Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment walkthrough - no longer a virgin

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Only Blondie and I were left. T

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
This is the best thread I've read, no doubt about that. While there've been a lot of good ones, I wouldn't group this one with any other due to its sheer uniqueness, one of a kind for sure. There are threads, and there is this.
It mirrors my own experiences very well. Pretty much got to live through PS:T twice.

Pallebahtep

Novice
This is the best thread I've read, no doubt about that. While there've been a lot of good ones, I wouldn't group this one with any other due to its sheer uniqueness, one of a kind for sure. There are threads, and there is this.
It mirrors my own experiences very well. Pretty much got to live through PS:T twice.

I totally agree, reading this has been like playing PS:T again some 15 years older and wiser than I was the first time - only the author is twice as articulate in writing as I am inside my own head. I'm crossing every finger I have that this is seen through to conclusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prime Junta

I'm sure Avellone knows, but he can't talk about it. If he did, it would cheapen it.

The other thing is, the experience the game catalyses for some of us is intensely personal and, I think, reflects something about who and what each of us is. I think I got that same feeling of blinding insight when I completed it, but if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to describe it, my description would be pretty different. If MCA explained what kind of experience he intended players to have, it would do terrible damage to that personal dimension of it. It's like a delicate crystal flower of a thousand thousand planes, and how it looks to you depends on the light and the angle at which you're looking at it.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
So, my question, dear reader, IS CHRIS AVELLONE GOD?
Cris Avellone is widely regarded as the second coming of Jesus.

Otherwise I claim BABEL FISH.
Since he's part of the holy trinity, he is in fact God, so yeah, Babel Fish.

In all seriousness though, I think he was having a burst of almost uncontrolled creativity. The game has many flaws, and really loses momentum in many areas, only to pick up speed again and again.

I would even say that I RESPECT PST. Like my best ever teacher?
I like that you have this sentiment. I was 18 when played it and the game contained a lot of food for thought, but I thought part of that was me being at a susceptible age for the ideas PS:T presented.

If you:

Made the choices I made,
Helped the people I helped,
Had the feelings I developed,
Tried to be good alignment as the First tried to be good

Then in your pilgrimage you become THE FIRST INCARNATION.

Well, what if you had made different choices? Say, for example, that you didn't keep the bronze sphere.

You would still make it to the end and learn that one way or another, no matter your beginnings, your faith is inevitable. It's the journey that matters and what has shaped you.
I think it was Reekwind who asks you about the value of names, whether a given name or name you've earned matters more. What was your answer to him?

I don't think the good incarnation was really good, but again one of those warped characters Chris Avellone likes to introduce in the game. He has committed unthinkable atrocities and isn't man enough to face the consequences. He goes out of his way to avoid his faith, ultimately creating a near endless cycle of suffering, not only for himself, but to those around him.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Well, what if you had made different choices? Say, for example, that you didn't keep the bronze sphere.

You would still make it to the end and learn that one way or another, no matter your beginnings, your faith is inevitable. It's the journey that matters and what has shaped you.
I think it was Reekwind who asks you about the value of names, whether a given name or name you've earned matters more. What was your answer to him?

I don't think the good incarnation was really good, but again one of those warped characters Chris Avellone likes to introduce in the game. He has committed unthinkable atrocities and isn't man enough to face the consequences. He goes out of his way to avoid his faith, ultimately creating a near endless cycle of suffering, not only for himself, but to those around him.

Thank for your response.

Afraid to say I missed Reekwind so don't know about that.

I am beginning to think Practical, Paranoid and Good are related to the three possible alignments in the game and also linked to your play style.

For example with Deionarra. Some players might think the woman should get lost and stop harassing them. They simply use her the same way practical would. No empathy with her at all.

Another player might try and kill her like Paranoid would. They would go through the game maybe as anarchist plot and see how far they could go.

Thinking it through, if you never got the Sphere you would never know it contained the memories of the First and you would still meet Good but not know he was the First. I don't know what that even means and whether the endings be different as a result.

Shame - the more I read some of the posts on this thread I realise I still rank amateur in PST knowledge.

For some reason as I was writing in the thread I sort of thought or realised I had become the First. Maybe that is not true or it's my truth.

Pretty amazing never the less. Sort of fits nicely in the circular nature of the game and the power of threes too.

Real interesting to hear the game is personal for each player and they would interpret the journey in different ways.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
I can't even imagine I could do this. I even tried once to see how and if the game was different and I could not get going.

Some invisible hand stopped me.
Same here I always end up neutral or chaotic good. Even though I'm normally a min-maxxer, I can't play lawful good either, despite the fact that it yields the best results.

I don't know how most people get emotionally attached to this game.
I had no problem with throwing Morte at the pillars, ratting out Forked-Tongue or beheading Trias.
I can be an evil bastard in Fallout, tearing up little children's dolls before their eyes, but not in Torment for some reason. My girlfriend played PS:T a few years ago. When I asked about her alignment she was surprised she was chaotic evil. Turned out that she was making promises she didn't keep and killed every undead in the Dead Nations. Come to think of it, I'm only with her because she scares me. I mean, she killed children in Fallout 2 only because they stole from her.

pippin

Your gf sounds perfectly reasonable. Just don't cheat on her. She might do a free sex change operation on you without warning.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Everybody who hasn't should try scrappin wi Paranoid Incarnation, he actually rips off his own arm an uses it as a weapon, fuckin cool little detail.

Gotta ask though, all them deaths, all them Shadows Nameless created when he stole their lives to fuel his own, is that crime, that wound in the Multiverse your incarnations fault? Way I see it yes it is, when we merge all harm other incarnations have done is my fault an regret is my answer as well, an what drives me in me playthrough. I've harmed the planes enough in me selfish effort to forge me own path, I might have shrugged off or delayed destiny, an been a proponent of self determination but perhaps I needed limits an consequences for me actions.

I know one thing though, even Blood War might not be able to contain what I become when I *know* myself. I think in some ways, like all the other factions, theres an element o truth to Godsmens philosophy.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Thanks for all your efforts Lord Azlan. It was long overdue that the number one RPG of the Codex got a proper playthrough. Turns out, it took someone who saved his virginity for over 15 years to write a Let’s Play that does the game justice.

1. This is what my eyes see, my Love, unfettered by the shackles of time... You shall meet enemies three, but none more dangerous than yourself in your full glory. They are shades of evil, of good, and of neutrality given life and twisted by the laws of the planes.
Looking back, who do you think these three enemies were?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Thanks for all your efforts Lord Azlan. It was long overdue that the number one RPG of the Codex got a proper playthrough. Turns out, it took someone who saved his virginity for over 15 years to write a Let’s Play that does the game justice.

1. This is what my eyes see, my Love, unfettered by the shackles of time... You shall meet enemies three, but none more dangerous than yourself in your full glory. They are shades of evil, of good, and of neutrality given life and twisted by the laws of the planes.
Looking back, who do you think these three enemies were?

Crap - a quiz?

I was going to say the incarnations but THE FIRST was not really an enemy.

Also - my brothers were sort of working together towards the same aim as me.

Evil: Ravel. Obviously evil witch. But I kind off loved her..a bit.

But then again Ravel was not really an enemy. She helped me a lot because we loved each other and even at the battle in her maze, she only pretended to let me win.

Then one of her incarnations was a healer - so what does that even mean?

Hmmm.

Good: Trias the Angel. But he turns out to be an evil scum and pushes a whole town into Hell. But then in the end I was thinking I could turn him to the light.

So those two look twisted enough. Twisted by the planes.

Neutral?

Other main characters were Pharod, Transcendent Guy, Zombie King (Gandalf).

Master of Bones. Hmm.

Fuji guy was a lawyer scum from Baator which makes him automatically evil. He instinctively hates on Grace.

But then Grace came from evil but turned good.

Fuji was not an enemy.

So if enemy means a fight, like I fought with Trias and Ravel then the other fights were...

Aha. It's Fuji as he was cursed by Trias to answer any questions which makes him like Switzerland.

Oh, but the curse made him be good and helpful. Although he was very surly.

Pharod is an evil guy.
Gandolf was good.
Luthor was quite helpful too. Although his cellar was full of skulls.

I GIVE UP!

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Crap - a quiz?
Ha, not at all. I don't have a clear answer either. I'm willing to bet that if you ask ten people on the Codex that question, you'd get ten different answers.

But, considering that they're supposed to be shades of their respective alignment and twisted by the planes, I think Trias, Fhjull Forked Tongue and Ravel make good candidates. Trias is obviously the shade of good that got twisted, Fhjull the shade of evil forced to do good and Ravel the neutral shade that learned to love. Fhjull didn't get much exposition though, but he strikes me as an underdeveloped part of the game, he could have been much more.

The three incarnations feel like an obvious choice as well, fighting literal aspects of yourself. Foreshadowing throughout the game, all have cast a shadow on your life, and they're all twisted by the planes one way or another. But they don't really feel like enemies to me in the end.

Ignus maybe? If you had him tag along in your party the betrayal in the end feels stronger. Vhailor as well (he's the other one that can slide to TON's side).

TON is a prime candidate himself. Would he be a 'shade of good twisted by the planes'? He was a by product of the first incarnation trying to do good after all.

Dunno man, but this game is full of good stuff.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, my favourite thread is coming to an end?
What a journey this was!
I'm happy to see the conclusion, but also a bit sad to see it end.

Anyway, RESPECT, Lord Azlan.. and thank you for making me feel like I was playing this masterpiece again, after so many years.
:excellent:

Btw. did you pay attention to the number of possible outcomes of the final confrontation? You've chosen the best one, I think. But there are many.
Including the old-fashioned, traditional boss fight. You get to prep your team for that... and... well... provide some very special motivation for 3 of them. That was also a nice touch, I've felt. Well, that and getting to actually use the Rune.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Crap - a quiz?

But, considering that they're supposed to be shades of their respective alignment and twisted by the planes, I think Trias, Fhjull Forked Tongue and Ravel make good candidates. Trias is obviously the shade of good that got twisted, Fhjull the shade of evil forced to do good and Ravel the neutral shade that learned to love. Fhjull didn't get much exposition though, but he strikes me as an underdeveloped part of the game, he could have been much more.

I was thinking for a while that any person from a plane would encompass that alignment.

So therefore Ravel, from the Grey Wastes would be Evil, we are sort of talking about Hades or something.

Fhjull is a fiend is he not? How can he be neutral?

I thought I read somewhere that you become the plane that you are from or in. I need to read all the early stuff again.

But then through your journey you meet all sort of people that are not exactly what you think they will be. It's sort of a key element in the game so why can't any...oh, that's what Trias and Ravel actually do.

There seems to be too many neutral characters in the game, including your companions. Would really have loved to come across some Good people. Must have been some of those in Sigil right?

I will do a little wrap up at some point about the overall game.

No point doing a review as I read a few of these even before I played it. Even some claiming it was just the best game EVER and it seems clear to me our skills with words are not sufficient to describe the game. Maybe English it too limited and some other language might do the trick.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
So, my favourite thread is coming to an end?
What a journey this was!
I'm happy to see the conclusion, but also a bit sad to see it end.

Anyway, RESPECT, Lord Azlan.. and thank you for making me feel like I was playing this masterpiece again, after so many years.
:excellent:

Btw. did you pay attention to the number of possible outcomes of the final confrontation? You've chosen the best one, I think. But there are many.
Including the old-fashioned, traditional boss fight. You get to prep your team for that... and... well... provide some very special motivation for 3 of them. That was also a nice touch, I've felt. Well, that and getting to actually use the Rune.

Thanks for your comments.

I have about 400 saves of the game at the moment and I have been known to reload and try other options.

Obviously 400 is not enough. Will try that fight like you said.

I have some questions that I need to find out myself such as does TNO ever get back to Sigil and where are the damn level 6 spells!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom