Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
You know you're gonna get caught or not here, if your stealth indicator is red why would you steal anyway and reload save?

I just noticed that the city map has populational statistics on the corner.

CwFPPAz.png

That is insanely cool imo, and a nice way to deliver background info.

Tsk, tsk, not even naming the poor Godlike, but putting them into the "Other" category :D

Still, 2%, that seems a bit high (unless there are some other races, like Ogres, that are included in this).

Storm people

Constructs.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You know you're gonna get caught or not here, if your stealth indicator is red why would you steal anyway and reload save?

I just noticed that the city map has populational statistics on the corner.

CwFPPAz.png

That is insanely cool imo, and a nice way to deliver background info.

Tsk, tsk, not even naming the poor Godlike, but putting them into the "Other" category :D

Still, 2%, that seems a bit high (unless there are some other races, like Ogres, that are included in this).

Storm people

Constructs.
Non-binary

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New interview: https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-race-guide

European colonialism inspired the turf war in Pillars of Eternity 2's capital city

Pillars of Eternity 2 draws from the history of the East India Company as inspiration for its capital city, Neketaka. The city is torn between the competing interests of the trading companies looking to exploit the resources of the Deadfire Archipelago and the natives trying to turn this foreign interest into personal gain.

Talking to us last week, Pillar of Eternity 2 director Josh Sawyer says that Europe's imperial history was very much in mind when designing the game, and Neketaka in particular.

"We’re definitely trying to draw connections to things like the East India Trading Company, and various Belgian and Dutch trading firms as well," Sawyer says. "Each of the colonial cultures has a different interest in the area. They overlap a little bit, and they are in direct competition."

Neketaka has a long history. Its original builders are the Huana, an ancient tribe that were contemporaries to the Engwithan, the precursor race that you learn about in the original game. Unlike the Engwithan, though, the Huana were set back by "a big, cataclysmic event that occurred, and wiped out a huge portion of their population," Sawyer says. "They had to rebuild from almost nothing. Neketaka is actually a surviving element of that ancient culture, but it was abandoned for centuries until it was repossessed by a powerful Huana tribe, the Kahonga."

The Kahonga is "nominally the ruling tribe of the Huana, but they don’t really respect their authority." The queen and prince of the tribe have a strong military but they don't command as much respect among the tribes as you'd expect of "autocratic rulers."

Then, within the city there are: the native Huana; the Vailian trading company - a group sponsored by the Vailian Republics, who you could encounter in the first game - they control a district called Queen's Berth; and, finally, the Royal Deadfire Company. They control their own district, too - a large, fortified district.

Hated by everyone are the Principi, a pirate collective. Naturally, with so many traders around, the Principi have infiltrated the city with their agents.

All these factions are interlinked with alliances and rivalries, and being an Obsidian RPG, many of them want you to help turn the faction confusion to their advantage. For example, Sawyer explains the queen's plan: "She is trying to play them off against each other, but she’s playing a dangerous game. Those groups are very powerful, and because those tribes are not that unified, they are vulnerable to outside colonial forces that are more organised."

But you aren't just a pawn for these groups, Sawyer says: "The player has their own agenda for coming to Neketaka [and] you see different elements of each faction before you get to make alliances among them. You’re pursuing one objective, but it drags you into the middle of these four groups. Neketaka is a place where you see these cultures coming together and you see the dysfunction between them. As a player, you can be extremely resistant to making alliances with them, and although it’s very difficult, we do offer the option to go your own way. But, all these factions want to do a ‘quid pro quo’ with you, like ‘Why don’t you help our faction? We’ll help you achieve your objectives’."

We'll have more stories and features from our interview with Josh Sawyer going up later this week.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I expect like in most RPGs I've played, the war between factions and their goals will be more involving and interesting than the main plot.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

tu for the link Infinitron it is truly mind boggling the amount of time you must spend visiting all these websites to continue bringing information so quickly across so many games being discussed here. :salute:

It does sound a lot like is it one of the Fallouts Josh played a part in? sec. gonna search okay New Vegas wiki says and I have read here in other posts about it having some of the best faction designs and how those who may not like the direction Fallout has taken that New Vegas made them like it or made it enjoyable again so this is a positive direction for Deadfire mixing all sort of power hungry factions against one another in a cesspool of Neketaka sounds like just the cesspool my barbarian dwarf will enjoy! :cool: but remember you factions I have Dragons!!! :hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Eder's new portrait with that aquiline nose, pointed lower lip and prominent eyebrows doesn't even resembles his 3D render in Deadfire, let alone the portrail from Pillars 1.
w.t.f.

ooo.png

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Interview with MMORPG.com and Bobby Null: http://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-2-whats-new-we-chat-with-bobby-null-1000011922

MMORPG: Since the Fig campaign ended we’ve seen a lot of great updates from the game. How is production going?

Bobby Null: Production has been great! We have weekly, team blogs and it never ceases to amaze me how talented the people working on this project are. Not a week goes by that I don’t see something awesome; a piece of art, an animation, a snippet of dialogue, an area render or blockout. There is so much going on and so many things being added... it can be a little daunting, to be honest.

Very soon we’ll be closing that production window and begin the post production process. Post production is all about iteration and refining all the content that has been added. I’m really looking forward to that stage.

MMORPG: What can you tell us about Neketaka? Without giving anything away of course…

Bobby: Neketaka is our big city. It’s the hub of the region where the player will meet several factions vying for control, each in their own way. While the player is encouraged to explore the Deadfire, and all of the islands and ports within the region, many will return to Neketaka between adventures for various reasons. We wanted to make sure the big city stays relevant throughout the game, both from a narrative and gameplay perspective.

MMORPG: What player feedback has been taken into account for Deadfire?

Bobby: As it pertains to Neketaka, we’ve listened quite a bit. In Pillars of Eternity we had two big cities as part of the crowdfunding stretch goals. While we’re proud of what we accomplished in Defiance Bay and Twin Elms, we felt like we wanted to spend more time on a single city for Deadfire. There was a lot of feedback from fans about the two cities, what worked and what didn’t, and we’ve been working hard to address that feedback. By focusing on a single huge city, as opposed to two large cities, we’ve been able to create a city that feels far more alive. This has been accomplished with new features, better level design and improved art, among other things.

MMORPG: You have some new locations to share, which one stands out to you guys as a team?

Bobby: To be honest, it’s really hard to choose. Each of the locations we’ve shown is really cool in its own way. From team feedback during play days, I can say there has been a lot of positive feedback from Arkemyr Manor. Jeff Husghes and Paul Kirsch did a great job on the quest content of the area and Demi Warren’s art skills are on display as you can see in the video.

MMORPG: NPC behavior is a big asset to the game. How do you continue to tweak their actions to help the player and the story?

Bobby: We’ve added NPC schedules to improve the overall bustle of the city. These schedules also allow us to create additional ways for players to solve quests in creative ways; pickpocketing, reverse pickpocketing, time-of-day NPC locations. All these things can factor into solving quests now. Pathing has been overhauled along with major improvements to combat AI. In a nutshell, the NPCs will feel more like real people in Deadfire.

MMORPG: Neketaka is there to move the needle on story, but what other game elements are you excited about within this city?

Bobby: The faction system is one of the things I’m most excited about. In Deadfire, it is far more reactive and complex than it was in the first game. We’ve been very conscious of letting the player approach these powerful groups however they see fit. You can murder faction heads, betray once-trusted allies, play one faction off the other. I’m really excited to observe some playthroughs and see how various players approach this dynamic.

Not much that's new.

Prime Junta

"These schedules also allow us to create additional ways for players to solve quests in creative ways; pickpocketing, reverse pickpocketing, time-of-day NPC locations. All these things can factor into solving quests now."

This is pretty cool.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll hold them to this:
MMORPG: Neketaka is there to move the needle on story, but what other game elements are you excited about within this city?

Bobby: The faction system is one of the things I’m most excited about. In Deadfire, it is far more reactive and complex than it was in the first game. We’ve been very conscious of letting the player approach these powerful groups however they see fit. You can murder faction heads, betray once-trusted allies, play one faction off the other. I’m really excited to observe some playthroughs and see how various players approach this dynamic.

This is an important point to me. If you claim that you have this, I really hope you can deliver.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bunch of interviews all of a sudden, I wonder what's up with that. RPGWatch is doing one too.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'll hold them to this:

This is an important point to me. If you claim that you have this, I really hope you can deliver.

They've been harping on about this since the Figstarter, it's definitely in.

Besides, they've pulled it off once before with New Vegas, no reason why they can't do so again.

Lios

Cipher

Eder's new portrait with that aquiline nose, pointed lower lip and prominent eyebrows doesn't even resembles his 3D render in Deadfire, let alone the portrail from Pillars 1.
w.t.f.

ooo.png

I kinda like the new portrait more.
He looks like a wine drinker who lives in a village.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
I wonder if the "weird" portraits are because the changed models or maybe aren't using models anymore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom