Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach Card Game

kazgar

Arcane
Don't care for card games, but might mean a way to finance new artwork/lore that'll go back into POE expansions and world.

Zeronet

Learned
I'm tempted, i like cards, mostly just to collect if the artworks decent. Wish they had prefaced with Kana Rua though.

If anything, it gets Pillars of Eternity back in the press.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
a77389421a7ecef90c6f3f5bab54a053_original.jpg

Here's your chance, Roguey

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It looks like lords of Waterdeep with more chances of fucking one another over.

da_rays

Augur
a PoE........card game? FUCK YES! Good thing they think of that! It's not like the market is overflooded with card game right now . So yeah , good thinking!

/sarcasm

Seriously tho , Kickstarter for this? And funded? I dont understand the world anymore.....:negative:

I would have pledge if it were an expansion for Caed Nua improvment, but yeah card game , priority first! +M
I just hope they made a few bucks before this crash and burn. Unless the game is *cough* decent?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/05/29/...-know-about-the-pillars-of-eternity-card-game

Everything You Could Possibly Want to Know About The Pillars of Eternity Card Game
By Richard Wordsworth on 29 May 2015 at 4:20PM

This is it. The cycle is complete. It’s a Kickstarter for a game about a game that was itself Kickstarted. Get out, get out now! The waveform is collapsing!

I jest. Jason liked Pillars of Eternity very much when it launched in March, but it seems Obsidian’s ambitions extend further than only putting out the most critically acclaimed Kickstarter game to date. So if your merry band of adventurers/grizzly posse of cutthroats are coming to the end of their travels/bloody crusade across Eora, take heart: Pillars of Eternity: The Lords of the Eastern Reach, which launched on Kickstarter on Thursday, has already broken its funding goal with 33 days to go. Oh, and it’s a board game.

You can get an outline of how the game works by watching the introductory video below. But if you’d like to know even more about Pillars’ transition from desktop to table-top, you’re in luck: I discussed that very matter with Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart and game designer Chris Taylor just before the launch of the Kickstarter, and wheedled out some exclusive juicy details.

The first thing I wanted to know is where Lords of the Eastern Reach came from. According to both Urquhart and Taylor, it’s been more than two years in the making, locked away in the deepest dungeons at Obsidian with the rats and a pallid army of playtesters. Urquhart has, at the time we speak, played about 15 times. Taylor is a bit better versed.

“I’m up to 110 times,” he says, modestly.

“Let’s just say the crap has been played out of this game,” Urquhart concurs.

The premise for Lords of the Eastern Reach is quite a break from its CRPG inspiration. You’re not adventurer and you won’t be recruiting companions. Rather, you play as one of the titular lords, and your goal is to not kill, but out-glorify your opponents. You do this by building up your city, trampling those of others, and raiding dungeons for loot and monster trophies. It’s a balancing act that Urquhart says is actually more like a real-time strategy game than an RPG.

“At any time I can focus on building my city, I can go try to take Chris out, or I can take my heroes into a dungeon,” he says. “Your brain always has this puzzle of, ‘what’s the best strategy?’ That’s what really interested me from the get go: having this game where everytime I play I can choose to play it differently.”

At the start of the game, each player (2-4) gets an Allegiance card. An Allegiance card introduces specific rules that last the whole game for the player that holds it – one might steer a player towards combat, another towards city building, and so forth. You’re also dealt your starting eight cards, which (unless you have one particular Allegiance card that grants a bonus to hand size) you’ll then have to prune down to five.

This is where you first start strategizing. According to Urquhart and Taylor, you’re trying to plan moves ahead right from the get-go, deciding whether you’ll get cheap troops like Archers or Guards out early or hang onto heftier (but more expensive) cards you really want for later. At the beginning of each turn, players draw resource tokens from a bag in the centre. From what the pair describe, strategy in Lords of the Eastern Reach comes from making the best of what the universe sends your way.

You’ll still get heroes, as you do in the original Pillars – but in LotER (we’re coining it), they’re a kind of counterpoint to your cheap, arrow-fodder grunts. You’ll be able to find all the recruitable companions from the PC game in board game adaptation, along with some new faces mostly based, I’m told, on the player characters of the developers at Obsidian.

Once you’ve assembled a mighty host, you can use it either to clobber another player, or pick up to five units to send on a dungeon raid. Attacking another player works a bit like it does in Magic: The Gathering: you can send out whatever forces you like, but doing so ‘exhausts’ them, which means they’ll be unable to defend your city if another player decides to clobber you back. Also like Magic, each Army card has an attack value and a defence value, which get totted up after the attack-ee sends out his defenders to work out who comes home with a war story and who keels over in a field with a face full of burning arrows. If you do more damage than the victim can defend against, you sack some of their buildings, too, and add them to your trophy pile.

Another way to get trophies is to dungeon crawl. The Dungeon has three levels, represented by three decks which contain a mixture of monsters (which you can kill and mount as trophies) and rewards like Soul Gems, which you can use to buff your armies. But more on that later.

Trophies add to your Victory Points (as do buildings you’ve kept safe at the end of the game). Victory Points are interesting in that they’re the only win-condition in LotER – you can’t ever wipe a player out, even if you stamp their city into splinters and smash their army (you can “savage them,” as Urquhart puts it, but not boot them out of the game entirely). The game ends when the central deck of City cards (162 are included with the game, and the more you play with, the longer each game lasts) from which players draw buildings, troops and so on runs out. As you might expect, the player with the most points when this happens wins. What you might not expect is that troops and heroes count for zilch when it comes to adding up Victory Points – so if you end the game with a massive army, you’re doing it wrong.

“So there was this one guy playing and it was the final turn,” says Taylor, by way of example. “You could see that the game was going to end real soon. So he’s like, ‘what do I do?’ Well, one thing about this game is that troops and heroes at the end of the game aren’t worth any Victory Points. It doesn’t matter if you end with a big army or a small army – you don’t score any points for those. So you almost have to think of them as a currency and use them up to buy Victory Points by going into the Dungeon or attacking other players.

“So in this game, he’s got a pretty good sized army but is a few points behind the leader, so he needs to be risky. So we’re all sitting around the table goading him on. And he’s like, ‘well, I’m going to go into the Dungeon but maybe on Level 2,’ and [we say], ‘no, man, the big rewards are on Level 3! You’ve gotta go to Level 3’. Do it! Go!’ So he pushes out all his guys, he flips over a Level 3 Dungeon card, and it turns out it’s the boss. In each Dungeon there is one really powerful card, and in this case it was the Adra Dragon, which proceeded to eat his army and then burn down about half his town. We felt really bad.”

“He went from maybe winning…” Urquhart says.

“To dead last,” Taylor finishes.

As Urquhart and Taylor describe it, games of LotER can go very different ways depending on the temperaments of the people playing – and these dynamics shift significantly again when you up the number of players from two to three or four. With two players, you amass resources more quickly, and have a clearer view of what your opponent is up to. But with three or four players, games can, they say, run the gamut from peaceful coexistence to a permanent state of war.

“Certain games we’ll play with people, and they’re all about just beating on each other,” says Urquhart. “It’s just all about attacking each other and occasionally going into the Dungeon. But then there are a lot of other games where people are like, ‘well, let’s all play nice and we’ll just all go fight in the Dungeon and not fight each other.’ Depending on who’s playing, you have a really different style of game.”

That said, if you do want to screw over an opponent without risking any of your own precious heroes, there are other, more underhanded strategies open to you. While the game apparently never goes full-Diplomacy (“no-one [ever] takes their ball and goes home,” says Urquhart), there’s nothing to stop you deliberately tricking or goading other players into making dangerous decisions that lead to their undoing.

“It is totally open negotiation and there is no enforcement of deals or bargains,” says Taylor. “So you can say whatever you want, and then you may or may not decide to live up to your word. The game encourages you to talk things out. I have played a game where I’ve talked someone into attacking another player, and then backstabbed them.

“Unfortunately the person I backstabbed was my wife. I heard about that for a few weeks after.”

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach is currently sitting on just under $50,000 out of a $30,000 funding target on Kickstarter and will be released in February 2016. For more information, check out its developer’s website: zeroradiusgames.com.

Atchodas

Augur
this is pathetic , another Kick Starter meanwhile first one is not even close to finish and then we see JS fuckin playing card games meanwhile encounter design still not changed in PoE , lol total faggot from the picture too lol

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay so i see the edgy retard brigade is out in force.

One it is not a card game. Not in the traditional sens, but then again most of you fuckers are to fucking casual to understand the concept of dice and how they are used. I guess after stuffing your face and playing the new AAA console shit game there is not a lot of gray mater left to understand things outside of the PS4Bone.

It is a fucking board game. That is all, but oh no it would take 2 secs and basic understanding of shapes to see that fact. No better to try hard to be edgy on the internet.
HURK HURK HURK kickstarter HURK HURK HURK Faggot. I am cool now... Fucking faggots.

Atchodas

Augur
Okay so i see the edgy retard brigade is out in force.

One it is not a card game. Not in the traditional sens, but then again most of you fuckers are to fucking casual to understand the concept of dice and how they are used. I guess after stuffing your face and playing the new AAA console shit game there is not a lot of gray mater left to understand things outside of the PS4Bone.

It is a fucking board game. That is all, but oh no it would take 2 secs and basic understanding of shapes to see that fact. No better to try hard to be edgy on the internet.
HURK HURK HURK kickstarter HURK HURK HURK Faggot. I am cool now... Fucking faggots.

dont forget to sponsor some more retarded kickstarters lol you laughable idiot , TCG or Board Games are completely good and positive thing as LONG AS YOU DONT FUCKING ASK PLAYERS TO KICKSTART THEM FOR YOU FUCKIN OBSHITIAN

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Oh the edgy the edgy. So Cool and edgy i mean you should be on tumbler right now or on twitter with #Killallmen.

Also i know your only trolling, but still do you really not understand the difference between a TCG and a board game that uses cards as a random element. I know you are one of these "I am only pretending to be a retard", but chanses are you have no fucking idea what a TCG is and you are now going to google it and then call every one else a faggot in your mediocre way.

Now to be real. I like to Kickstart Boardgames because they are kind of hard to buy where i live in a somewhat Rural area and i love board games. This reminds me of a more active version of Lords of Water deep.

da_rays

Augur
Feel Like this game is pretty much like Warhammer : Invasion , except in a board gamy format ( board + token and various non card ) I just hope its not a copy paste of some DBD and LCG with minor tweaking. All around is look nice, but still on the fence....got so many board game/card game at home , it feel like it will not serve me something new . Ho well , I hope the card shop close by will get a copy of this so i can try it out before thinking of buying it

da_rays

Augur
It looks more like Magic...

Well you,re lucky , cant really fing a MtG feeling into this. Maybe if you start the game by assembling your deck , but in the description a few posts earlier , seem like a deck building/Leading card game. Get a cards in the beginning , buy needed/wanted cards , then react accordingly to your allegiance or other cards in play. As well as your adversary i assume. Not that i dont like...bit it seem far off from Magic. When are you backers are gonna get your toys? Would love a preview/review about it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funded at $240k: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-lords-of-the-eastern-reach-car/posts/1281736

Hello, Backers!

We are absolutely delighted how this campaign turned out. Over 3,700 backers raised almost $240k towards our first project. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

When we first started this project, we really had no idea we would reach these heights together. We hoped, we prayed, but your response has been phenomenal. Thank you for the comments and the feedback. Please keep them coming.

This is just a quick note of appreciation. We will be sending you regular updates with the current status of the project every few weeks (and more often as the situation warrants). You will follow us from final development (and testing of all the new cards and systems) to shipping, and all the steps in between.

In the following days, we will be sending you information on how to create an account on the Obsidian backer portal. This portal will manage your shipping address and digital rewards. Please keep an eye out for it.

From all of us at Zero Radius Games and Obsidian Entertainment, we thank you again for your support.

mitochondritom

Educated
Anyone else got this and played it? The quality of the cards and pieces is really high and the art is good (a lot of copies from the game, naturally) so I am quite impressed there. My partner and I played a few games of it today and initially I thought it was quite bad because I just got totally stomped when she repeatedly invaded my town and I couldn't recover, but the other games were much better once we properly worked out the combat rules (the manual is pretty awkwardly worded IMO). My girlfriend has zero interest in CRPGS and only knows about Pillars from occasionally seeing me playing it, but she enjoyed the game which was a plus and it is also fairly quick to play (45 - 60 mins if you cut the amount of city cards). Overall I am pretty happy with it for ~ £40, though I don't think it will be played as much as Netrunner between us. I am quite keen to try it with 3 or 4 people as only having 2 seems a bit unfair for the defending player in the PvP, I would recommend to anyone playing it to only go PvE for the first game to avoid massive butthurt on the losing player.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I played a session this week with 3 friends. Took us some time to pick up on all of the rules, but it was a lot of fun. I especially like the part where you pass your resources to other players for immediate use if you can't build/hire anything with them.

When it come to recovering from PvP, I would just not defend my town, let the other player tap out their army roflstomping me, and then roflstomp them back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom