Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mazisky

Magister
They tainted the Codex's honour in front of 1,7k people. There has to be repercussions to this shameful act.
I'm surprised nobody posted this. These moves...+M
ferg.gif

They're having fun at Firaxis HQ

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ydwin is a cipher/rogue? I thought she was a wizard and was a bit disappointed because Aloth was a wizard. Being rogue/cipher is cool and makes sense, since she studies death and knows where to strike for maximum efficiency.

EDIT: Ah, I saw the stretch goal now, Radora is the wizard, my bad. I don't think we have a druid companion, so maybe they should change their minds on that.

Sannom

Augur
She reminds me a lot of Yakushi Kabuto (Naruto) and Lezard Valeth (Valkyrie Profile). I think it's the round glasses.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ydwin CAN be interesting if they focus more on her scientific side, rather than her waifu potential. Having a knowledgeable person along for the ride can be very advantageous.

Mystary!

Arcane
Still can't get over the fact that the blue furry Serafen is a cipher/BARBARIAN, wielding pistols no less... it's an insult to barbarians everywhere.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Ydwin CAN be interesting if they focus more on her scientific side, rather than her waifu potential. Having a knowledgeable person along for the ride can be very advantageous.

Depends on who would write her. I am assuming Carrie would and while I don't doubt her writing skills, with her it could go either way very easily. Besides her design as a jaded cynical nerd rogue is just 100% waifubait.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ydwin is a cipher/rogue? I thought she was a wizard and was a bit disappointed because Aloth was a wizard. Being rogue/cipher is cool and makes sense, since she studies death and knows where to strike for maximum efficiency.

EDIT: Ah, I saw the stretch goal now, Radora is the wizard, my bad. I don't think we have a druid companion, so maybe they should change their minds on that.

She is a Cipher, or a Rogue, or a Cipher/Rogue. She isn't locked into either of those paths, which is neat because I don't really want that many Cipher's in my party really

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am moderately encouraged by Josh saying that they will be looking to narrow the gap in difficulty in the mid-game between novice and experienced players.

Translated this means the game won't be too easy for me once I'm out of the first third of the content, or at least shouldn't be as easy as PoE was once you reached Dyrford.

I've raised my Sawyer language proficiency by one.

Does anybody know, or has Josh let on any info, if Deadfire will still have attack rolls of d100?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Geez people have you really just learned that Feargus Urquhart is a mole-popping schmoe

Does anybody know, or has Josh let on any info, if Deadfire will still have attack rolls of d100?

Nobody has asked that, but I think if he was going to change something that basic he would have said so.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I asked it yesterday, about 5 times, but I don't know if he missed it every time, or he ignored it on purpose :)

I agree, but then I'm not sure if he considers the general audience to perceive such a thing as "basic".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Depends on who would write her. I am assuming Carrie would and while I don't doubt her writing skills, with her it could go either way very easily. Besides her design as a jaded cynical nerd rogue is just 100% waifubait.

Nowhere was it stated that she's cynical or jaded -

Ydwin- A strange pale elf cipher from "a lot of different places". Fascinated by animancy, Ydwin spends her free time examining fresh and not-so-fresh corpses. Though she has a charming and pleasant demeanor, new acquaintances are often shocked at her intimate familiarity with death and her dispassionate affect in the face of even the most grisly scenes.

Ydwin, our eighth and final companion (we hope!), is a pale elf rogue/cipher with extensive training as an animancer. She was born in a remote, lawless settlement in the White that Wends, where she witnessed the cruelest extremes of kith and nature. Her observations fueled a fascination with animancy, and she eventually made her way to the Vailian Republics to study. She's since become an accomplished master in the field, and advances with luminous adra in the Deadfire have drawn her to the archipelago.

Maybe you can interpret her fascination with cruelty and death as a sadistic streak, psychological interest, or both, but not jaded or cynical. Her being an animancer could give insight into Eothas, since he's literally a soul construct. If she gets upgraded to companion I can see her becoming important from a narrative point of view.

Sizzle

Arcane

Agreed. If she's presented as a cold, calculating, "For Science!" type of person - she could indeed work out very well.

The more they tie the companions to the story (both narratively and mechanically), and the less we have to listen and deal with their private lives ("I first became interested in death and animancy when..."), the better they'll likely turn out.

Patel confirmed she would be writing the potential 8th companion some time ago. And yes, her work is a bit hit-and-miss. She wrote Sagani (who I really liked), Aloth (who was pretty mediocre, but I could live with), Devil of Carroc (had some good content, but also some pretty bad writing), and Maneha (the single worst NPC in the game, and the only one where SJW-ism became apparent).

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't think we have a druid companion, so maybe they should change their minds on that.

This is as Sawyer has became a practicing Wiccan druid and cannot resist the temptation to incorporate esoteric Wiccan knowledge throughout the game, which would get him in hot water with the Wiccan leadership. As a result, he decided to remove the druid class.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I hope she remains a sidekick. I'm tired of every party member's having to be so special. And especially with insisting to tell you how special he is.

I doubt they will upgrade her to companion just like that - why make more work for themselves instead of just use the budget, if the stretch goal wasn't reached anyway?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
her dispassionate affect in the face of even the most grisly scenes.
She was born in a remote, lawless settlement in the White that Wends, where she witnessed the cruelest extremes of kith and nature.

While I am assuming, these parts made it sound like she would be both jaded and cynical, of course they could do something different and she could be just desensitised instead too but that's why I said it can go either way easily. Also charming or pleasant demeanour doesn't necessarily imply she would be cheerful either, could just be polite and articulate.

I tell it like as I see it, I am not unfamiliar with the concept if that's what you are getting at.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can add(multiclass) druid to basically any companion. Not sure whom it would fit thematically though, maybe the aumaua godlike?

Both the dwarf rogue and stormfolk fighter can work as a multiclass. Bonteru is obsessed with poisons and toxins, so what better way to study them than be in tune with nature (ranger would work too)? Nobody knows anything about Rekke, because he doesn't speak the language, so druid is as likely as anything else.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Wait a minute

Such things as:
- New game+ (kinda)
- relationships
- NPC portraits
- Chinese
- even sidekicks
Were funded

But managing your ship's crew (while ship is crucial part of gameplay as we got other stretch goals for it that were funded) and HUNTING FUCKING SEA MONSTER, ARE THE LAST STRETCH GOALS!?
WHAT THE FUCK OBSIDIAN, WHY DIDN'T YOU ALLOW PEOPLE TO FUND THE BEST THINGS!?
:x

Sizzle

Arcane
I hope she remains a sidekick. I'm tired of every party member's having to be so special. And especially with insisting to tell you how special he is.

I doubt they will upgrade her to companion just like that - why make more work for themselves instead of just use the budget, if the stretch goal wasn't reached anyway?

We have 4 factions, and one companion that supports each of them - The Vailian Republics (Pallegina), Rautai (Maia Rua), Pirates (Serafen), and the Natives (the Godlike Amaua).

The other three (or four) will probably either be somewhat neutral or have ties to potential sub-factions (like Aloth and his Leaden Key connection).

So if you want an entire party (you + 4 companions) that entirely supports a single faction (which will, like in F:NV, probably be a requisite to finish the game), you can have one even with just 7 companions in the game.

The 8th one is superfluous, it would probably be better if she remained a sidekick, and they put more funds, thought and care into creating the 7 fully-fledged companions instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom