Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside 2

Joghurt

Augur
I'd like to point out that I started out with slideshow framerates in big battles. Unplayable. I put the graphics settings at their lowest and it doubled framerates. Severely disadvantaged. I tweaked the files myself using a guide and that cut it further in half. Playable, but much less enjoyable. I then specifically cut the draw distance in half through further tweaks and now there's very little lag in the biggest battles. I'm VERY happy.

I'd like to point out that the draw distance even at the lowest setting is way more than you would need to see even as a infiltrator with the long range rifle looking out over a flat open area. So it's no loss.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Yeah I did the draw distance tweak and FPS increased a lot, but I still get shitty fps in very big battles. Can you remember the link to the guide you used to tweak the other options?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
So patch today introduced a bunch of new weapons and horns for two vehicles. The horns cost 650 SC each. That's $6.50 for the ability to honk and not accidentally teamkill someone that jumps in front of your vehicle.

My initial reaction: :what:

Free to play, it's great isn't it?

Long live the new flesh!.

Joghurt

Augur

WOW big thanks just tested this out and I'm now getting 30-40 FPS even at huge zergs in Tech Plants and Biolabs - that is fucking awesome. Before that I was getting 15-20 FPS at Tech Plants and Biolabs. The only thing that seems odd is that I am getting the same 30-40 FPS (well maybe 35-45) in the middle of nowhere which seems weird because before these tweaks the difference between biolab and middle of the desert was huge. Now it's like 5 maybe 10 fps which means that I could probably get more somehow. Anyway big thanks for this.

:love:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
TR just dominated the whole planet on Mallory. Well, for a short moment anyway.
10% off coupon. Hurray.

They really need to spice up victory somehow.

VS on Jeager. NC and TR are almost gated. VS starts leaving for other continents while NC and TR start showing up to take back everything they lost. At the Spec Ops camp not far from the NC warpgate. Bought a sunderer and want to deploy it near the Copper Ravine Station as it's one of the few territories the VS don't control and would be a great place to defend the incoming NC zerg. I can't drive east since the road turns around at a defense tower that would kill me. I can't drive west since I would pass through multiple territories before being on low ground then have to go east by then it would be defended. I go north right off the cliff just for fun. Turns out there's a large flat rock ledge about halfway down. I survive the landing amazingly. There's a lot of space, it's flat, and there's a large rock wall that completely blocks the sunderer from eastern view...the direction of the NC warpgate. Deploy it. Me and a few others spawn as LA and clear out the station. New spawns take infiltrator and keep the area clear from their incredibly high up and open position on the ledge. "This installation now belongs to the VS". Over 15 minutes multiple small groups of infantry and a few vehicles try to take the station and are easily fought back. The NC retake all the territory close to their warpgate north and north-west, but not west since they have to pass through Copper Ravine Station. They become aware of the station being a blockade. They coordinate a whole squad plus multiple Vanguards, Lightnings, Reavers, and Liberators to take the station. VS start spawning vehicles from the station and Scythes show up from the west. It the station itself goes back and forth, but always the Sundy goes unnoticed and from the ledge a "base" forms. Heavies rocketing the tanks, AA MAX's clearing the sky, LA flying down to keep the station under control, and Engies keeping the everything running. 3 DIFFERENT NC LIBERATORS SHOW UP. The end.​

Sometimes I don't just enjoy, but love this game.​

Sincerely,​
The Vault Dweller​

Finally an anti-air buff. The weakness of anti-air weapons on both vehicles and infantry was ridiculously low. It seemed like all you could hope was to deal enough damage to scare them away, but almost never get a kills.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Finally an anti-air buff. The weakness of anti-air weapons on both vehicles and infantry was ridiculously low. It seemed like all you could hope was to deal enough damage to scare them away, but almost never get a kills.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

You are aware we can see your name right above your avatar, mere centimeters away from your message, right? No need to sign off your posts.

Anyway, anyone know if this is playable on dual-core systems yet?

roll-a-die

Magister

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

You are aware we can see your name right above your avatar, mere centimeters away from your message, right? No need to sign off your posts.

Really?

Qwinn

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

No. And I would know cause I play on a dual core system every day.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
2 days later than announced, on Februrar 2nd SOE released Game Update 2 (GU2).

np: Saxon - [Innocence Is No Excuse CD1 #09] Raise Some Hell

Full patch notes can be found here.

Infantry

Spamming "spot" now no longer works. Mashing the awesome button now puts it on cooldown. Additionally, you'll have to be closer to the target to spot at all and almost dead center to get a nameplate. This makes an appropriate camouflage for an area useful, especially in long range fights. SOE also added some contient specific camo pattern to help with that.

The new SMGs can be used by all classes except the MAX. Several infantry weapons where tuned as well. Most interesting is the change to the shotguns, they now have less vertical recoil and lose less accuracy by repeated shooting. Their damage falloff has been boosted to a whopping 20m as well, up from the previous 5-15m. Underbarrel grenade launchers now need a minimum range of 10 meters they must travel before aiming, and their AoE has been tweaked to be more centered. This turns the UGL into more of a mid to long range pinpoint weapon. Sticky and frag nades got their AoE chopped too.

The NC Jackhammer finally got some long deserved love. It received the same treatment as the other shotguns, plus damage falloff at 30m, reduced spread, increased projectile speed and enhanced accuracy and movement speed while sighted. That moves the Jackhammer into the exclusive medium ranged shotgun department.

Also in the patch is a short invulnerability on spawn and autorun (defaults to '=').

Vehicles

MBTs got tweaked in an attempt to better define their roles. The Magrider's ability to hill climb was toned down - or rather is working as intended now, as a bug related to thrust vectoring has been fixed. Magriders now cap at 25 kph when strafing. The Saron HRB now has slower projectile speed.

The Vanguard got patched into more of a tank-destroyer. Side and top armor where buffed to absorb one more hit and the increased projectile speed for both the HEAT and AP cannons aswell as the secondaries allow Vanguards to repay in full what they take. The Prowler had their HEAT and AP damage buffed aswell as a projectile speed buff when in Anchored Mode. The G30 Vulcan was tweaked towards higher minimum and lower maximum range. It retains the lowest close-range TTK by a large margin.

The M20 and M40 series got buffed as well and the CAS30 Tank Buster got nerfed.

Also!

Alpha Squad boost now is a 50% increase to resources and XP and actually worth using over the normal boosts.

Lots and lots of XP tweaks made it into the patch. XP is now accumulated dynamically. Kill XP is tiered to discourage spawn camping. The bigger vehicles are worth more XP. G2A weapons now receive XP on damage.

The defensive capabilities of bases have been boosted across the board. SPawn rooms are now more defensible, the tower layout has been adjusted to that end as well. Tech Plants and Amp Stations have tunnels and faction exclusive jump pads. Some additional cover was installed above the landing platforms of Biolabs. Warp gate ownership was rotated on all three continents.

Obviously there is a host of UI updates (real time map, for example), bug fixes and small tweaks so get into the game and check it out!

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, great news if it doesn't crash now, it was annoying getting a CTD every 20 min. Thanks for the info!

Joghurt

Augur
Kinda loving this game. I'm in the Rock Paper Shotgun VS outfit (Rock Paper Sythe) on Miller. The outfit isn't to small and isn't too big like Digg outfit which is unorganized mess. We manage to have proper platoon and squad leader who can get stuff done and even communicate with other outfits if we need help.

Anyway that being said I had the most fun on this Saturday. Basically VS have owned Indar for at least a month so TR and NC formed an alliance and tried to take us down. Needless to say they failed horribly. The fighting was going on for hours and we had like one base left near our warpgate. We were constantly bombarded with galaxy drops and they were coming in succession - TR wave, NC wave, TR wave, NC wave and so on. There must have been like VS 200 troops defending that place. At one point things calmed down for a few minutes so we decided to take a Galaxy and quickly managed to grab a few territories including the now famous Scarred Mesa Skydock. This was the place where we would make our stand. After a while we lost all our remaining territories and only Scarred Mesa Skydock remained. This was the greatest defense battle I have ever seen. I think almost half of VS continent population was defending this base. The rendering distance must have been 5 m since players were popping in and out of existence all the time but it still was one of the most awesome battles. Waves after waves of Galaxy drops were coming in since it's the only way to reach the base. Well there is one jump pad but it was well defended. Anyway the battle must have lasted hours until NC betrayed the TR and started taking their territory and we were finally safe from the continent lock. Anyway here is some footage from the battle.

2013020900010.jpg

2013020900011.jpg

2013020900017.jpg

8461153170_a3119cda6f_h.jpg

DakaSha

Arcane
So i gave this a try and was really enjoying it until i realized the fuckign servers are all empty

Thane Solus

Arcane
because the retards, broke the design from start, a game where the territory changes every few minutes, and no real rewards for conquering are received, its a pop a mole shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom