Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing for result or enjoying the process

Do you play a game for result (beat the game) or to enjoy the process?

• To beat the game

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • To get some fun out of the game (without fifnishing it) and get to another

Votes: 29 69.0%

• Total voters

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So I want to collect some info about gamers.

Do you usually play for result, I mean beat the entire game, kill the final boss, watch the final movie, complete the storyline etc?

Or you can just play to enjoy the gameplay mechanics for some time (and proceed to another game) and don't care about actually finishing the game?

For example: I always aim to beat the game and that's why I don't play early access games, because they don't provide the whole storyline and I don't want to play them just to get used to|get fun of the gameplay mechanics.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on the game. I finish most games that have interesting stories even if the gameplay is not very interesting. If I play a scenario in some strategy game where I become all powerful and have no chance of losing I quit since there is no more challenge present.

When I think about it the challenge is the most important part of enjoyment, overcoming the obstacles and sense of accomplishment is what games are all about, too bad so many devs forgot about it. In a nutshell if a game fails to provide challenge or a good story I pretty much loose the will to finish it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Usually a mix of both. I prefer having some set goals to follow but I also like sandboxy procedual gameplay without fixed goals in strategy games (games like Total War and Civ) where I enjoy the process and usually don't finish a game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I only finish games that I think are worthwhile. If the gameplay stagnates, challenge is absent and the story is meh, I'll likely jump to another one.

DraQ

Arcane
I generally don't martyr myself to a shitty game just because want to see the credits roll.

I play what I enjoy, because I enjoy it.
Of course this becomes a bit complicated with games that have most of their value located in narrative elements, because you necessarily enjoy them by pushing this narrative forward.

Xeon

Augur
I think I mostly play the game to beat it but I have no problem with dropping the game if I am not having fun or if it felt like a chore.

If the game has a lot of cut scenes and probably only good for the story or something I normally just watch a no commentary LP of it or a compiled cut scenes[?] and treat it kinda similar to a movie or something.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I used to play the game until I got frustrated/bored and move on to another. However, this resulted in a lot of unfinished games, so now I try to finish by focusing on a game at a time (but only if it's genuinely enjoyable).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finish the short ones(below 15-20 hours) for the most part, but pointless derping around for collectibles or achievements is something that I avoid and hate. Id say after shitty freemium paywall games the collectibles/achievement hysteria is the second worst thing that happened to gaming and puts me off playing the game altogether.

flushfire

Augur
If I'm still playing after trying a game for some 30 minutes or so, I'm probably going to finish it. Sometimes for the sake of just finishing it, the result of having brothers who also play games when we were kids. Used to challenge each other who'd be able to finish a difficult game first on the NES/Genesis. Still, I do drop a game when I get really really bored with it so there are some games I remember not having finished like Lionheart, Spellforce 2, I of the Dragon, Warcraft 3 etc. In the case of Warcraft 3 custom maps were simply a lot more fun than the campaign. Some games I also drop out of frustration, I remember Alundra for the PS being one, swore to get back to it back then but I lost the CD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll definitely power through the end of a game I'm bored of playing if I am near the end, just to get it out of the way forever and feel that bit of accomplishment. If I'm more like halfway through then I'll abandon it, fuck it.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I try finishing games that I start. Unfortunately it often stays with the attempt but I am improving. Not finishing a cRPG frustrates me somehow.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I try to finish all my games, but if I stumble because of difficulty I give up and pretend on Internet forums I was not much interested in it anyway and the gameplay is very flawed.

Gozma

Arcane
I quit for good on Spelunky, then walked into my bathroom and shattered my mirror with a punch and screamed "I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE"

Destroid

Arcane
Rarely finish singleplayer games, I have no shame about dropping them, no matter the genre. That said, most singleplayer games I play are strategy titles that don't follow any kind of plot.

Kamoho

Savant
I'm definitely shifting more to the playing for results camp now that my steam and gog sales shopping sprees have left me with a pretty extensive backlog. I'm kind of regretting them now.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
I play to maximize my character/party.

The story, music, graphics and everything else are just ambiance and window dressing.

I'm a min-maxing, power-playing, exploit whoring munchkin through and through.

Having said that, if the interface blows or the gameplay isn't compelling I will quit it very quickly. There are just too many good games out there to play (or replay) rather than waste time on crap. That's the philosophy that brought me to the Codex actually. I came here to find the best games, see what I missed, and keep tabs on what's new and worth playing.

I feel no obligation to complete a game. If it becomes boring or tedious, I stop. Games are meant to be entertaining, if I am no longer entertained (addicted), I will usually move on to another game. Some games are so fun, and I grow so attached to my party (Wizardry 8), I will avoid the ending so I can imagine that my party is living on, and that the game never ended. It's a sentimental thing I guess.

Last edited:
Endings tend to be something I stumble upon, if I like a game I don't really want it to end (so I have a problem with games that let you choose when to proceed to the endgame, like open-world ones). I don't optimize characters either, as long as I'm not dying constantly it's good enough (I tend to pimp them out with the best gear/skills available, but I wouldn't call that optimizing)

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Games aren't books. I play until I'm bored, which is usually when new mechanics stop being introduced or challenge levels off.

deuxhero

Arcane
I've dropped more games at the very end than I can count. Last game I tried to 100% was SR2, but I can't find where GotR hid half the CDs and stopped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom