Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iznaliu

Arbiter
In the first game dialogue skill checks were useless and pointless. I was checking them because i am checkfag and found out that most of them just give you different dialogue line and that it is.

It's not like there's many games where they are actually meaningful in the first place; a lot of the games that actually bother giving you them just let you skip some of a quest or garner a greater reward/a cosmetic plot option from said quest. Those could easily be implemented in the background without any explicit dialogue checks; the reason why designers don't follow this methodology is because it makes it harder to determine whether a game has C&C or not.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It remains to be seen if skill checks will be useful in dialogue or not, but even in the limited slice of the beta, they are already more useful than in POE1 when it comes to landscape events.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Soooo, what is going on with the beta? These tiny vignettes Josh is drip-feeding us are starting to really scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Quillon

Arcane
Sawyer said:
Basic Chunnel posted:
May have spoken too soon re: the probable frequency of compound dialogue checks
DQ0HTHjVAAAHUvv.jpg:small

Those are all OR checks.

I thought they were AND checks. Multiple checks make it too easy then :/ But for this check only history is in the skill list so the other 2 maybe gained in-game like reputation[with VTC] rather than point allocated and party assisted skill, could be a design guideline for multiple checks :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sawyer said:
Basic Chunnel posted:
May have spoken too soon re: the probable frequency of compound dialogue checks
DQ0HTHjVAAAHUvv.jpg:small

Those are all OR checks.

I thought they were AND checks. Multiple checks make it too easy then :/ But for this check only history is in the skill list so the other 2 maybe gained in-game like reputation[with VTC] rather than point allocated and party assisted skill, could be a design guideline for multiple checks :P
I would like to see checks that you need more than one skill to pass it. Like having 5 lore and 3 streetwise to pass some check.

2house2fly

Magister

How can you have a skeletal brigand? A brigand is basically just a bandit, and a bandit isn't a type of person, it's a description of someone in terms of something they're currently doing. You definitely stop being a brigand after you die.

Quillon

Arcane
How can you have a skeletal brigand? A brigand is basically just a bandit, and a bandit isn't a type of person, it's a description of someone in terms of something they're currently doing. You definitely stop being a brigand after you die.

It probably still wears brigand clothes. If you see a dead man who's wearing police uniform in a zombie movie, he's a zombie police officer :P

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

You definitely stop being a brigand after you die.

Guess that depends on what the skeleton does in its undeath. In a lot of fiction, particularly with skeletal undead, they are described as still mindlessly following the patterns they had when alive, even though such activities no longer make sense. Mindlessly continuing to indulge in banditry seems fairly reasonable. ;)

Elex

Arbiter

You definitely stop being a brigand after you die.

Guess that depends on what the skeleton does in its undeath. In a lot of fiction, particularly with skeletal undead, they are described as still mindlessly following the patterns they had when alive, even though such activities no longer make sense. Mindlessly continuing to indulge in banditry seems fairly reasonable. ;)

what about skeletal pirates?

Quillon

Arcane
They should have shared a clip from Custom AI part of the stream instead, a lot more people have been asking for it/would be interested in it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm a bit of a walkingfag. For some reason these hyperactive adventurers that sprint everywhere stresses me out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom