Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Urash gasps audibly and mutters "By Ishtar, what is that?!"

He then relays to the others his sighting: a huge, green mass breaking through the cloud coverage. Something that seems like a tree, but the size of a mountain.

"I am a total stranger to the ways and the land here. Do any of you who are more familiar know what this could be? It seemed to be perhaps as far as twenty leagues away, yet... a tree of that size, can it really be true?! And could it be related in any way to our search for Oona?"

Could a World Lore check help Urash figure out what that is?
"Bah, tis but a tree. Unless it's seen where our quarry has gone and can tell us, it's of little use to me or you."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Perhaps some World Tree of lore? One of those that we are told tales of in youth?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
I goofed on the post above, it's 20 to 30 miles away, not 40-60. Although Urash is certainly entitled to an Idea roll to pin down the distance.

Common Knowledge:
All of the Picts and Kelts in the group know at least a little of the "Tree of Life" (Crann Bethadh) myth, particularly Ker, Cormac, Mab and Marcán being part of the religious hierarchy. Other characters wouldn't necessarily know anything about it, unless they make a World Lore roll.

In any case without a roll here is what the Kelts and Picts know: Crann Bethadh lies within Otherworld and its roots are said to permeate the whole earth. Those few people who claim to have seen the tree usually claim to have done so in a dream, and the only people who have ever physically seen the tree are heroes in legends and myths.

Everybody roll them dice; let me know if you get a 'special success' or better.

Last edited:
"If they took Oona there, are we equipped to make that journey? Then are we going to be able to deal with what we find there? A tree lIke that is sure to atract some powefull beings."

L'ennui

Magister
"There is but one way to answer those questions, friend. Besides, have we another course of action laid before us? Do any of you have a more pressing intuition of our next move? I believe we should head toward the tree if we know no better. Better forge on than turn tail empty-handed."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"I'm with the mage on this one. We had no clue what was in that portal, but here's there's some sense, some context to going there that isn't just waltzing straight into danger. At this point it's either the tree or back to the village. Besides, " he claps his cousin's shoulder, "we are Kelts! We can feed off the land if need be."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The western woods on the edge of Getae, called the Coedwyg Cyfnos, or "Bleakwood" in colloquial parlance, is a great mystery, but you grew up with stories and myths about the place. It's said that the boundary between Otherworld and the terrestrial world is "thinner" under it's vine-choked boughs. If this is indeed the fabled Crann Bethadh it might give credence to those fireside stories.

However, you remember a Drune who spoke of saplings of Crann Bethadh that were planted in a forgotten age throughout the forests by the gods themselves. Perhaps that's all this is?

Wayward Son

Mab relays the story of the saplings from the World Tree.
" 'Tis likely that this one of the saplings, if the story was more than just a story"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The troupe takes Urash at his word and once again descend the steep-sided mountain in order to reclaim their horses. The hike down goes without incident and you get back to your makeshift campsite along the bank of the stream. Your highland ponies shake their shaggy fur and crop verge, barely sparing you a glance. It is now probably about midday. The rain has slackened a little bit, but the heavy clouds still scud low overhead and you are all feeling a bit exposed out on the desolate moorland.

You look north up the long U-shaped valley that sits between two rugged mountain ranges and wonder how best to proceed. You recall from the day before that perhaps another sixty miles on, another impressive mountain range lays that way, colorfully called "Bheur's Teets" by the Picts; it's said to stretch across the northern horizon as far as one can see and looks to be a formidable obstacle without guide and proper equipment. Conversely, the land to the south flattens out and the small range of mountains connected to Mynydd Torri diminishes to a series of rolling hills flanked by dense woods. According to Brule the village where his sister lives, lays somewhere that way about a day or two.

01tzqCy.png

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
"So... South, then, yes? We can go this village..." Urash points to Dinas Dardanii on the map. "... and swing back North. Seems like the easiest route, though not the most direct."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"We're not goats, to go traipsing over the mountains. So without knowledge of a pass, going around seems best."

Wayward Son

"I prefer fields and hillocks to the sheer cliffs. I agree with the notion that we should go through the hills, even if it puts us days out of our way"

"I wouldn't mind going to the village. I'm sure a soft bed is waiting for me there. Or a hard table at a dirty inn, but at least it has a roof."

nikolokolus

Arcane
With no strenuous objections from anyone, the troupe mounts their horses and turns to the south following the narrow, frigid stream. After a couple of hours the ground flattens out and becomes increasingly marshy, and the stream broadens and turns into a meandering river. Finding your way through the morass gets increasingly difficult with each mile.

(Everyone please make a navigation roll as well as an Idea roll and a Sense roll).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom