Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Related to that I don't remember if it was explained how the engwithians gained the Required knowledge to create the gods. How could they possibly be that advanced compared to the rest of the world?

They did allude to that. The Engwithans were significantly ahead in animancy, but behind in technologies like metallurgy or construction. Think Gauls, only the druids can actually do some scary shit with souls.

I don't see any major problems with that. There's nothing to suggest that animancy is inherently any harder than, say, metallurgy; a culture that for whatever reason took off in that direction could get pretty far with it even if it doesn't invent steel, gunpowder, or crop rotation.

While I agree to some extent it seems a bit unlikely that any major culture would ignore something as immensely useful as animancy when there are no god's actively hindering progress in the area. The military and other applications are significant and word must have spread of this considering the extensive use of animancy in engwithan lands. Keeping this a secret honestly seems more difficult than creating the gods... But it doesn't really matter for the present games I guess and the developers have bigger fish to fry than explaining this.

Turjan

Arcane
Well, I finally finished the game yesterday. I guess all the negative talk about it left me without much expectation, and I already posted my mid-game impressions of things feeling disjointed at some point. However, all in all, I have to say that I liked the game, despite its shortcomings. Then again, I also always liked BG1, so there's that. Maybe I post something more at some later point, but I guess there have been enough reviews of the game already.

Anyway, just one question: did anyone else think that, on the bog map (technically WM), the hardest encounter wasn't the named cultist mini-boss on the western border or Llengrath & company, but that no-name group in the center? It's surprising how annoying two summoned enemy stags can be.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hiravias or any druid plus camping supply accuracy bonus against beasts plus any other optional accuracy/crit buffs plus charm/hold beast = animals are nothing.

Turjan

Arcane
Hiravias or any druid plus camping supply accuracy bonus against beasts plus any other optional accuracy/crit buffs plus charm/hold beast = animals are nothing.
Well, unlike dragons, those stags leave these nasty burn trails behind. And the dragons also fall for the same tricks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, unlike dragons, those stags leave these nasty burn trails behind. And the dragons also fall for the same tricks.

Have everyone who has to run through those drink a potion of bulwark against the elements. :M

Turjan

Arcane

Have everyone who has to run through those drink a potion of bulwark against the elements. :M
I'm aware of all of this. I had characters run through the fire that weren't supposed to do that (pathfinding). Anyway, my main argument was that I had more trouble with this fight than any other fight on the map, which includes Llengrath&Co. It's clear that I know how to beat it.

2house2fly

Magister
It'd be cool if you could drag the cursor to "draw" a route for your characters to go, then you wouldn't need to worry about pathfinding so much.

Suicidal

Arcane
Noticed an interesting thing: I've been playing PoE so far with the option to not show conversation choices for which you don't meet the requirements and while playing I thought that the game didn't have nearly as many different skill checks in dialogues as I hoped. Yesterday I installed PoE on a new PC and transferred my saves and my settings reset and the option to show hidden conversation choices was turned on. I got into a few dialogues and was surprised at how many different choices there actually are - even something as mundane as checking a dying wolf shot by a hunter had a might check, a perception check, a class check, a check if I had something called charm animal (presumably a druid spell) and a few skill checks. However since I didn't meet most of the conditions, had the option been turned off, I wouldn't even know they exist.

I also liked how in the quest with the giftbearers when you dive into the frozen lake to fetch the chest, if you have a wizard in your party, you can use protection against elements that makes diving in completely risk-free.

Would be really cool if making the "wrong" choices punished you more but I guess casuals would hate it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Noticed an interesting thing: I've been playing PoE so far with the option to not show conversation choices for which you don't meet the requirements and while playing I thought that the game didn't have nearly as many different skill checks in dialogues as I hoped. Yesterday I installed PoE on a new PC and transferred my saves and my settings reset and the option to show hidden conversation choices was turned on. I got into a few dialogues and was surprised at how many different choices there actually are - even something as mundane as checking a dying wolf shot by a hunter had a might check, a perception check, a class check, a check if I had something called charm animal (presumably a druid spell) and a few skill checks. However since I didn't meet most of the conditions, had the option been turned off, I wouldn't even know they exist.

I also liked how in the quest with the giftbearers when you dive into the frozen lake to fetch the chest, if you have a wizard in your party, you can use protection against elements that makes diving in completely risk-free.

Would be really cool if making the "wrong" choices punished you more but I guess casuals would hate it.

At least WM part 1 did better job with the dialogue checks but in the base game only pretty much resolve makes really any difference, mostly it's just flavour with little impact on quests, for example.

Suicidal

Arcane
I just want to take a moment to appreciate how well the CYOA style segments are done in this game. They're always written in a way that makes you think you're done with them but then suddenly something dangerous happens and you have to react to it correctly and then as you're thinking that now you're definitely finished another thing pops up and depending on the choices you pick sometimes you end up digging your own grave by attempting to salvage the situation when something goes wrong. And they always happen under circumstances that are extremely threatening - dangling on a rope above a bottomless pit, escaping a collapsing structure, rescuing a family from a burning house, etc. and they're very good at creating suspense in the way that the game keeps asking you if you want to proceed with your actions while constantly giving hints that something ominous may be coming. They're definitely one of my favorite parts of the game. A shame that consequences for failing are often underwhelming - your party may get a bunch of injuries... that are instantly healed by resting, so - eh, whatever.

Also I love how in WM I'm finding more and more instances when CYOA interactions let me use specific skills or spells of my characters.

Suicidal

Arcane

At least WM part 1 did better job with the dialogue checks but in the base game only pretty much resolve makes really any difference, mostly it's just flavour with little impact on quests, for example.

Yeah I remember resolve being extremely important and in most quests that had a peaceful solution that solution is achieved only through a resolve check, which always has the highest requirements and all the other checks, no matter how convincing or logical the conversation options sound, will lead to combat, or combat with a slight advantage for your party.

I'm actually tempted to make a high resolve character if I ever do a complete playthrough once again (it's possible that I'll do it after Deadfire comes out) to see all the different quest solutions. Too bad it's such a shit stat for combat. I guess resolve is the charisma of PoE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Concentration, deflection, and will is significantly better than what charisma gives for most classes.

Seaking4

Learned
A shame that consequences for failing are often underwhelming - your party may get a bunch of injuries... that are instantly healed by resting, so - eh, whatever.

I remember thinking that same thing while playing the WM and then maybe an hour or so later Durance was killed in one of my interactions when he fell off an elevator. That shut me up.

Jezal_k23

A shame that consequences for failing are often underwhelming - your party may get a bunch of injuries... that are instantly healed by resting, so - eh, whatever.

I remember thinking that same thing while playing the WM and then maybe an hour or so later Durance was killed in one of my interactions when he fell off an elevator. That shut me up.

Oh yeah... THAT quest. TWM actually has a few instances where your party members can permanently die, such as that one, which was completely unexpected for me at the time. It doesn't come in a quest where huge shit is about to go down, so you feel as if you're relatively safe.

How many of you know abut "bloody mess" command line? I have seen it in an Obsidian stream and since then I am having fun with it. Along the more pieces of meat exploded at higher distances the pieces actually stay on the ground and you can move them with your character when passing through.

Last edited:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I don't know how buggy the game was at the release, but playing it now patched and expanded, I'm really enjoying playing an isometric rpg again. I just removed Raedic from his castle. Please don't tell me this was already the hardest fight of the game.

I'm playing on hard with a party of 4. More is too crowded. Please help me decide on the 4th member.
MC is a Paladin, then I'm taking the priest and the fighter with me. So for the last spot should I take
the wizard the druid or the cipher (mother) ?

Theoretically I'd choose the cipher. As I understand the class, she's more or less a psionic. So controlling an enemy that deals the damage for me, sounds like the most effective way.

Can I play the other companions quests, if I only temporarily take them with me ?

Prime Junta

I don't know how buggy the game was at the release, but playing it now patched and expanded, I'm really enjoying playing an isometric rpg again. I just removed Raedic from his castle. Please don't tell me this was already the hardest fight of the game.

It's not.

I'm playing on hard with a party of 4. More is too crowded. Please help me decide on the 4th member.
MC is a Paladin, then I'm taking the priest and the fighter with me. So for the last spot should I take
the wizard the druid or the cipher (mother) ?

Try rotating them, see which one suits your style best. I usually play with only one spellcaster (wiz/priest/druid) in the party.

Theoretically I'd choose the cipher. As I understand the class, she's more or less a psionic. So controlling an enemy that deals the damage for me, sounds like the most effective way.

It'll work. I don't much care for how ciphers play though, but that's a personal preference.

Can I play the other companions quests, if I only temporarily take them with me ?

You can, but many of the quests stretch over a looong stretch of the game so it takes some juggling to do them all in a single playthrough.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sadly, Bester and Sensuki no longer work on the IE mod, and the guys who have taken over are nowhere to be found.

There are anecdotal reports on the nexus IE mod page, that its current version will run with PoE 3.05. You could try it out.

There is something with this game that always keeps me coming back. Whether is the good writing of Durance or the Grieving Mother, the outstanding details of the environments or good reactivity found out in some locations. I always enjoy it more then Tyranny or any other new RPG out there (Except for Underrail), I can't quite put my finger on what exactly, but it's there....especially in the beginning of the game. I always love to roll out a new character at different difficulty levels.

Sothpaw

Learned
Backed this game and am finally playing it for the first time. I tried the early access demo years ago and the game seems vastly improved since then. Have to say that the environments are amazing as well. I like Aloth, Eder and Durance and will probably round out the main party with Grieving Mother and Pallegina. So far so good (dwarf barbarian, hard, 4 hours in).

2house2fly

Magister
You'll probably get disillusioned with the main game soon, but if you got the expansion that'll win you back. Tip: after you do a quest called Return To Court a guy called Marshal Forwyn will come to your stronghold. You can wait as long as you want to do the quest he gives you, and it's best to wait until at least the beginning of act 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom