Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #8: NPC Portraits Are In, Mystery Stretch Goal?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig campaign reached $2.2M of funding today, doubling its base goal in less than a week and a half and unlocking the NPC Portraits & UI Customization stretch goal. You'd expect Obsidian to have come out with a new update announcing the $2.6M stretch goal, but after some bizarre technical mishaps (including a brief crash of the entire Fig website) all we've got is this:

We've hit the next stretch goal! Thank you so much for your contributions to make NPC Portraits, UI Customization and Italian localization possible. We are now are planning to add portraits for every quest giving NPC in the game. This is going to add hundreds of unique watercolor portraits to enhance the experience when conversing with NPCs. In addition, we also will have a full suite of UI Customization features that will be added to the game. Lastly, now our Italian friends can enjoy Pillars of Eternity II in their native language.

We all love new concept art. We would like to share the artwork for a new monster in the game called the Engwithan Saint which you can find, and fight, in the desert dungeon featured in our screenshots and video.

Tomorrow we will have an update focused on lore with new information about the Deadfire, announce our next stretch goal at 2.6m, and introduce a new content feature that we are very excited about. Again, thank you so much from everyone on the team.​

What could it be? Before the update went out, the stretch goal graphic on the main campaign page briefly changed to show the $2.6M stretch goal being something called "Berath's Blessing", which would allow you to "begin a new game with gifted bonuses". Some people have interpreted that as a New Game+ Mode, which would be a pretty lousy stretch goal even by this campaign's humble standards. Maybe that's why they took it down? This whole thing is starting to appear strangely unplanned.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
This whole thing is starting to appear strangely unplanned.

They probably came up with a plan, but forgot to make sure the plan was actually any good. That plus overcompensation for the exorbitant stretch goals of PoE 1 explains the reasoning.

Tigranes

Arcane
I love all the overanalysis in the newsposts.

New Game+ seems to be a highly popular request across kickstarter RPGs, and would likely make a popular stretch goal - though I'd never use it, and seems rather pointless to me. Often it seems to just serve the MMO addicts that want to level up their dude forever.

Pentagon

Educated
I don't think New Game+ would work well for Pillars of Eternity, but I could see a system similar to the Halo 3 skulls being fun. Options such as enemies exploding on death or giving enemies teleporting could add to the challenge of a replay.

Ruzen

Savant
We are now are "planning" to add portraits for every quest giving NPC in the game.
At least It's on planning stage this is my favorite stretch goal this far.:salute:

Edit: I expect random encounters rather than new game+ there is already Path of the Damned mode

Ash of Gods

Literate
They're good guys. At least all of their stretch goals look like work. Not like content, which was made, cut and now they asked to pay.

Aenra

Codex be Codex.. some maturity/restraint in goals and people bitch because no one promised them the moon this time around.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, modest stretch goals are the best. I don't know how anyone who's even glanced at Kickstarters over the past 5 years could be advocating bigger stretch goals.

Flou

Arbiter
I love all the overanalysis in the newsposts.

New Game+ seems to be a highly popular request across kickstarter RPGs, and would likely make a popular stretch goal - though I'd never use it, and seems rather pointless to me. Often it seems to just serve the MMO addicts that want to level up their dude forever.

People want New Game+ for any game these days which I don't get. Do they play just one game for the entire year or something?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It would be interesting to have different encounters in NG+ and even new secrets and secret bosses which are not present in main campaign.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Just make PotD available only for a new game + character, they will already be balancing the game harder with different encounters for it anyways.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex be Codex.. some maturity/restraint in goals and people bitch because no one promised them the moon this time around.

Even outside the Codex this level of negativity doesn't even pass as criticism, more like faintly reflective.

Being honest, after the inXile PR dramas most people seem pretty relieved (or at least indifferent of) the modest stretch goals.

Aenra

Even outside the Codex this level of negativity doesn't even pass as criticism, more like faintly reflective

Was exaggerating for emphasis; point still stands though. If people see reasonable, piss-easy to achieve goals and do not applaud (ie they cannot comprehend why that is a good thing), there is a problem. One deriving from a wrong mentality. A cultivated one, but a wrong one nonetheless. I don't make excuses for adults. Myself included :)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
strawman_kit.jpg

Turok

Erudite
I want content, not this shitty offers of vapor air.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom