Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside 2

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Has the beta started yet?
I signed up for it, but I haven't checked my mail in a while. I never get chosen for any beta anyway.

I'm not really hyped, but I'm interested in this. I never got a chance to play the first Planetside(and I heard some good things about it), as SOE really likes to fuck me over with their piss-poor customer service. Game never wanted to work on my computer, and I never got any help for fixing it. Same with EQ II but that's another story.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
So, no one cares about the innovashuns this game will supposedly bring?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
guy said all stuff you buy is cosmetic IIRC, may easily be wrong but it's what I recall

not like they can't gradually change it to pay 2 win over time like Nexon did with at least one of the games despite having fucking pages dedicated to saying otherwise, anyway

kingcomrade22

Educated
I signed up for Beta. I'm pretty excited about PS2, I played the original a fair amount.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Me too, planetside 1 was good for me. Apart from the random crash that usually happened while doing something interesting.
I really liked jumping on board means of destruction or fortifying and capping outposts.

kingcomrade22 which of the three sides were you playing?

kingcomrade22

Educated
I honestly don't remember. Planetside was so long ago, and I only started playing it when it was in its twilight days. I only played it for a couple months.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember Planetside that well. I just remember having fun playing it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
my thoughts are: you could have used one of the existing threads, wanker.
also, wasn't it supposed to come out already? what happened to that?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
For someone who knows little to nothing about Planetside, what makes this a MMO game? From the videos I've seen it just seems like Battlefield in space.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
original planetside was three sides with persistent world divided into smaller continents/islands connected via large warpgates with several large bases and more small towers per island. good days on werner included 3-way battles on a continent with 100+ players locked in a battle lasting several real life days.
it also was an actual strategical shooter. bases were in a supply chain and had nanite tanks (resources) that got depleted a bit every time somebody spawned a vehicle or other equipment from the terminals in the base. a base that ran out would revert ownership to neutral and iirc have unusable terminals for a while, so you actually needed guys that would spawn resource vehicles (aka ants) and make it their job driving to the nearest (or safest, depending on the look of the front) warp bubble and fill their ant then drive all the way back to the base and fill its tank and so on. this opened all kinds of cool interactions and strategies and tactics that you just don't see in a small-scale shooter without proper resources like battlefield or whathaveyounow.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
For someone who knows little to nothing about Planetside, what makes this a MMO game? From the videos I've seen it just seems like Battlefield in space.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
classes? wtf...
also the larger scale looks like the game will be much less fun under a certain amount of people playing than ps1.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
original planetside was three sides with persistent world divided into smaller continents/islands connected via large warpgates with several large bases and more small towers per island. good days on werner included 3-way battles on a continent with 100+ players locked in a battle lasting several real life days.
it also was an actual strategical shooter. bases were in a supply chain and had nanite tanks (resources) that got depleted a bit every time somebody spawned a vehicle or other equipment from the terminals in the base. a base that ran out would revert ownership to neutral and iirc have unusable terminals for a while, so you actually needed guys that would spawn resource vehicles (aka ants) and make it their job driving to the nearest (or safest, depending on the look of the front) warp bubble and fill their ant then drive all the way back to the base and fill its tank and so on. this opened all kinds of cool interactions and strategies and tactics that you just don't see in a small-scale shooter without proper resources like battlefield or whathaveyounow.

Not to mention the fun to be had to join an Outfit (guilds), make a 4 man team and go capture some undisturbed zones. Depending on how succesful (and quick) you could be the shit storm could move from one zone to another.

And what about the artillery?
You could go to an artillery veichle spawned by somebody who has lincense to it (basiclally ulockables gained on levels and experience is mostly tied to captiure) grab a laser pointer and go deep into enemy territory (possibly with optical suit) pinpoint coordinates to a command truck (portable spawners) and the guy manning the artillery could start lobbing heavy laser/plasma rounds from a very safe distance.

Really a typical day saw you jumping in many different kind of veichles (my favourite is the vertical vector bomber) and go around suppurtiing infantry and such. Or you could just go into an outpost (in view of the walls of the base but small enough so you can hold it for enough time to get a few friends to cover your ass) capture it and maybe upgrade the turrets with anti-air or anti-tank artillery and then mash to a pulp whoever showed up.
As an engeneer you could repair veichles, upgrade turrets, place traps and autoaiming turrets, optycal camo revealers, teleports and anti-veichles fortifications (they damage overtime)

Good fun.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
the maps are geared towards 500 v 500 v 500 iirc.
maps? you mean the continents? the number of players on a continent has no relation to how many players you need to contribute meaningfully.
the scale of the bases, when compared to scale of a bse in ps1, looks like the minimum amount of players will be much higher, and i doubt the game will be able to attract and retain many more players than ps1 did, which means it prolly won't have the player numbers to be fun after the launch hype.
plus fucking classes, man. i liked making weird combos of certs with hacking or advanced hacking :(

Destroid

Arcane
More players means less individual influence on outcome. Up to a point adding more guys is great (say up to 16v16 or so) but much beyond that and you become an irrelevant ant. I guess this is why I don't like team sports.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom