Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

2house2fly

Magister
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the new Deadfire Pack items are bugged. The soulbound arbalest reloads 50% slower when you level it up (presumably it was meant to be 50% faster) and the soulbound hat has a 10% chance to cast confuse when you're hit... including when you're hit by healing spells cast by your allies.

Obsidian gonna Obsidian.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I tried PoE, and the combat system is disaster. Interactivity next to zero. And even initial part of story they didn't even made a window with dialogue for that person who watched that tree.

Reinhardt

Arcane
it just means you've got to really really want to heal (or buff, presumably) whoever's wearing it
I'm wearing it. And i'm squishy thief so i need heal often. Spent all money from Roedric's castle for belt and hat yesterday.:bunkertime:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the soulbound hat has a 10% chance to cast confuse when you're hit... including when you're hit by healing spells cast by your allies.
Even better, I'ver managed to confuse myself (and also my character ;) ) by using a self-targetting ability while wearing the hat.

Anyway, I have finished The White March and I am pretty impressed - the expansion is really good. So good in fact, that it manages to elevate the whole game from being mediocre to very enjoyable (a couple of dozen patches probably helped too). I even got hooked enough that I have decided to do all the optional stuff I originally skipped.

Thanks for writing a review and finally encouraging me to play this, Grunker.

Looking forward to Deadfire, but I will only play it when it is actually DONE. As in, after all the expansions are released and they finish patching it. I do not want an inferior experience again.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Unfortunately, some points made by Prime Junta makes me nervous about Deadfire. It seems like they've gone in the direct opposite direction of what they should with the writing and have made some bad streamlining decisions with the character system. Starting to lose my faith that it will be BG2 levels of improvements, at least.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why u got ur lol on, Roguey?

"they've gone in the direct opposite direction of what they should with the writing and have made some bad streamlining decisions with the character system."

I was dead certain of the latter and the former isn't too surprising considering the writers available.

Prime Junta

Unfortunately, some points made by Prime Junta makes me nervous about Deadfire. It seems like they've gone in the direct opposite direction of what they should with the writing and have made some bad streamlining decisions with the character system. Starting to lose my faith that it will be BG2 levels of improvements, at least.

The writing isn't any worse than in P1. It just doesn't strike me as being any better. I am still giving it the benefit of the doubt though, we'll only really see what it amounts to when we have the proper companions and main quest.

The character system and some other mechanical changes are indeed fairly severe :decline:. We will see how much it improves in the beta but IMO there are some fundamental bad decisions there, especially spells as feats rather than a mechanically separate system.

Reinhardt

Arcane
What about bounties in PoE+WM? Are they still broken as fuck or i can clear them without making game too easy?

2house2fly

Magister
What about bounties in PoE+WM? Are they still broken as fuck or i can clear them without making game too easy?
The WM ones are pretty much intended as extra-tough battles, something to make use of your high-level abilities and maxed-out soulbounds

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I went back to this because I haven't actually played WM 1&2. Ended up spending 4,5 hours with it. I reached Caed Nua, clearing the 4 top levels. I have cleared every quest that is possible so far. I immediately compare battle speed and 6 character party to Pillars 2 Backer Beta. Battle speed can be fixed but 6characters feel better to me.

2house2fly

Magister
They added some optional scaling to act 3 and 4 which makes them a little less of a cakewalk if you go into them at high level, but if you can beat the bounties starting at level 5 the game is going to be too easy for you no matter what.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They added some optional scaling to act 3 and 4 which makes them a little less of a cakewalk if you go into them at high level, but if you can beat the bounties starting at level 5 the game is going to be too easy for you no matter what.
Well if the last time he played it was back during 1.x before they rebalanced xp awards and practically everything else, then the game has changed quite a bit since then. :M

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So bit more into the problems I seen in PoE.
The real time combat, well they seen turn based combat in Baldurs Gate, and acted as if the turn based combat was intended to be real time with pause. They wanted to make it simultaneous, but keep turn based feeling from DnD. PoE in theirs blind copying BG 2 went for combat that was intended as real time with pause, purely. BG2 problems with Area spells were made only massively worse. And they for some reasons screwed up pathfinding to be worse than in 15+ year old game.

The whole weird movement and real time basically forces enemies to run around the whole group to attack next opponent, and when you don't move a character directly, he runs around in weird patterns.

They seen a BG2, and while the environments are high fidelity, theirs idea of moving on 2D high fidelity maps feels weird when all these barrels are basically just 2D decoration without any interaction. There is also no damage to the environment, and table looks like one of most hard materials in the whole castle.

Story is probably too epic, and fells short. Too much shock, and too little quality writting.
And I already mentioned they might spend more effort in introduction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom