feel like a fool. :(

anyway, here goes:

FULL ATK

- ignores any accumulated recovery; the abiliy triggers (in POE terms) ASAP

- bonus: also no lingering recovery penalities, only the fraes of animation of said ABILITY, etc.

- uses all equipped weaponry and parses every possible proc, on-hit, etc etc for each weapon making these...
extremely ideal for dual-wielders.

(Notice how 99% of all ROGUE moves are FULL ATK classified subtle guidance from Sawyer there! !!! )

----------------

Prim ATK

- same ignores-pending-recovery-accrual and fires off ASAP, same as FULL ones; also same exact lack of item based recovery penalities

(BTW: this means = HIGH DEX PLaYS WELL WITH FULL AND PRIMARY MOVES; why// i already said so cos after ending only down time are animation fraes hich (in poe1) DEX speeds up.

- only applies whatever it does to ur MAIN HAND WEAPON. off hand weapon strikes noramlly.

Notice how Fighters perks almost all are Prim. ATK // such as knock down, it is a Primary move thus even dual-wielding:

- fighter only has chance to prone enemy from his main hand weapon hitt.

the shield hing was: it was discovered in obs forums shield bash, doesnt count as Dual-wielding, and as such it actually triggers right along with FIGHTERs MAIN HAND WEAPON (on that knock down), meaning:

- fighter gets two seperate chances to prone enemy, 2nd being BASH. if he were dual-wielding it wouldnt work. hed only gett his main-hand weapon (of his dual-wielded two) for PRONE triggering, and 2nd weap would attk normally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom