Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

the_shadow

Arcane
Older games weren't any greater. Old people just look at them with greater nolstalgia.

I'm not sure if that's always the case, although nostalgia probably does play a role in some cases. There's also the simple fact that good games are remembered, whereas mediocre/crap games are forgotten, a type of recall bias. Finally there has been a trend to move away from games actually having gameplay, and containing too much walking/cutscenes/pointless dialogue.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Just speaking about the RPG genre specifically, most older games had very primitive, obtuse, and unbalanced rulesets.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Some RPG systems today are more advanced than anything back in the day. Especially in the realm of tabletop gaming, but also in videogames as well.

The four most important advancements I've seen in modern video RPG design are...

- The inclusion of more roleplaying oriented systems

- Greater acceptance of freeform character building

- More interesting choices during character progression

- Less false choices (older RPGs were plagued with objectively bad choices)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this is some good trolling going on right now. pay attention folks, this is how it's done.

EDIT: although he did tip his hand too much with the less false choices.

Stokowski

Arcane
So after three years I finally finished this fucker and it was ... OK. The overall package seemed an admirable effort, but one that's hard to really love.

Wot I thought:
- Combat mechanics and itemisation were deeply awful.
- Too much of the writing was overdone and/or dreadfully earnest. Who cares about your encyclopedic world building if the tone is so drab?
- Party members were a mixed bag but generally likeable or interesting enough to keep around and help on their personal quests.
- The setting and basic plot premise seemed to hold a decent amount of promise, but ...
- Surely the central philosophical question at the heart of the game is "is there a difference that really matters between creator god(s) and created god(s)?", but that debate never arose. Why? It's as if PST never asked what could change the nature of a man.
- The White March was good fun and a significant notch better than the base game in almost every way. Returning to Act III Main Quest after completing The White March was not an enjoyable experience.
- CYOA segments worked well.
- 2D art (of this calibre) is still awesome. Animations were excellent too.
- No RPG should ever, ever, start with the main character suffering from chronic shits. I'm sure the idea got a laugh in the writers' room, but ought never have made it into the actual product.

Don't really feel like trying Deadfire now, but I'll probably end up picking it up on a sale in about three years time.

2house2fly

Magister
That's not the central question, the question is "what if we can be assured of nothing?" The gods are themselves an answer to that question.

You don't actually have the shits in the intro, your soul is just getting restless because it has memories of the Engwithan ruins you're near

Prime Junta

you guys are just sore because they didn't have the budget for proper animations and FX for it

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is true. I was so disappointed I couldn't see in painstaking detail how my character diarrheas everywhere.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE2, I'm not going to wade through an ocean of bugs in Kingmaker. I have a lot of other games to play before they fix it. I am looking forward to it, however, as this has been the most positive the 'Dex has been for any new RPG. I'm also interested whether the quality of Kingmaker drops as the chapters progress, or if it feels unfinished.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
PoE2, I'm not going to wade through an ocean of bugs in Kingmaker. I have a lot of other games to play before they fix it. I am looking forward to it, however, as this has been the most positive the 'Dex has been for any new RPG. I'm also interested whether the quality of Kingmaker drops as the chapters progress, or if it feels unfinished.
:cool: The game doesn't have many bugs,all of them about quests and triggers. Nothing to stop a combatfag from jizzing all over the screen. I am curious to see if you are real combatfag or just another pseudo ;).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom