Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Playing Might and Magic VI for the first time

A user named cat

:necro:

I'm playing through this now for first time ever. This game is like crack off the streets of Baltimore, so hard to put down once you're into it. Why couldn't X be more like this? With Grayface patch and mouse look, it's incredible. Such a great, addictingly fun game filled with content and I've only scratched about 40% of the world. So much to explore; dungeons are long, dangerous and interesting, huge armies of enemies yet there's always a way to take them out and there are various builds to play with. Sad that we don't get games like this anymore. What a gem.

Had to resort to some shady methods a few times though, mostly due to the lackluster map system that could really use markers. I also went the route of earth magic with one of my sorcerors not knowing how useless it was beforehand. Had to use a save game editor to dump it in favor of air, fuck restarting. I also resorted to online guides having no idea what order to do some quests in near the beginning and having to locate some of the expert/master teachers otherwise you run around towns clicking every door. My team is beefed up now though and I'm blasting through the Forge currently.

Anyway, awesome game and better than most the shit on the Codex top 20 list.

A user named cat

Ohh, I was assaulted by a thread splitter. I didn't make this topic, how rude and presumptuous. Well here is a time lapse gif from the game. Appreciate the 90's cg.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, the town map system (or lack of one thereof) where you had to memorize where everything was was the only I gripe I had about this game...oh, and that it was absolutely unchallanging and that I killed the end game boss in approximately half a second, practically before her character portrait even had time to pop up on my screen. Just what did she look like anyway? *scratches head* But you can avoid this problem by not finding the Crossbow of God's Allmighty Bollocks or whatever that hideously overpowered thing was called. Other than these issues the game is a blast. Have fun.

m_s0

Arcane
dungeons are long, dangerous and interesting
This is one of the main reasons why I prefer VI to VII, despite the latter introducing quite a few mechanical improvements that I wouldn't mind seeing in VI.

The dungeons in VII feel tiny and rushed, and the area progression seems less about the player having fun exploring, and more about the devs attempting to disguise the fact they had half the time they spent making the previous game to make this one. I still like VII, but VI is the go-to one out of the three for me.

A user named cat

My best party was Cleric, Druid and 2x Sorcerers. What you guys think is best?
I went with paladin, 2x sorcerers and a druid. I agree during the first few areas, melee was the way to go. A good example was cleaning out some snake dungeon Serious Sam style, just running back and rapid firing arrows. No spells needed. Now I'm finding my main paladin to be pretty useless even at hero rank, aside from healing some statuses -- casters are the real damage dealers. Dark magic is a destroyer, sharpmetal in particular. Outdoors, flying above mobs and stardusting/meteor storming them is a thrill.

I fucked up majorly by testing out armageddeon then saving shortly after, not realizing it had wiped out all NPC's in the towns. This of course resulted my angelic reputation being dropped to Prosper levels. So it allowed me to master dark but now I have to build my rep all the way back up again from scratch to master light.

I'm not really far enough though to gauge the difficulty yet. I went into Paradise Valley and fought a couple titans on the way, they were like boss fights themselves. So I guess it depends on what order you tackle areas. I tried my hand at the Warlord Fortress until running into mobs of doom and death knights who were raping me unless I peeled them away one at a time with quicksave scumming. That was no fun though so I'll come back later.

dungeons are long, dangerous and interesting
This is one of the main reasons why I prefer VI to VII, despite the latter introducing quite a few mechanical improvements that I wouldn't mind seeing in VI.

The dungeons in VII feel tiny and rushed, and the area progression seems less about the player having fun exploring, and more about the devs attempting to disguise the fact they had half the time they spent making the previous game to make this one. I still like VII, but VI is the go-to one out of the three for me.
I was actually curious about VII and even VIII as they appear to be very similar. I'm guessing VIII is the worst of the trilogy? By the time I finish this game though, the formula will probably get tired and I'll want to play something entirely different.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I quit VII about 1/3 of the way in when I found myself in a bit of a pickle having fallen into from above a cave or cavern of some sort infested with trolls or some such tough skinned bastards. For once, I had encountered something challenging and perhaps I was psychologically ill-prepared going directly from VI. Had I put a little thought into it I probably could have found my way out easily enough. I really need to try VII again some day since it really is a marked improvement in many areas over VI - especially balance issues . Yes, the dungeons were larger and more fun to explore in VI. Plus, plenty of room to haul ass outta there when too many or too tough at your low level baddies gave chase. That troll cave-pit I fell into felt tiny.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
My party - 1Fighter, 1Cleric and two casters. Once I did full caster party but dropped after gaining ridiculous power.
VIII is still cool game though p.trivial shortly after few levels.
But it shine in one thing - you can solo it. That way you get some challenge at the beginning but reach even more than godlike power at the end, which is hard to imagine since, as mentioned, game is easy.

I heard there are some mods for the game, with Chaos Conspiracy as an example. I played VI two times, every summer. Might try this mod.

It's pity that M&M IX have good dungeons but overall is crap and ugly like a sin. But I still want to get back here. Already got decent party, just need to collect my notes. Where did I put them...

A user named cat

It's pity that M&M IX have good dungeons but overall is crap and ugly like a sin. But I still want to get back here. Already got decent party, just need to collect my notes. Where did I put them...
It's funny how MM 9 looks so hideous compared the prequels. I actually really like the look of VI, everything is sharp and detailed even up close. The realistic character avatars are pretty humorous especially when you're inflicted with insanity and other status ailments. Why didn't more games do this? It's so simple but give them so much more life.

I wish there was more audio instead of relying on just music tracks, otherwise you're exploring in silence aside from footsteps and monster taunts. I'm using the mp3 tweak though which is nice but I wish there was a way to mod in ambient sounds instead of having them mixed into the music tracks. This game could be near perfect if tweaked a bit, at least if you're willing to overlook how you can scale sheer mountain sides like Big Rig Racing or how you can negate fall damage by sliding against the wall as you're falling like a glob of slime.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I quit VII about 1/3 of the way in when I found myself in a bit of a pickle having fallen into from above a cave or cavern of some sort infested with trolls or some such tough skinned bastards. For once, I had encountered something challenging and perhaps I was psychologically ill-prepared going directly from VI. Had I put a little thought into it I probably could have found my way out easily enough. I really need to try VII again some day since it really is a marked improvement in many areas over VI - especially balance issues . Yes, the dungeons were larger and more fun to explore in VI. Plus, plenty of room to haul ass outta there when too many or too tough at your low level baddies gave chase. That troll cave-pit I fell into felt tiny.

I played through M&M 7 twice back in 2004. The first time I picked a 'Good' party and went through all the game except one area - a dungeon that you drop into and are confronted by troll-like creatures called Behemoths - and no matter what I did I couldn't beat them.

Second playthrough was with an evil party and nothing stood in my way.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played through M&M 7 twice back in 2004. The first time I picked a 'Good' party and went through all the game except one area - a dungeon that you drop into and are confronted by troll-like creatures called Behemoths - and no matter what I did I couldn't beat them.

Second playthrough was with an evil party and nothing stood in my way.

Hmmm, that must have been the area I fell into. However, I think I was able to kill one or two of them, just didn't have the patience to kill a number of them to escape that tedious place so I quit.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
One of my favourite things in M&MVI is the reaction the dude with the long hair avatar makes when you identify something: HOYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not one of my favourite things: godamn floating eyes in castle darkmoor casting dispel through the fucking walls.

A user named cat

One of my favourite things in M&MVI is the reaction the dude with the long hair avatar makes when you identify something: HOYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not one of my favourite things: godamn floating eyes in castle darkmoor casting dispel through the fucking walls.
I like how if you leave a shop without buying anything, they always say, "Come again... cheapskate!" and one of your characters always replies, "How rude!" or a similar line. Pretty funny. What's weird though is that the magic item shopkeeps don't have a cheapskate line, yet you still do the "how rude" reply after you leave. Must be a bug Grayface overlooked or something.

Haven't explored Darkmoor Castle yet but I did come across it. So far I've found Harpy Witches to be very annoying since anytime you even come close to them, they curse your entire party. The oozes can be a real bastard too with how they constantly break your equipment but at least repairing is as easy as right clicking an object. More of a hindrance than anything.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I like how if you leave a shop without buying anything, they always say, "Come again... cheapskate!" and one of your characters always replies, "How rude!" or a similar line. Pretty funny. What's weird though is that the magic item shopkeeps don't have a cheapskate line, yet you still do the "how rude" reply after you leave. Must be a bug Grayface overlooked or something.

Haven't explored Darkmoor Castle yet but I did come across it. So far I've found Harpy Witches to be very annoying since anytime you even come close to them, they curse your entire party. The oozes can be a real bastard too with how they constantly break your equipment but at least repairing is as easy as right clicking an object. More of a hindrance than anything.

Yea i never played MMVI without Grayface's mod, it's a must IMO, just for being able to rebind your keys, wsad for movement, q for quick cast e for attack etc. Makes things so much more quicker/less tedious. I never tried to play with the mouse look though, and there are alot of times where you have to look up and down than center the view again, when i play through M&MVII i'll give it a whirl. I noticed that as well with the item shopkeepers not calling you out for non purchases, not sure if it's a bug with grayface. Another great thing with Grayface mod is the fixing of MP3's not playing inside dungeons, i was using winamp to play the MP3 tracks before i found out that grayface fixed it. That'll teach me to look over the 'Read me' patch notes more thoroughly.

Harpy's are annoying with that curse crap at lower lvls, nothing a well placed fireball or meteor storm cant handle. Oozes are a pain at lower lvls as well, another problem that fireball can't solve. I found those pirate hooker archers to be really irritating as well, fire archers i think they were called? Fuck those broads.

"Cya tightwad" I wish more RPG shopkeepers had responses like that.

funkadelik

Arcane
This game is one of my favorites. I have nothing else of value to contribute at this time.

When you start flying and using doom spells on everything. Become evil, become a god!

Electryon

Savant
The Might and Magic series, volumes 1-9 (yes, I'll even include the flawed, incomplete last entry in there) are collectively the best series for pure, straight-up fantasy adventuring that have been made. You can argue whether World of Xeen might be better, but Might and Magic VI has everything. One of the most massive worlds in any RPG, a true step-up in technology at the time, endless dungeons against endless enemies, and a totally open, non-linear world, yet one that will still punish you for going where you shouldn't be yet. You can't get more bang for your buck than snatching up this whole series on GOG for what will amount to about 30 dollars, in exchange for which you'll have about 1000 hrs of content at your disposal.

Diggfinger

Arcane
:necro:

I'm playing through this now for first time ever. This game is like crack off the streets of Baltimore, so hard to put down once you're into it. Why couldn't X be more like this? With Grayface patch and mouse look, it's incredible. Such a great, addictingly fun game filled with content and I've only scratched about 40% of the world. So much to explore; dungeons are long, dangerous and interesting, huge armies of enemies yet there's always a way to take them out and there are various builds to play with. Sad that we don't get games like this anymore. What a gem.

Had to resort to some shady methods a few times though, mostly due to the lackluster map system that could really use markers. I also went the route of earth magic with one of my sorcerors not knowing how useless it was beforehand. Had to use a save game editor to dump it in favor of air, fuck restarting. I also resorted to online guides having no idea what order to do some quests in near the beginning and having to locate some of the expert/master teachers otherwise you run around towns clicking every door. My team is beefed up now though and I'm blasting through the Forge currently.

Anyway, awesome game and better than most the shit on the Codex top 20 list.

Classic for sure. one of my fav games:)

Currently playing with 3 mages + 1 Cleric:positive:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great game, good choice of you to play it :)
Currently playing with 3 mages + 1 Cleric:positive:

Haha yeah that's my favourite party too. At the beginning it's a bit weak but becomes so ridiculously overpowered and unbalanced in lategame you just breeze through it like nothing.
The party isn't as useful in M&M VII anymore unfortunately due to skill restrictions on classes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Might and Magic series, volumes 1-9 (yes, I'll even include the flawed, incomplete last entry in there) are collectively the best series for pure, straight-up fantasy adventuring that have been made. You can argue whether World of Xeen might be better, but Might and Magic VI has everything. One of the most massive worlds in any RPG, a true step-up in technology at the time, endless dungeons against endless enemies, and a totally open, non-linear world, yet one that will still punish you for going where you shouldn't be yet. You can't get more bang for your buck than snatching up this whole series on GOG for what will amount to about 30 dollars, in exchange for which you'll have about 1000 hrs of content at your disposal.

I dunno...I love the M&M series, but I think I'll rate the Gold Box and Wizardry series even higher. MM 3-5 were too much of a disappointment to me with its very simplified combat compared to MM2, and then there's MM9...

A user named cat

So I innocently ventured into Sweet Water and noticed it was almost desolate. Cleared out some small deserted town area by picking off the small mob of devils, no big deal when I can get them one or two at a time. It was dark at this point though - I was out of food, no inns in sight and wanted to explore a little more. Then I casually wandered into that Hive area by accident and suddenly it sounded like a war zone as a million devils were shooting projectiles at me from all directions as I flew through frantically. That area was like strolling into the orc hordes of Mordor, holy shit. I did take a peak inside the Hive itself, now I see finally see the sci-fi element always mentioned. That's pretty cool but I'll have to take this on later.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
[QUOTE="Phantasmal, post: 4513405, member: 8863"
I like how if you leave a shop without buying anything, they always say, "Come again... cheapskate!" and one of your characters always replies, "How rude!" or a similar line. Pretty funny. [/QUOTE]

It's even better, actually - people tend to miss this, but every time you leave a shop in this fashion your reputation score lowers by one. Enrothian people really hate when their time is wasted.

A user named cat

Currently trying to clear out Castle Darkmoor, this has been a nightmare of flying eyes and a million status effects. There are still so many left to kill and dark magic seems to be the only thing that puts a real dent in them. Whoever designed this dungeon is very evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom