Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

"I hope they aren't secretly cannibals."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab reaches his hand out to shake hands, "Nice to meet friendly people out here. We've had some hard roads and lost some friends. Not to mention how the ground has been killing my back." He adds with a grin.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Well met. We have news of Lady Verica's family that she and her husband will no doubt wish to hear."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Gerbus' brow furrows a bit as he strains to pick up Rhenmyr's Pictish through his accent, and when Mab confirms Rhenmyr's words he seems genuinely impressed. He replies to Mab and seems to regard him as the leader of the group. "Well, come along. You say you bring word of Queen Verica's family . . . you must have come from Crannógmere the long way 'round, no?" He shrugs, "No matter, I'm sure she'll be happy to hear it. We've had scant word from our kinsmen on the Loch for several months, but I 'eard from one of their hunters, Uvan that there was a plague upon the town. By Cailleach, I hope the pestilence has passed?"

As you walk to the village (and continue to talk) you see several men mounted on stocky ponies emerge from the nearby hillfort and begin closing ground.

Cormac raises his brow. "Uhh, Uvan? How long ago was it that he passed through? Did he happen to have a slave named Rashid with him?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Uvan? Oh, I guess it was about a week ago . . . Don't remember any slave though." Gerbus shrugs his shoulders and waves at the men riding hard toward you. "Maybe ask with Kinoccos, he's the best hunter and trapper in the village and I think he went on a few cattle raids with Uvan when they were younger?"

The three mounted men rein in their horses and hold their lances, tip skyward. The man in the lead is a rough looking fellow with a bristly black beard and wild unkempt black hair blossoming from beneath his conical bronze helm. Gerbus hails him, "Well met Hulticannos. We have visitors. They know Brule and Fidach and say they have a message for Queen Verica." The man identified as Hulticannos leans forward in his saddle and seems to be sizing up Urash, Borric and Rhenmyr warily, but settles on Mab. "Visitors or vagabonds? Deagal's brother Bryn says he saw folk came out of the west near The Godsbrigg. If you bring a message from Brule and Fidach, then why don't you come from Lurien's Ford in the east?

Wayward Son

"We are most definitely not vagabonds. We came this way because Lady Verica was not our only destination, or our primary one at that. However, our message will be important for the Lady to hear. I sincerely hope you will let us through peaceably." Then, as a show of goodwill, Mab holds his spear perpendicular to his arm and drops it to the ground.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The man called Hulticannos seems genuinely taken aback at Mab's gesture and chuckles a bit, "Pick up your weapon lad, I didn't mean any insult, it's just unusual to see such a . . . uhhh . . . varied collection of folk travelling the wilds unless they're outlaws, outcasts or brigands. Begging your pardon, the whole village has been a little on edge the past month or so what with the waylayers and ambushers along the river road. Cattle missing too."

"Let no one say that the hearths of Dinas Dardanii are cold, or that we are stingy with our obligations of hospitality. Come along."

With that, the three mounted men turn their horses around and begin trotting back to the hillfort. Gerbus waves goodbye to you and jogs back to his father's fishing boat. The mile between you and the hillfort passes quickly and you ascend the gentle slopes of the fortified village and pass through an open gate set into high, timber, double palisade, walls. By now several dozen people have emerged from their thatched huts and look on at you with a variety of reactions: confusion, curiosity and excitement -- children playfully skip along beside you, young girls point and giggle, and half-a-dozen or so rough looking men stare implacably.

Eventually you come to a two-storey longhouse in the center of the village and Hulticannos dismounts, pulls open a pair of thick, oaken, double-doors and gestures you inside. You pass through and see a spacious, dimly lit hall with a low-burning fire crackling and smoking in a central pit. Beyond the pit is a man seated in a high backed wooden chair with long red braids and drooping moustaches who leans forward and rests an elbow on one knee. To his right is a tall blonde haired woman shot through with gray, with her arms folded under her breasts that levels a direct and unflinching gaze on the lot of you. The red-haired man leans over and whispers something inaudible to the woman, before he calls out to you in a sharp, clear baritone, "Come forward neighbors and identify yourselves. I am King Segovax of the Dardanii. Welcome to my hall."

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán steps forward and bows. "I am the Marcán Macc Fionnghal, sir. I am a Bard by trade, and I hail from a Keltic village far away from here."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Segovax listens to your introductions and his eyebrows progressively get higher and higher, finally he starts to chuckle a bit, "What a strange company you keep Drune. So tell me, why do you seek my hospitality?"

Wayward Son

"My lord Segovax, we come from Crannogmère on a task from Brule. His family member Oona has been kidnapped and we are to search for her. We are battered and bruised and weary from our travels. We simply need a place to lay our heads and eat a warm meal."

Wayward Son

We still have his body with us, no? Perhaps we should ask for help in his funeral pyre?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr chimes in, "We also need assistance giving a fallen comrade a proper send off."

nikolokolus

Arcane
At the mention of Una, Segovax's eyes go wide, but before he can speak, the stern looking, middle-aged woman, barks at you, "Una?! Kidnapped?! What's become of my niece? Who took her? . . . Well don't just stand there with your mouths hanging open and your tongues lolling about, spit it out!" Segovax, lifts his hand and gently touches her on the arm, "Verica! Let our guests speak. If they are here on behalf of Brule and Fidach then they are friends." He slowly rises from his seat and adjusts the waist of his kilt around his lean, stocky frame. "You say my queen's niece is kidnapped. Does her kidnapper's trail lead here?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom