Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What do people feel are REALLY GREAT examples of writing in a computer RPG? I mean the game overall, not just "This game had the greatest written NPC ever." or "This game had the greatest written side quest ever."

I'm yet to see a great example of writing in an computer game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
What do people feel are REALLY GREAT examples of writing in a computer RPG? I mean the game overall, not just "This game had the greatest written NPC ever." or "This game had the greatest written side quest ever."
Strangely i like the writing in Spireds's games.Their games are cut in very unnatural way but they can write really human character.Honestly not many modern games have really good writing.Dragon commander did have some ok writing.

Spider/Cyanide games have a good knack for dialogue and they seem to more or less make the most out of middling production values. In particular, I quite enjoyed Of Orcs and Men. Thought the two chars in that were really strong. The pairing of the goblin/orc just worked and at increasingly more interesting levels. This is juxtaposed to a lot of RPGs I play where pairings are flared up by simply increasing the pitch of a char's voice when talking to one another, like they've been married for years and being repeatedly sarcastic is somehow a molding for character development.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Strangely i like the writing in Spireds's games.Their games are cut in very unnatural way but they can write really human character.Honestly not many modern games have really good writing.Dragon commander did have some ok writing.
I meant Spiders the guys that made Technomancer.Hhhh the fails of alcohol!

Iznaliu

Arbiter
His Holiness said:
She developed fatty liver disease and went from ~13 lbs. to ~9 lbs. She had to be force fed for two weeks, followed by the installation of a tube in her side and wearing a cone for three months. I had to liquefy food, draw it into a syringe, and feed it directly into her stomach through the tube three/two times a day. After being essentially force fed for three months, her liver resumed normal functions and she made a full recovery. If your cat stops eating, take them to the vet. We probably could have arrested the fatty liver disease if I had considered the symptoms more seriously earlier.

Interesting.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Druid/ Barbarian = Tempest
Rogue/ Barbarian = Marauder
Rogue/ Druid = Pathfinder
Rogue/ Ranger = Scout

Do we already have a complete list of all these multiclass names?

That's what you get for being sassy

On another note look at those holstered weapons at his side and that armor, looking fucking good Eder. This game is gonna be great guys.

Quillon

Arcane
This seemed too cartoonish to me for PoE standards; lead me to expect a sudden pointy swelling on Tekehu's head after that. Animation lacks any kind of technique(tho most melee animations lack technique) and the spell effect sound for a melee attack... guess PoE loosing points in Josh's cartoonish fantasy(1) to historically accurate(10) scale.

Colour Spray

Educated
In any case, I like that they are adding more out of combat actions. The best part of crpgs is finding that something works that you weren't even sure the developers had considered; like using charm person in de-arnise keep to return that one lieutenant to his senses. Gives a better idea that there's a series of internal logical consistencies to the world when what is ordinarily a weapon could also be used as a tool.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This seemed too cartoonish to me for PoE standards; lead me to expect a sudden pointy swelling on Tekehu's head after that. Animation lacks any kind of technique(tho most melee animations lack technique) and the spell effect sound for a melee attack... guess PoE loosing points in Josh's cartoonish fantasy(1) to historically accurate(10) scale.
it's always been kinda wacky. member you can literally smash a dude with your mage book

Quillon

Arcane
Hitting with book never seemed cartoonish me, its a heavy tome in your reach---hand, you just won't picture it as a fragile old tome. Now that I think about it the sound effects were always there I guess but the animation is still too not-technical :P same as eder's swinging his sword; diagonally(more vertical) downwards. I've seen that move in GoT, and it was a kingsguard slashing a dwarf, you don't swing the sword that way to every opponent and here head-pommelling works the same way and eder's pommelling a huana, way taller than him. It just looks silly in my own nit-picky way. He should hold the sword horizontally when pommeling and animation should look like a punch.

BilboBaggins

Educated
Love sassy Tekēhu. Are they really going to wait until the last minute to tell us what he shape-shifts into? It's not like it's some Game of Thrones spoiler.

tumblr_osvwy2QNtn1un2x6xo3_500.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That pommel-strike was really intense, look at all the blood splattering everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom