Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding choices - I really don't think there's going to be more than token nods at previous choices from P1. I also think they are going to disregard Woedica's ending due to how potentially world-shaking it can be, they haven't ever talked about it and when Josh uploaded the pic about the consequences relating to the gods Skaen wasn't included at all. It has the most potential for drama, however, and if I were in their shoes I'd make it the canon ending.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
I guess you could say they'll have a few "canon endings" in the form of preset Pillars 1 saves you can load. I'd like a randomiser, myself.

Adam Brennecke said that there'll be randomizer/"roll the bones" option in kotaku's E3 podcast.

Cross

Arcane
The second thing is because the penalties from an injury, in addition to the max health loss, are usually significant, not trivial, we removed the max health penalty on most injuries—unless that was the main point of the injury.
So they managed to dumb down what little resource management the game had even further? Hard to believe since with health regenerating after every encounter and every ability and spell being per-encounter, they already removed every significant incentive a player had to rest.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Regarding choices - I really don't think there's going to be more than token nods at previous choices from P1. I also think they are going to disregard Woedica's ending due to how potentially world-shaking it can be, they haven't ever talked about it and when Josh uploaded the pic about the consequences relating to the gods Skaen wasn't included at all. It has the most potential for drama, however, and if I were in their shoes I'd make it the canon ending.

Drama not always equal to "good and reasonable plot", I am not want to say Woedica absolutely evil, but what I say that regardless of her goals she asshole and should be punished for that. I don't like Galawain as god, but if his decision would make better life for mortals and cheer them up - sign me up. But I think that devs decided to go with Wael's ending and giant from Kaed Nua is not contain Eothas for real, he contains souls which was transferred after Wael's ending. And he went into ocean, because in depth of darkest waters sleep Cthulhu REAL god or Tzeentch from warp reason why gods was created in first place - they was created to protect civilization from this abomination, but that idiot Thaos decided that better way to do that would be stop world from development science and technology and forbid animancy, instead of fighting this monster. Anyway souls in this giant trying to avenge their suffering by awaking this horrific monster. I know I almost went full Warhammer 40k, but it's just my theory. And I will glad if they will use Galawain ending.

Sannom

Augur
I'm indeed doubting that those penalties are really significant enough that you would want to rest once you've got two or three of them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
But I think that devs decided to go with Wael's ending and giant from Kaed Nua is not contain Eothas for real, he contains souls which was transferred after Wael's ending.

This is not a bad idea. Since they've already decided on the stupid, stupid decision of Eothas returning, you might as well be the cause of that. I like it. Do it, Obs.

2house2fly

Magister
Wait, I don't think I saw this. What pic?

2house2fly

Magister
Hmm. There are no consequences for breaking that vow, so maybe that's why he's not there.

It's a very tricky choice to acknowledge because of its enormous potential implications, and I imagine they probably wouldn't have included it if a sequel was a sure thing, much like they probably wouldn't have revealed the truth about the gods in the first game if they'd known for sure it was the first game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Hmm. There are no consequences for breaking that vow, so maybe that's why he's not there.

There is, his followers create an Effigy and decimate an entire city. Josh also says "exclusive vows to FOUR gods", while the Skaen one is also exclusive and he's the fifth vow. The only god you can't make a vow to is Wael.

Quillon

Arcane
"There has to be talk about each specific ending otherwise they are not implementing it."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can someone ask Josh about Skaen's ending on Tumblr or wherever he frequents?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone ask Josh about Skaen's ending on Tumblr or wherever he frequents?

What exactly do you want to ask? Give me a fully-phrased question and I'll copy-paste it (500 characters or less)

Quillon

Arcane
Skaen's the type of god who'd advise you to break your vows, in fact if you won't he'll take offense.

2house2fly

Magister
That was what I thought when I thought there were no consequences. A)Woedica can't react on any kind of scale because she doesn't have much power, B)Skaen might well figure he has no right to complain about you betraying him

Ent

Savant
Conjured weapons should really be fast cast. Waiting 5-6 seconds to summon a weapon feels horrible when most of the melees have already killed a target.

Deleted Member 16721

They'd be able to make as challenging of a game as they want to.

While I was going to go an a tangent how including a lot of difficulty and challenge options is missing the point of gaming entirely, I won't do it

I'm not going to try to define what a game is to someone else, though. I like to be challenged, usually as much as possible in an RPG, where others may play for relaxation, or social aspects or whatever. While that's not really why I game, they can do what they want, and I understand I'm in a very small minority.

But the overarching point I'm trying to get to is that, if niche RPG fans and fans of challenging games want devs to continue adding challenging aspects to their games (or even attempt to do it), the only way for that to really happen is to have options in the game to please those who don't want as much of a challenge.

They have to sell copies. So either they add options and attempt to give their players more control over the difficulty levels (sliders, more a la carte options, etc.), or the core game itself is just going to be non-challenging or a lot easier by default to turn a profit on the game.

Devs will never be able to please everybody, but giving the player control to tweak their game or easily download someone else's settings is going to get a lot closer to doing that, IMO.

Quillon

Arcane
There'll be Berath's Blessing features that'll add challenges(and blessings). Maybe push Obs to add more challenging features in BB's options.

Elex

Arbiter
They'd be able to make as challenging of a game as they want to.

While I was going to go an a tangent how including a lot of difficulty and challenge options is missing the point of gaming entirely, I won't do it

I'm not going to try to define what a game is to someone else, though. I like to be challenged, usually as much as possible in an RPG, where others may play for relaxation, or social aspects or whatever. While that's not really why I game, they can do what they want, and I understand I'm in a very small minority.

But the overarching point I'm trying to get to is that, if niche RPG fans and fans of challenging games want devs to continue adding challenging aspects to their games (or even attempt to do it), the only way for that to really happen is to have options in the game to please those who don't want as much of a challenge.

They have to sell copies. So either they add options and attempt to give their players more control over the difficulty levels (sliders, more a la carte options, etc.), or the core game itself is just going to be non-challenging or a lot easier by default to turn a profit on the game.

Devs will never be able to please everybody, but giving the player control to tweak their game or easily download someone else's settings is going to get a lot closer to doing that, IMO.
what i learned from mmorpg is: you need to dumb down the difficulty for be accessible to all, and at the same time you need to increase the difficulty in each expansion and patch of the game.

people that play at max difficulty become good, and if the game don’t increase difficulty is too easy for them.

it also create content and replayabilty for other players less hardcore: people watch video, read guides, and maybe find some powefull build to replay the game again at max difficult

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom