Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab also takes cover behind a small outcropping in some scrub; his earth-brown tunic and dirty, green cloak make him very hard to see.

You wait for several minutes as a dozen men trudge up the switch-backed road to the gate-keep. As you each lay quietly in cover, you can begin to hear snippets of conversation as they round the last bend and huff and puff their way to the gate another 100 yards up the trail.

Man One: "What the hell's happened up here I wonder?"
Man Two: "Who gives a damn, I hope that chiseling, pox-ridden, whore-son Harridwn finally set his still on fire and took himself with it."
Man Three: (apparent leader): "Shut up you two. You saw Pigrag circiling overhead on that blasted beast of his. There must have been something beyond a still fire to get him in the air."
Man Four: "Who cares? He's dead; that's good enough for me."
Man Three: "I know we all hated the fucker, but the Madame wants to know what's happened and that's what we're gonna find out. C'mon"

The troupe passes by you unaware of your presence and enters the gatehouse wherein the smoke continues to belch, and roil across the sky, dropping ash and cinders on your heads.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric holds his hand up in a halting gesture, waiting for the other group to move farther out of sight and sound.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I completely forgot about "Ogre." Did you leave him back at the gatehouse L'ennui? I guess it's a little bit of a retcon, but I assumed he was hiding with you all. The ogre with it's grey-purple-ish hide and earth-colored tunic is surprisingly well camoflauged and managed to hide successfully (as did the the land whale Solon)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Carefully, you each come out of your hiding place and start your way down the path.

After about ten minutes of fast-walking, you round the last switchback and come down to a flat along the slowly moving river. In an eddy, about 100 meters ahead of you, you see the corpse of the wyvern partially beached in the shallows, and the corpse of Pigrag is hung up on some rocks just beyond it.

The town of Dreg is about a 1/4 mile away from this flat, and you can just make out its dingy, ramshackle wooden buildings built on piers that jut out into the river. The overwhelming odor of pig shit also wafts on the breeze, and you can make out the unmistakable cacophony of squealing pigs even from this distance.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Pigrag's body yields an interesting find. He is missing one boot and his tunic is ripped and torn. Under the tunic you see the glint of white metal links. Pulling the tunic away reveals a byrnie of remarkable lightness. Pulling it off of his corpse and holding it up in the air, it feels no heavier than a stout woolen coat
(SIZ 16 Mail, 1D8 (1D8+1 with helm), Burden: Light Fits: +/- 2, no armor penalties to Physical or Manipulation skills (plus Agility roll), -25% to Perception skills with helmet on, can be worn under clothing if so desired).

Also tied around his belt is a purse full of coins. When you open it up and dump it into your hands it counts out to 66 bronzes, 38 silvers, and three are three polished, oval aquamarine gemstones mixed in, that all look identical in size and cut (someone can make an Evaluate roll, or Craft (gemcutting) to appraise their worth).

Lastly, his belt pouch reveals it is a "jack box;" a padded pouch, divided into 6 compartments. Three of the compartments hold a small phial, stoppered with cork and sealed with wax. Pulling out the phials and holding them up to the light reveals a viscous, bright amber fluid of uncertain purpose (A half-skill Potions roll can evaluate them, or you can unstopper one and analyze its contents with full skill -- or you can say, "fuck it" and taste it).

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Mab takes a stab at identifying the contents, opeing one cork and sniffing the effervescent vapors and tilts the phials back and forth and holds them up to the light, watching them fizz faintly
Mab tries to identify the contents of the phials (26%) roll [1d100] = 26% SUCCESS!
Well I'll be damned! The RNG gremlins must be on strike
"These are a curative of some kind. I'd swear these were decocted from Golden Moss; it grows in the foothills of the mountains where I grew up."
Each phial contains a single dose, drinking it automatically restores 1d6 HP, and doubles your healing rate for the week (4D3 HPs gained, instead of 2D3 at the end of the interval)

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
The armor looks like it could fit Borric, Mab, or Rhenmyr without taking it in.
My rule on wearing oversized stuff is that just about anybody smaller can wear it . . . within reason, but the skill penalty for physical, manipulation skills, and the Agility roll would be doubled. In this case double of zero is still zero, so anybody can wear it; assume you bind it with a belt, laces, straps, whatever.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Curative sounds promising, but does it work on disease? If not, we still need an apothecary. The armor looks like it would fit me, but I already have some."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I could well use a lighter coat of armor. But if anyone of you have better need of it, it's yours."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
"I could well use a lighter coat of armor. But if anyone of you have better need of it, it's yours."
Since Mab is NPCed right now, it's yours. And I'd say you probably earned it after the punishment he laid down on Borric.
Ok, then let Mab have the linothorax I got if it will benefit him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom