Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Parabalus

Arcane
Is there a point to wearing armor without stats at all on someone that isn't a tank lol? I'm currently wearing plain clothes and have 3 of my other peeps naked.

No, especially on ranged characters. On melee it's iffier since that AI can swap to them willy nilly. When the came out my PC rogue wore Ixamitl clothing the whole game, with TWM you can remove recovery from robes so clothing does get phased out definitely.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I remember wearing only plain clothes on my PC the whole game when it came out, too. I was just wondering if that has changed. I guess not. It's kind of a weird design choice tbh.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Still undecided about this game but Rogue is awesome, especially compared to Ranger. Ranger's pet is pathetic even if you waste feats buffing it. So the only thing Ranger has over Rogue is Arrow Sense (+15 deflection vs range attacks) but Rogue's damage feats are like 3X better than Ranger's. Besides Rogue has awesome feats like Escape and Shadowing Beyond.

This is based on solo PotD but I don't see why it would be any different with a party.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yeah, I remember wearing only plain clothes on my PC the whole game when it came out, too. I was just wondering if that has changed. I guess not. It's kind of a weird design choice tbh.

The issue is DR of anything below a breastplate doesn't really matter and any of your characters will be much more tanky with a shield and weapon & shield style talent that only really a paladin with deep faith can compare. This is what Josh is trying to adress with new penetration mechanics I assume.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ranger's pet is pathetic even if you waste feats buffing it.

Which one? I picked bear for my hireling ranger because I wanted to use him (her? who knows?) as a tank, buffed it with Resilient Companion and it can stand its own pretty well, at least for now.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

My frontliners typically wear Plate, minimum Breastplate. I rather like them alive and kicking and Plate helps a lot. Also Sanguine Plate is of this type and I like both it's Frenzy trigger and the +2 Survival bonus.
Wizard usually wears padded... when he casts DaoM he's very fast anyways and gets diesplacement and Arcane Mantle when he gets the heat.
Cipher wears Breasplate, like her to keep on kicking, even if she gets aggro.
Ranger typically wears Leather/Robe, depending on need.
Priest.. I would like to protect him, but his cast speed is pretty essential, so Durganized chain or even Robe, I guess.

Still undecided about this game but Rogue is awesome, especially compared to Ranger. Ranger's pet is pathetic even if you waste feats buffing it. So the only thing Ranger has over Rogue is Arrow Sense (+15 deflection vs range attacks) but Rogue's damage feats are like 3X better than Ranger's. Besides Rogue has awesome feats like Escape and Shadowing Beyond.

This is based on solo PotD but I don't see why it would be any different with a party.

Disagree. Ranger is like two characters in one. The pet is an excellent offtank/interceptor or flanker, who's great at protecting your backline and can coordinate with the ranger to tear anyone apart in seconds. Attack speed is low, but hits like a truck. Ranger himself is excellent at removing enemy squishies without ever being at risk. Best Ranger class skillset out of all games I have played.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

You need to invest in deflection or heavy micro to keep your rogue uptime to dish the damage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ranger's pet is pathetic even if you waste feats buffing it.

Which one? I picked bear for my hireling ranger because I wanted to use him (her? who knows?) as a tank, buffed it with Resilient Companion and it can stand its own pretty well, at least for now.

As usual, Jason's absolutes are misleading. If you want damage, Ranger can't compete with the Rogue (well, mostly, at least). The Ranger brings utility and harassment to the table that the Rogue just doesn't have.

Prime Junta

Is there a point to wearing armor without stats at all on someone that isn't a tank lol? I'm currently wearing plain clothes and have 3 of my other peeps naked.

I find the game most enjoyable to play with everybody wearing some armour -- generally padded-ish or leather-ish for squishier ones, breastplate-ish to platemail-ish for frontliners. It is possible to play the game effectively with little to no armour, but I find it tedious -- I find it requires too much micro or other busywork.

Prime Junta

About rangers.

Probably my most steamrollery party I played with had three rangers, two paladins, and a druid, all dwarves or orlans. First line is the animals, second line is paladin, druid, paladin, third line is the rangers. Animals hold the front, rangers rain destruction from the back, paladins keep the animals standing as well as provide overlapping auras (Focus and Endurance or Charge), plus buff and remove status conditions, and if there's anybody left when the animals finally go down, mop it up and hold it down to finish the fight; in really tough cases I'd let Hiravias off the leash with his spells.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I can confirm. Currently playing with four paladins and it's pretty clearly not meant for stuff like that. When I get Sacred Immolation I suspect it's gonna get pretty stupid

Prime Junta

I can confirm. Currently playing with four paladins and it's pretty clearly not meant for stuff like that. When I get Sacred Immolation I suspect it's gonna get pretty stupid

...says the guy who was sniffing at my Red Wizard / Arcane Scholar...

Jason Liang

Arcane
"Ranger is like two characters in one."

Why do you need two characters in one to play a game that you can solo on the hardest difficulty? If my rogue actually needed a tank or offtank, I'd have recruited Eber or a monk.

Parabalus

Arcane
"Ranger is like two characters in one."

Why do you need two characters in one to play a game that you can solo on the hardest difficulty? If my rogue actually needed a tank or offtank, I'd have recruited Eber or a monk.

Why do you need a party in Bg2 when you can solo on the highest difficulty? It's fun.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Here's a funny bug - Eder has a quip when you get to the second level of the Eothas Temple, but it still triggers even if he isn't in the party. It's like nobody at Obsidian could fathom that you might not have Eder in your party then, so they programmed it to trigger on area transition rather than checking if he's present.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyway, cleared out Magran's Fork, coming from BG1 the combat is very clusterfucky and it feels 10 times faster (in a bad way). I might start using slow mode.
Combat is pretty bad, coming from BG and IWD. I find slow mode to be a must.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Anything can make for a "tank", but tanks aren't really something you need in PoE. Give someone a shield and weapon & shield talent and they can frontline, the problem comes from them providing utility afterwards.

I feel while Paladins can get super hard to kill they don't provide enough impact when focused purely as a damage-soaker. Pallegina has an advantage of in-built talent of AS boost for your party. Still you are forfeiting a lot of damage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
My paladin is currently level 3 and almost impossible to take down, so they are fine as tanks. They can't engage as many enemies as fighters, but eehh. The combination of heavy armor + shield fucks up your recovery, though, which pisses me off to no end, active abilities take forever to activate and with the ultra-fast clusterfuck that is the combat I feel it's a major negative.

Sentinel

Arcane
Well I'm trying to replay the game with different companions... I already used 90% of them in one of my playthroughs, and Edér was present in all of them and I never really used Paladin Vagina so I was looking to replace him. I'm having a hard time finding motivation though because everything's still the same.

This is yet another one of PoE's short comings. BG had at least 2 companions for each class in the game. In PoE1 and 2 with one playthrough you see 90% of the companions available and there's really no point replaying the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom