Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
He said he gave the guy a 'drythan welcome' or something along those lines. Dialogue option was:

"What is a drythan welcome?"

Like DUUURRRR wtf am I playing as a social retard or autist or something? My char has 16 int too so it's not like int is too low to read between lines in dialogue or something. I'm noticing that dialogue options like that pop up a bit too frequently

I take it you didn't click on that response. Eder's response is, "We blew him up." It's a joke. There's nitpicking, and then there's nitpicking. Never change, Codex.

You wish that kind of thing was a joke.

...You know the game tells you it's a joke, right?

it's not the only incident in the game - or any modern RPG - where this happens, not at all are declinated as "jokes".

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
He said he gave the guy a 'drythan welcome' or something along those lines. Dialogue option was:

"What is a drythan welcome?"

Like DUUURRRR wtf am I playing as a social retard or autist or something? My char has 16 int too so it's not like int is too low to read between lines in dialogue or something. I'm noticing that dialogue options like that pop up a bit too frequently

I take it you didn't click on that response. Eder's response is, "We blew him up." It's a joke. There's nitpicking, and then there's nitpicking. Never change, Codex.

???

I know it's a joke.. Isn't it obviously a joke given the context? I'm just saying that I don't really need a conversation option where Eder has to break it down and explain the joke and my character comes off as being an autist who can't into figures of speech.

I kinda had to click on that option though because Eder was obviously a potential companion and I needed to figure out how to unlock the "wanna join my team?" dialogue option.

There have been a few instances where this has happened already, where the game needs to explain the meaning behind some trivially obvious phrase and it makes me feel like my character is a 12 year old who can't really grasp conversation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't forget - first draft of average video game writers. I suggest skipping most dialogue and especially descriptive text, almost all the dialogue in the base game isn't important at all. The playthrough I finished 2 weeks ago took me 100 hours (at least the save file says so) and I skipped most of the dialogue in the base game. Although I have the habit of alt-tabbing and keeping the game open for lengthy periods of time, so 100 hours is probably not indicative of the average playthrough. My point is that it's a looooong game and reading what amounts to flavor text for the majority of conversations is tedious, pointless and wastes a lot of time.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Oh one other thing that annoys me is that as far as I'm aware, there's no option to turn off voice acting when in dialogue windows. You can turn voice volume all the way down but that cuts off all voice work period which means you won't hear any voicing when outside of dialogue boxes (random chatter and ambiance stuff), which is annoying.

I would appreciate an option to turn off voice acting only when in a dialogue window because I read 10x faster than some dope can talk and the voice-over is distracting. And there seems to be a lot of it.. Basically every NPC with a proper name so far has at least some voice acting and it's really annoying.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They only added separate sliders for voice and ambient after being asked during the final days of the beta. They were that rushed.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Been thinking about re-playing the game and going through the expansion for the first time. Is the archer/hunter class actually viable? What about the mage? I remember back during the release that the 'psychic-mage' was the most op character in game, and was rather fun to play too, but now I'm leaning more toward an archer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything is viable in a party. The Ultimate might not be doable with every class, but that's different. Cipher and Priest are OP.

Hyperion

Arcane
There's a vid of a Ranger killing the Alpine Dragon solo on PotD. Ranger is quite good, especially with a fully upgraded Stormcaller and the Twin Shots Modal activated.

Quillon

Arcane
I wonder how all those shitting on itemization in Pillows, are faring with DOS2's itemization, obligated to upgrade all the gear for every character every couple levels with only higher numbers attached.

Sannom

Augur
I've finished the game with a Ranger on hard. Having two rangers can lead to some interesting boss fights at high level, as the Binding Root power becomes available. Sticking multiple melee fighters away from the fight for the entire duration is rather fun and makes a few of them much easier.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I wonder how all those shitting on itemization in Pillows, are faring with DOS2's itemization, obligated to upgrade all the gear for every character every couple levels with only higher numbers attached.

If you swapped the two systems some people on here wouldn't notice.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys I'm going through PoE again to properly play the expansions at PotD difficulty.
I'm wondering how did you all build Durance? I'm not sure if I should have him in the front line or with a quarterstaff a bit back or what...
I rolled a Rogue and I play only with the story companions because my immersun is critical

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In the back with the Arquebus. His staff is nice, but it's missing 10 Accuracy bonus from his proficiency with longswords and arquebuses.

Prime Junta

In the back with the Arquebus. His staff is nice, but it's missing 10 Accuracy bonus from his proficiency with longswords and arquebuses.

It's a real shame they didn't have the Soulbound mechanic in the base game. Durance's staff should have been Soulbound to him.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Was my thought too indeed. Now that I had it confirmed I will do it happily haha

Parabalus

Arcane
Hey guys I'm going through PoE again to properly play the expansions at PotD difficulty.
I'm wondering how did you all build Durance? I'm not sure if I should have him in the front line or with a quarterstaff a bit back or what...
I rolled a Rogue and I play only with the story companions because my immersun is critical

I usually give him the soulbound rod. As a priest he's most useful casting so clothing/durganized robes are a must, weapon doesn't really matter that much - the rod is useful against all enemies with dual damage type so you don't have to worry about it. Arquebus is shit DPS even with flavourful Magran talent, the only one with a useful debuff is from a late bounty, so I don't think it's worth it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
PoTD is generally lots of fun, especially since I know the systems and can crush through some encounters that seemed harded even in lower difficulties before.
...But I'm still wondering how the hell were some encounters in Od Nua considered "acceptable" to be in the game.
They really feel like someone just mass clicked "add monster" in a room. Like a room filled with 100 Xaurips of all sorts and some Wurms. Oh, what fun!
It'll be my third run and my opinion is pretty clear by now: Some levels of Od Nua are probably the worst of the game. They seem like "fillers"

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

I usually give him the soulbound rod. As a priest he's most useful casting so clothing/durganized robes are a must, weapon doesn't really matter that much - the rod is useful against all enemies with dual damage type so you don't have to worry about it. Arquebus is shit DPS even with flavourful Magran talent, the only one with a useful debuff is from a late bounty, so I don't think it's worth it.

Guns have bad dps but you aren't supposed to be really doing DPS, I consider it like another nuke you can use if necessary to finish off a low HP mob in clutch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom