Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach Card Game

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-tabletop-rpg-and-card-game-in-the-works/
Do you have any plans for an Eternity tabletop RPG or anything like that? I mean, you created this new world and all this new lore, do you see that expanding out to other media?

Absolutely. So, actually one of the things we're going to announce very soon, I don't even know if I talked about it. Not in the latest backer update but the next backer update, we're definitely going to talk about how we're going to be Kickstarting... not us, but another group is going to be Kickstarting a Pillars of Eternity card game. This isn't like a CCG or anything like that, but it's more just a fun, kind of, four people get around and play a single session card game. You have heros, and you have a village, and all that kind of stuff, and you can take your heroes into a dungeon, and you can also take your heroes and armies and attack your friends while they're playing, so it's kind a very fun card game and it's actually designed by Chris Taylor. Not... there's two Chris Taylors. [Laughs] It's Chris Taylor, a friend of mine for many many years who was the lead designer of Fallout.

So, that's the first thing we're really looking at, and also, absolutely on the tabletop roleplaying. We're not sure yet how we're going to do it, we were kind of going back and forth on, do we use the game's rules, do we use someone else's rules, do we come up with another set of rules? And it's something we're going to be talking [about] soon. But absolutely, we want to expand. New books, roleplaying, all that kind of stuff.
:nofunallowed:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-tabletop-rpg-and-card-game-in-the-works/
Do you want more money?

Absolutely. So, actually one of the things we're going to announce very soon, I don't even know if I talked about it. Not in the latest backer update but the next backer update, we're definitely going to talk about how we're going to be Kickstarting... not us, but another group is going to be Kickstarting a Pillars of Eternity card game. This isn't like a CCG or anything like that, but it's more just a fun, kind of, four people get around and play a single session card game. You have heros, and you have a village, and all that kind of stuff, and you can take your heroes into a dungeon, and you can also take your heroes and armies and attack your friends while they're playing, so it's kind a very fun card game and it's actually designed by Chris Taylor. Not... there's two Chris Taylors. [Laughs] It's Chris Taylor, a friend of mine for many many years who was the lead designer of Fallout.

So, that's the first thing we're really looking at, and also, absolutely on the tabletop roleplaying. We're not sure yet how we're going to do it, we were kind of going back and forth on, do we use the game's rules, do we use someone else's rules, do we come up with another set of rules? And it's something we're going to be talking [about] soon. But absolutely, we want to expand. New books, roleplaying, all that kind of stuff.
:slamdunkride:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081578473/pillars-of-eternity-lords-of-the-eastern-reach-car

Lords of the Eastern Reach is a strategic card game of adventure and empire building based on the Pillars of Eternity video game from Obsidian Entertainment. You must protect and build a city. Hire heroes and troops for defense or to delve into dangerous dungeons for loot and glory. Build towers, blacksmiths and other buildings to gain the advantage and go for the win.

a1aa17b2740d5ea7d6607e0083b58c5e_original.jpg

Lords of the Eastern Reach is for 2-4 players and takes about 20-30 minutes per player. This is an Officially Licensed game designed by veteran game designers Chris Taylor (Lead Designer of the much loved Fallout 1), and Scott Everts (Designer on many well known computer RPGs like Fallout 1&2, Fallout: New Vegas, and Planescape: Torment). The original video game development team was actively involved in its development. It includes everything you need to play.

For a brief introduction to the gameplay of Lords of the Eastern Reach check out this video from Paul Grogan at Gaming Rules!

Last edited:
I'd rather have a 6+ hour crunchy semi co-op board game, but I guess card games are in at the moment. I'll probably throw 40 bucks in at the end (assuming it makes its goal) since it looks like it'll be PG enough to play with the kiddos.

The cynical part of me thinks that this is just Obsidian being decent guys and trying to throw Chris Taylor a break paying job. He's still 'employed' by Herve, right?

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Talk about a slamdunk - it's not even been two months since PoE was released and the cards even use the artwork from the game.

Also, I bet that woman playing with Brennecke and Sawyer doesn't actually work at Obsidian. :M

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Talk about a slamdunk - the cards even use the artwork from the game.

Also, I bet that woman playing with Brennecke and Sawyer doesn't actually work at Obsidian. :M

Yeah, she..... does.

You should have heard her name during the last year of PoE development.

GrapeJam

Novice
Wasted resources, game's not some kind of blockbuster to warrant a healthy cards players population. If they're gonna make this cards game a F2P online video game then maybe then they may actually have enough players to sustain the game but other than that you'll not find more than a handful of players to play with in your entire life.

Athelas

Arcane
Take a look at the company name up top - it's not being organized by Obsidian.

GrapeJam

Novice
Still wasted resources, Chris Taylor and Scott Everts could have used their time to design this card game to improve the video game instead.

Athelas

Arcane
Still wasted resources, Chris Taylor and Scott Everts could have used their time to design this card game to improve the video game instead.
Chris Taylor doesn't work at Obsidian and Scott Everts didn't work on PoE.

They should hire Chris Taylor though, if just to keep him out of the claws of Herve Caen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom