Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #15: Companion Relationships Unlocked, Final Week

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2. What exactly is it beating then?

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire

Bltgdvd.png

These are normal pledges, just like Kickstarter. They've got 52 hours left to beat D:OS 2's $2M. Maybe they don't make it, but it's going to be closer than a lot of people thought a PoE sequel would get, and on a platform that a lot of gamers refuse to touch.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
2. What exactly is it beating then?

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire

Bltgdvd.png

These are normal pledges, just like Kickstarter. They've got 52 hours left to beat D:OS 2's $2M. Maybe they don't make it, but it's going to be closer than a lot of people thought a PoE sequel would get, and on a platform that a lot of gamers refuse to touch.

I cant give you 5 participation awards, because that's how much you missed the point. Performance vs DOS is completely irrelevant here. You have to compare similar companies (that are known as much, similar industry names, press coverage, existing player base, the project, selling the dream to player base (which Larian didn't both times)). Also, Larian is mostly unknown. It's not even apples to oranges.

I only take expectations seriously when people bet money/buy stocks otherwise it's rambling. Well surprise FIG is also something players didn't ask for. Or did they?
default.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Selling the dream? Man this picture you're painting of Larian as some humble indie developer is totally out-of-date. Swen goes to every AAA gaming exhibition he can. He flew to "TwitchCon" in San Francisco to promote D:OS 2 during its Kickstarter campaign.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not some nonsensical reason you seem to be implying.
Implying what?
You are not fooling me. This is the Codex. You passive agressively implied that the first game must be shit, and that is the reason of the lower backer number.

You are the one who is not fooling anyone.

• by Larian Studios LLC and 19,541 backers

• 4d698ae66ff3cb2e844525d12718caf8_original.jpg

by Larian Studios LLC and 42,713 backers

That's not exactly fair. Larian stuck with the preeminent crowdfunding platform, they didn't have as many backers to begin with, and their co-op feature powered a lot of sales and thus also a lot more backers for the second campaign.

I agree their game was a lot funner to play than WL2 or PoE out of the gate, though, and that's also a contributing factor.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Selling the dream? Man this picture you're painting of Larian as some humble indie developer is totally out-of-date. Swen goes to every AAA gaming exhibition he can. He flew to "TwitchCon" in San Francisco to promote D:OS 2 during its Kickstarter campaign.
...and is greeted with crowds of fans and is showered with Media coverage. Everywhere he walks roses are falling beneath his feet. He walks like Moses with 10 commandments.

I imagine the frustration of gaming press when they find out that it's not another AAA title and that he's not working for Bethesda.

duanth123

Arcane
That's not exactly fair. Larian stuck with the preeminent crowdfunding platform, they didn't have as many backers to begin with, and their co-op feature powered a lot of sales and thus also a lot more backers for the second campaign.

I agree their game was a lot funner to play than WL2 or PoE out of the gate, though, and that's also a contributing factor.

I have a difficult time believing that thousands upon thousands of potential backers (in fact, tens of thousands) were put off by mere use of a different website that still offers basic backing ala Kickstarter.

Which is sorta what all of you are suggesting as regards PoE 2.

Notwithstanding the whole boom-bust phenom

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I have a difficult time believing that thousands upon thousands of potential backers (in fact, tens of thousands) were put off by mere use of a different website that still offers basic backing ala Kickstarter.

Which is sorta what all of you are suggesting as regards PoE 2.

More like several thousand. Between 3,000-5,000. That's reality of franchising, is that people see the logos they know while the rest become background noise.

Also not "mere." A lot of people beyond the Codex are cynical about Fig and its founders. Brian Fargo was still popular back then, but Tim Schaeffer was not at all.

There are other factors I didn't mention though, like timing. D:OS2 was the first big second generation KickStarter.

Also going to restate co-oping. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wasn't aware that the Codex was heavy on anti-Feargus sentiment.
It isn't. I don't think anyone dislikes Feargus except for giving Saywer even more power. It is the other two that are the problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom