Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Released

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not only what Electryon is saying, but Beamdog actively supporting the EE ensures it will be supported, patched and taken care of going forward. No one will have to rely on a patchwork modded version that had to cobble together while simultaneously crossing their fingers hoping it will continue to work with outdated user mods. If you don't think that service alone is worth an extra $10 then I don't know what to say to you. That's not even considering the updates they've done to the game, the improvements and the sheer fact that people are talking about, playing and hyped up again for Planescape Fucking Torment. Do you think that bodes well for future CRPGs like it, perhaps? Hmm?

Icewind dale enhanced edition last patch was from 2015. Nice support for sure.
Maybe because all of the issues have been hammered by 1.5 decades of fan mods beamdog incorporated into their product. They only patch what they fucked up themselves.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Given you never played PST before the EE came out, where do you get this stuff about 'crossing fingers' and comparisons of the versions from?

I've seen screenshots of the modded version at high resolution. The UI is not suitable at high res as it becomes tiny, much like the NWN UI does. There also is no mod that I'm aware of that adds TAB highlighting, a zoom function or a searchable journal, to name a few.

I've also modded plenty of other games with user mods and know how that goes. The mods for older games are generally older mods that are no longer supported, and many times you do have to cross your fingers and hope your game doesn't crash or introduce some new compatability issue. It's called Modding Hell for a reason. I should know, I've been there. Several times. I am a Planeswalker. :)

But beyond that, unless you are suggesting that using a variety of user mods cobbled together on your own is more stable than a professional retooling, packaging and supporting of the game like what Beamdog does, I'm going to just have to disagree based on personal experience. And I don't think you would suggest using old user mods would be more future-proofed for future operating systems updates as well, either, right? The whole customer support thing helps, too, so while Beamdog does use mods in their build (yes, I am aware they used that fellow's mod package in the EE) they also actively support them, so if you have an issue they will answer you and help you. They will also patch the game as well. Seems like a very good deal to me.

And if you still think all of that isn't worth an extra $10, then I again point you to the fact that we are discussing PS:T in 2017, and many people on Steam are doing the same. That alone is a great thing for CRPG culture. More of these EEs generates more discussion about the classics + generates public awareness of CRPGs = more CRPGs for us in the future. It's a pretty simple concept.

What the fuck you on about? It's not worth an extra $10 for you either since you fucking begged for it like a bitch!
Never mind that you play each game that you beg for, for 20 minutes then spew some crap about it for hours like you're some learned and wizened veteran of it! Fuck off poser!
And what 'personal experience' do you have to compare the Beamturd version with the original when by your own fucking admission, you never played the original???

Fuck it. DarkUnderlord , ban this fucking piece of shit as his existence here is an affront to all Codexers and God.

Electryon

Savant
What the fuck you on about? It's not worth an extra $10 for you either since you fucking begged for it like a bitch!
Never mind that you play each game that you beg for, for 20 minutes then spew some crap about it for hours like you're some learned and wizened veteran of it! Fuck off poser!
And what 'personal experience' do you have to compare the Beamturd version with the original when by your own fucking admission, you never played the original???

Fuck it. DarkUnderlord , ban this fucking piece of shit as his existence here is an affront to all Codexers and God.

Except he's completely correct about how the UI scales with the high-res and Ghostdog UI mods.

skyst

Augur
Not only what Electryon is saying, but Beamdog actively supporting the EE ensures it will be supported, patched and taken care of going forward. No one will have to rely on a patchwork modded version that had to cobble together while simultaneously crossing their fingers hoping it will continue to work with outdated user mods. If you don't think that service alone is worth an extra $10 then I don't know what to say to you. That's not even considering the updates they've done to the game, the improvements and the sheer fact that people are talking about, playing and hyped up again for Planescape Fucking Torment. Do you think that bodes well for future CRPGs like it, perhaps? Hmm?

Icewind dale enhanced edition last patch was from 2015. Nice support for sure.
Maybe because all of the issues have been hammered by 1.5 decades of fan mods beamdog incorporated into their product. They only patch what they fucked up themselves.

But what about the new interface options added to BG? They caught a lot of shit about it for sure, though iirc there was talk of it getting added to IWD and I haven't heard anything about it lately. Also last I checked IWD didn't have achievements or trading cards yet! :roll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Except he's completely correct about how the UI scales with the high-res and Ghostdog UI mods.

Except he still never played PST, read some shit on wikipedia and only played the EE for a little and then started babbling about how it's the only way to play this game.

Beware the wikipedia/twitch gamer. Watching or reading about a game has become synonymous with playing. And it's understandable, really, since games are about watching now.

I'm not sure why people can't get it through their thick skulls that there are plenty of people in the world who don't want to mod Baldur's Gate or Planescape for 30 minutes after installing it, and THAT is the audience for these Enhanced Editions. The old versions are part of the package on GOG, so who gives a shit??

Gotta be a really niche segment of the market, people who are interested in PST at all but don't have the patience to read a modding tutorial to know where to install a handful of files. You'd think the screenshots would send them running for the hills.:M

Besides, Skyrim SE on consoles has big mod lists. There's really no excuse anymore.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm not sure why people can't get it through their thick skulls that there are plenty of people in the world who don't want to mod Baldur's Gate or Planescape for 30 minutes after installing it, and THAT is the audience for these Enhanced Editions. The old versions are part of the package on GOG, so who gives a shit??

Gotta be a really niche segment of the market, people who are interested in PST at all but don't have the patience to read a modding tutorial to know where to install a handful of files. You'd think the screenshots would send them running for the hills.:M

Well, that was me. I even have a licence for the old gog version and had tried modding it but it was always slightly fucked looking. As someone who is a unix dev for my job the last thing I want to do when I come home is debug some 10 year old windows program.

Anyway, PSTEE isn't all roses either. I have a recurring crash that happens ~1% of the time when I go through a door. The game does save just before going through every door though so I never actually loose progress. Oh well.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:
But fr though, PS:T:EE was good, and people that have a problem with EEs on principle without being able to articulate an actual argument are biased retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom