Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The UI is notorious for not telling you important information while swamping you with trivialities, so I'm not surprised the duration is not mentioned anywhere. I just wiki'd it and it really doesn't say how long it lasts, but it says it strikes frequently.

Parabalus

Arcane
Well that is interesting about Relentless Storm being a permastun effect due to the 2 second tics aligning with the stun duration. That part isn't mentioned in the description of course. What is the duration of the spell itself? It also isn't mentioned in the spell description on the wiki (as is frustratingly often the case--as if spell durations are irrelevant).

The druid is a good example of a class that could be fun if someone sensible went in and unnerfed it. I'd start by massively increasing the shapeshift duration or maybe eliminating the duration entirely and turning it into an at will or maybe 3 times per encounter ability and of course at least double or triple the cc/disable spell durations. I know that at least some spell durations were HALVED in recent patches. A pretty major change that is like saying, "We massively fucked up before, but now we are fixing it." Uhuh. The world was upside down before and now it is right side up. Ok.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with current druids' power level, they were overpowered as hell on release. Rangers were very weak and now they are quite good, so it goes both ways.

They did what you suggest as a subclass in PoE2 for druids. I think the way druid forms in pillars work is cool, but it's a large departure from IE, they are actually useful now, so I can see why that bugs you.

The only such massive change I remember is higher level cipher spells being increased in cost massively but also buffed to compensate but not as much so, so it was an overall nerf but impact of spells themselves were increased.

They did more than that, Sawyer mucked around with max focus, focus gain and soul whip damage % to turn cipher into something closer to psychic warrior instead of the prior psion - a brilliant and welcome change, made them very fun to play even if it shaved some power off.

Well the chanter summons used to be a lot longer I think. In fact I thought I read that there was a time when they lasted until they died. Amazing. People were complaining about all the cheesy things it allowed them to do. But lots of wizards spells had their durations shortened I think. Has anyone actually bothered to keep track of all these balance changes, both nerfs and buffs since release?

They have all their patch notes on steam, Psure there were 20ish patches in total.

We played the same game? Because my wizard at the end summoned a magic lance that killed everything

Armored magic users are my thing, the gun was just for show.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(And yes, hitting Caed Nua at level 2 is playing like a retard, how do you even manage that?)

In my Critical Path playthrough, I believe I hit level 3 just as I entered Caed Nua simply from all the area unlocking xp.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah storm spells are p. fucking powerful, no idea what this guy is rambling about. Druid+Cypher+Ranger with Stormcaller will trivialize every encounter simply by CCing the shit out of everything, and all that with minimal micromanagement required.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Modron

Arcane
"Critical Path" means only doing the main quest.
I know what a critical path is just wondering what the motivation was.... Played through poe + wm1/2 myself but I can't really imagine running through it again even at an accelerated pace.

Parabalus

Arcane
In my Critical Path playthrough, I believe I hit level 3 just as I entered Caed Nua simply from all the area unlocking xp.

I know what a critical path is just wondering what the motivation was.... Played through poe + wm1/2 myself but I can't really imagine running through it again even at an accelerated pace.

I did that once, you hit Caed Nua at level 3 and get to White March at level 4 so you grab the nice items asap. The ogres hit hard but they have low defenses so they can be handled with *gasp* CC.

almondblight

Arcane
You aren't reading. I never said that Wizard summons are worthless.

:hmmm:

Summons that last 8 seconds? These are a joke. In fact I don't think there is a single crowd control or summon or disable spell in the entire game that is worth taking.

But this:

I haven't tried them...

...is telling. You're saying that these spells are no good, then speculating on the motivations behind making them weak, and you haven't even tried them yet. I mean, really.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You doing a solo relative pacifism run or something?

I wanted to do critical path and megadungeon/bounties instead of most sidequests so I wouldn't be overleveled. Turns out I hated the megadungeon and got bored of the bounties after doing nearly half a dozen.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What's this I'm reading about ciphers being weak? My cipher had the most kills and most damage dealt all the way from level 1 to max level in a full party. (He was also knocked out more often than all the other characters - except maybe Itumaak - combined, but that's how I roll with low con, light armor and suicidal tactics...)

Then again, I only played on normal because I suck at games and didn't feel like micromanaging that much, so maybe I played wrong somehow.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ciphers are "game plays itself" mode so anyone who fails with one simply can't play.

Parabalus

Arcane
Ciphers are "game plays itself" mode so anyone who fails with one simply can't play.

Ciphers are one of the more involved classes to play properly since you have to position 2 characters for every ability and you pump them out rapidly. If you play a melee one as a glass cannon it's even harder. Their AI is one of the worst too.

What's this I'm reading about ciphers being weak? My cipher had the most kills and most damage dealt all the way from level 1 to max level in a full party. (He was also knocked out more often than all the other characters - except maybe Itumaak - combined, but that's how I roll with low con, light armor and suicidal tactics...)

Then again, I only played on normal because I suck at games and didn't feel like micromanaging that much, so maybe I played wrong somehow.

I'm pretty confident they are in the bottom half power level wise, but that's not really too relevant since all classes are sufficiently close, so it isn't a huge deal.

It's pretty normal for your PC to have highest damage done etc. since you build him optimally and focused for damage, don't think I've ever had any of the NPC's come close, maybe Maneha vs a rogue PC.

I also like more glassy builds, makes everything more fun, only char I tried with more than 3 CON was a monk coz he sorely needed it.

jewboy

Arbiter
Holy shit, man! Did you take your medicine this morning?

Well learn to read you illiterate fuck. Are you better at reading Portuguese? Wtf. I didn't even write that much. That's probably about as far as you can get. Am I right? Ever read a book? Are you a Millennial or just some third world fuckwit? You guys never read anything and write so little. Every post is like a sentence with less than 140 characters. I wonder why that is.

Yeah I know there are exceptions, but a lot of your generation are like that. It's just sad. The least expressive humans born since we were in caves. You must hate all us old geezers with our long rambling discourse, but we just find you guys boring as fuck. Basically a bunch of inexpressive selfish assholes. Growing up with SMS, helicopter parents, and an internet full of assholes are probably to blame but it sucks talking to you lot.

jewboy

Arbiter
:hmmm:

But this:

...is telling. You're saying that these spells are no good, then speculating on the motivations behind making them weak, and you haven't even tried them yet. I mean, really.

I've tried some of them. Enough of them to have an informed opinion on spell duration.

jewboy

Arbiter
I did that once, you hit Caed Nua at level 3 and get to White March at level 4 so you grab the nice items asap. The ogres hit hard but they have low defenses so they can be handled with *gasp* CC.

I do it because I want to see if I can win the fight at L3 before I try it at L4. It's one of the best battles of the early game and should be savored. To me it's sort of like going after Firkraag right after Chateau Irenicus. You do it because it's fun. I never did beat Firkraag though. He's the only dragon in BG2 that I could not beat. I had fun trying a hundred different ways though. Well actually I did Feeblemind him once or twice but then I had to reload because what's the point of that? I am looking forward to trying the dragon fights in Pillars. At least they seem to look great based on screenshots.

Prime Junta

I do it because I want to see if I can win the fight at L3 before I try it at L4. It's one of the best battles of the early game and should be savored. To me it's sort of like going after Firkraag right after Chateau Irenicus. You do it because it's fun. I never did beat Firkraag though. He's the only dragon in BG2 that I could not beat. I had fun trying a hundred different ways though. Well actually I did Feeblemind him once or twice but then I had to reload because what's the point of that? I am looking forward to trying the dragon fights in Pillars. At least they seem to look great based on screenshots.

jewboy whaa my party is too weak

also jewboy :goes out of his way to hit a hard fight early because it's fun:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom