Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

L'ennui

Magister
Not wishing to make a fuss about the "assistant", Urash rejoins Borric and takes a seat at the brewery. When the brewmaster asks him how he'd like to feel, he simply says: "I'd like to feel like I'm not dying."

Shortly thereafter, when Rhenmyr returns, the Acadian explains that he has already taken the cure but that: "It doesn't seem to have made things better so far... quite the contrary, actually. I'm afraid I have little choice but to take that ferry of yours to find a fellow Hulgi Scymes, on that island. He may have a cure."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric meanwhile resolves to find out more about the redhead that the dwarf mentioned. He asks his friends at the table, "Yonder dwarf tells me that The Lady has caught herself a new redhead for her brothel. Could be the one we've been looking for, or one of her kin?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Hmm. I desire solutions to my troubles and those of others. Forgetting about them would be less than helpful. Thank you ladies! I will consult my comrades. I may have more passengers for you shortly."
Rhenmyr returns to the group, describes the ferry, and relays the ferrywomen's description of the isle.
"The place sounds downright pleasant and the welcoming crew is very easy on the eyes. So obviously, something terrible awaits there. Urash, what have you decided on in search of a cure? The vivamancer or the apothecary's brew?"
Rhenmyr pauses in thought. "Perhaps we can find someone skilled in magical locks in this benighted land. I would like to know what that vile hyperborean has hidden away."

Any chance of help opening box we got from the Hyperborean assassin way back at the start of our adventure?
Besides the time, What does the smith want to make armor out of it? The eelskin armor is not so much better than what I've got to justify the cost.
You ask around the market and the dwarven Smith, sniffs derisively and scoffs at the quality of the rune inscribed on it and says he can remove it for a nominal fee, let him keep the mohogany box. It takes him an hour or so to engrave a counterspelling rune adjacent to the trapped rune and both vanish. The box lid flips open easily to reveal a vial of white powder and a small book, the book is written in Hyperborean (anyone with that language can make a language roll to decipher it. If you have Illyian it is a half skill roll).
The hide would make a soft or hard leather with +2 to the armor roll. The Griffin feathers, he says can be used in the creation of a cloak that gives the wearer the ability to fly for short distances, but that it's going to take his haberdasher friend a very long time to stitch it before he can embed the correct dweomer on it -- several weeks at least.

L'ennui

Magister
Leaning in closer to look at the book, Urash tries to decipher its rough topic or content.

[1d100] = 15 vs my puny Hyperborean skill. Yay!

EDIT: Should have specified that my flaky Hyperborean skill is rated at 29.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
The brewer looks at the wan, flush-faced people with Blood Fever and wrinkles his brow in thought. He indicates that if you found no relief with the apothecary, and you circumstances are truly dire, that you could take your chances with the Goblin Market on the other side of the river. He has no idea if you'll find exactly what you need, but his cousin has a stall there (another brewer) and has access to certain fungi that don't grow over here. His warning is that it can be difficult to find the market if you don't have "The Sight" (as he calls it). For a nominal fee of a gold coin he offers to guide you all there when he shutters his stall at Gloaming. He gives Urash a fizzy amber drink that immediately fills him with a sense of euphoria, but makes your limbs feel heavy and disconnected (+20% to Stamina roll and perception skills, but -10% to Agility rolls and manipulation skills for an hour)

Meanwhile . . . Urash and Amon huddle over the small 1-inch thick book. It seems to be a ledger with dates and names, occasionally with notes about money being paid or owed. The names of Father Inniros (The Mitaic Prelate of Odessos) and the Exarch (the Hyperborean governor of Odessos, and distant cousin of the emperor) feature prominently, either as owing money, receiving deliveries, etc. The best guess you have regarding the ledger, is that Dunamir was acting as some kind of go-between on behalf of some third party and the Exarch, Father Inniros, and several optimates (aristocrats) in the city.

The rune engraved on the box was meant to explode in a ball of fire, likely meant to incinerate the contents and/or anyone tampering with it.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"It seems Father Inniros was involved in something shady. Disturbing. Any ideas about the powder? It must be of some import.
I think we should check out this goblin market, but news of a redhead on the isle needs to be investigated as well. Are any of you in possession of this sight, or should we take up the brewer's offer?"

His options on new armor are a bit underwhelming. Could he improve my spear or current armor for the cost of the pelt? Is he interested in the ornate linothorax?

edit

Rhenmyr patches up his crossbow wound while talking.
Physik(62): [1d100] = 14
Healing: [2d3] = 3

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
"It seems Father Inniros was involved in something shady. Disturbing. Any ideas about the powder? It must be of some import.
I think we should check out this goblin market, but news of a redhead on the isle needs to be investigated as well. Are any of you in possession of this sight, or should we take up the brewer's offer?"

His options on new armor are a bit underwhelming. Could he improve my spear or current armor for the cost of the pelt? Is he interested in the ornate linothorax?

edit

Rhenmyr patches up his crossbow wound while talking.
Physik(62): [1d100] = 14
Healing: [2d3] = 3
For 10 sp he is willing to cast a number of 1-use enhancement runes on your weapons or armor (only one rune per item). These runes will persist for a year or more until activated. If you wish the rune to be permanent it will cost you 1 gold coin and a blood sacrifice (i.e sacrifice a permanent point of your own POW + any additional POW requirements in the rune description, to bind the rune to your item. The rune will only function for the person it is bound to).

He's willing to trade a non-permanent enchantment for the linothorax, which he sees as a curiosity, more than a valuable item (cloth armor!? Pssshah!)

Refer to the Rune Magic chapter in Advanced Sorcery or the Compiled Spell list PDF for details. If you need the link to either PDF check the obsidian portal page, or I'll share the link once I get home in a few hours.
  • Rune of fire
  • Rune of ice
  • Rune of Redaction
  • Rune of Breath of Life
  • Rune of Sorcerer's Armor
  • Rune of Sorcerer's Leap
  • Rune of Sorcerer's Hammer
  • Rune of Sorcerer's Razor
  • Rune of Sorcerer's Sharp Flame
Notes:
  • the armor, razor, hammer, and sharp flame runes cannot exceed the maximum dice roll, so a sword that does 1D8 damage would do 1D8+4, but any points in excess of 8 are lost.
  • The duration of any rune is 20 rounds. If you elect to create a permanent rune it is powered with your own magic points, and you can access the effect as long as you have enough in reserve.
Hit me up with a PM if you want something and I'll work out the particulars.
I'm still waiting on experience rolls for a few of you, if you're one of these people you know who you are. Send that in a PM when you have time and update your character sheet. I'll handle Mab. If you need help or don't remember what to do let me know.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm currently involved in propitiations to various random number gods after the last fight. Will roll for experience after.

L'ennui

Magister

"If he meant the witch's Sight, I should be able to manage. We should investigate this."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Siveon and ERYFKRAD if you don't have time, let me know and I'll roll for and update your sheet when I have time tonight.

If you want to purchase something from either and haven't let me know yet please do so sooner rather than later

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Siveon and ERYFKRAD if you don't have time, let me know and I'll roll for and update your sheet when I have time tonight.

If you want to purchase something from either and haven't let me know yet please do so sooner rather than later
Please roll for me, I've been trying but my ISP's screwy and just not registering the rolls.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Before you go trapsing off into the woods with the dwarf in search of a cure, I forgot that Solon knows Healing Trance, it's going to knock you out for 1D8 days, but as long he's not interrupted, you'll be cured of your disease. It heals 1 HP per day, and cures poison or disease (restoring 1 lost point of CON per day) You cannot be woken from the trance while the spell is in effect. Not by injury, not by cold water in your face, nothing short of Undo Sorcery. You will be completely helpless.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can you make the rolls for me? Also can you email me the sheet, I don't think I've been keeping up as well.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Can you make the rolls for me? Also can you email me the sheet, I don't think I've been keeping up as well.
Roger Wilco. As long as you have Google Drive connected to your PC it should automatically be downloaded and synced, but if you don't have it, I'll share it with you again via Drive. If you haven't been checking off skills, all I have to go off of is this: http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=searchresults&pc=2263 (unfortunately Unseenservant only keeps a log for a few months, so there might be some missing skills that were successes.)
By my count you get a check against DEX, Dodge, Fast Talk, World Lore, and swords. (EDIT: forgot Hide)

Update: Marcán's experience rolls Dodge(85) [1d100] = 61%, Fast Talk(85) [1d100] = 78%, World Lore(70) [1d100] = 58%, Swords(84) [1d100] = 53%
Marcán's Dex improvement roll (21) [1d100] = 76%

Marcán's experience roll: Hide (25) roll [1d100] = 68%
Dodge Improves by 5. Pick one other skill to automatically raise by 1D8.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
I was better at updating in the beginning, so I think that list is fine for the document I have.

EDIT: Disregard the disguise check, I was confusing it with my hide roll.
upload_2018-5-11_15-43-26.png

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I was better at updating in the beginning, so I think that list is fine for the document I have.

EDIT: Disregard the disguise check, I was confusing it with my hide roll.
View attachment 8872
OK, so I need to roll for Physik and Insight. Also tell me which occupation skill you want to raise automatically by 1d8

nikolokolus

Arcane
The merchants start to close up their stalls and the boardwalks begin to fill up with people (such as they are) beginning their early revelry. The smith shutters the doors to his smithy, and taps a rune that glows purple, then fades out of sight. He motions whomever is willing to accompany him to follow, as he walks toward the southern gate. Quickly, you exit past a pair of hulking, purple-skinned guards with prognathous jaws, and large ivory tusks curling over their upper lips. They barely register your presence as you pass between them.

In the gathering gloom, the dwarf (who insists you call him Fanrin) waddles quickly down the deeply rutted, muddy road that follows a perched bank between the river and the steep sided gorge. After about a half-mile of walking, the roar of a falls begins to fill your ears. Fanrin looks furtively around, paying careful attention in the direction of Dreg; seemingly satisfied he grunts to himself and takes out a pouch and pulls out a pinch of sand from inside and throws it in the air. As the fine sand disperses in the air, you watch it settle and blink in surprise as it settles on a thick hedgerow of thorny brambles. Suddenly the brambles pull back on themselves as if they were an insect recoiling from an open flame. Beyond, you see a well-worn path leading down to a set of stone-stairs carved from the living rock of the cliffs overlooking the rushing river.

Fanrin motions you to enter, after you do, he takes another pinch of dust and throws it in the air behind you and the brambles quickly grow together. he pushes past you and nimbly descends the stairs down to the river's edge. Cleverly, tucked into a declivity, that is almost invisible until you are right on top of it, is a narrow passage that descends into a drafty tunnel cut into the cliff. Fanrin leads you inside and you find a steep spiral staircase that drops hundreds of feet into the ground. He sparks up a torch and leads you down into the depths. Eventually the staircase ends in a bell-shaped cavern with tunnels radiating out in a dozen directions like spokes of a wheel. Confidently he turns to the left and picks a dark passage. After 10 minutes or so of walking in a very damp tunnel, you come to the end and a small chamber, where a long, steep staircase ascends. Climbing hundreds of steps leads you to a smooth rock face. Fanrin taps on the three spots and three runes spring to life and fade. As the last rune dims, the rock face rolls away to the right. When you step through, the ground is rimed with frost and hundreds of fireflies flit around illuminating a hazy, dim woods all around you. Fanrin smiles and walks along a path only he can see. After ten more minutes the sounds of flutes, pipes, and drums can be heard drifting through the tightly packed trees.

At last, you walk around the bole of a very large oak and the source of the music reveals itself: In a small clearing, garishly striped tents, and a small horde of diminutive folk are milling around, inspecting a variety of goods and things that defy easy description: Strange animals in gilded cages yowl and screech, hawkers shout out their prices, and auctioneers can be heard rapid-fire calling out bids, for bolts of cloth, jars of swirling colors, and other strange and nameless things that seem to call out to you. Mixed into the crowd are tall folk that look very much like Hyperboreans, and hulking brutes of gigantic proportion.

Fanrin smiles and says, "Grand ain't it?"

Siveon

Bot
We're all present for this, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom