Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please ban exmit

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
It's THAT GOOD until chapter 3, when it becomes banal. shit. boring. Fortunately chapter 1 and 2 are awesome and were definitely worth my cash. Last chapters of Gothic/Gothic 2 were shit too, while mid and early stages were awesome.

The Witcher is awesome too, except mediocre prologue/chapter 1 and banal.shit.boring. two last chapters but nearly every RPG has that syndrome of 'FINISH IT FASTER SPAWNING 1000 ENEMIES AND CUTTING OUT EVERYTHING ELSE'. Well, every, except Fallout I think... even PST was mainly fighting or running away from fighting in late part of the game.

Yeah, the late game in Gothics/Risen is poor as by then you've killed most things and it turns into a more linear crawl rather than an exploratory game. Also the fact that you tend to get all the good spells when there's nothing left to kill doesn't help.

Twitcher too, can't fault your take on.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Konjad said:
commie said:
Grunker said:
Der_Unbekannte said:
So I played Risen again. It's the best RPG since 5 years!

*insert massive butthurt here* :x

Risen...apart from TWitcher in the last years, the ONLY RPG I found time to play from start to finish without getting distracted or leaving it for a time: it's THAT GOOD!

It's THAT GOOD until chapter 3, when it becomes banal. shit. boring. Fortunately chapter 1 and 2 are awesome and were definitely worth my cash. Last chapters of Gothic/Gothic 2 were shit too, while mid and early stages were awesome.

The Witcher is awesome too, except mediocre prologue/chapter 1 and banal.shit.boring. two last chapters but nearly every RPG has that syndrome of 'FINISH IT FASTER SPAWNING 1000 ENEMIES AND CUTTING OUT EVERYTHING ELSE'. Well, every, except Fallout I think... even PST was mainly fighting or running away from fighting in late part of the game.

I'm in the endgame (ish) of Gothic 2 - just rounding off the dragon hunt - and while it's definitely not as good as the start, I'm still enjoying it a lot. The changes to the world in every chapter, the addition of the dragon hunters and new quests and so on, have kept it pretty fresh so far. The dragon fights themselves are a bit retarded, though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I'm in the endgame (ish) of Gothic 2 - just rounding off the dragon hunt - and while it's definitely not as good as the start, I'm still enjoying it a lot. The changes to the world in every chapter, the addition of the dragon hunters and new quests and so on, have kept it pretty fresh so far. The dragon fights themselves are a bit retarded, though.

For some reason I couldn't defeat that dragon on the mountain even though all the other dragons; even the end one; were relatively simple. I would just run up and hack the shit out of them after firing a few spells from scrolls. That one though, would slaughter me over and over, get in so many hits while I was just doing the 'stunned' animation. I kind of gimped my character, but even so, the other dragons died simply enough compared to this bastard. Spells did nothing as it regenerated very fast, the other dragons would get raped by spells and then I'd run in for close combat hacks, but with this one it was impossible. Eventually I cheated. Have to replay the game for fun and to restore my honor.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
IIRC I had to rely on the old "stand somewhere where the thing couldn't reach you and pincushion it with crossbow bolts for about 15 minutes until it dies" method.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
commie said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

For some reason I couldn't defeat that dragon on the mountain even though all the other dragons; even the end one; were relatively simple. I would just run up and hack the shit out of them after firing a few spells from scrolls. That one though, would slaughter me over and over, get in so many hits while I was just doing the 'stunned' animation. I kind of gimped my character, but even so, the other dragons died simply enough compared to this bastard. Spells did nothing as it regenerated very fast, the other dragons would get raped by spells and then I'd run in for close combat hacks, but with this one it was impossible. Eventually I cheated. Have to replay the game for fun and to restore my honor.

That was the first one I fought. Summon demon scrolls are a godsend, but for that one, I think I just mashed forwards - which cancelled the stupid stun thing sometimes - and whacked it with the Claw of Beliar. Worked after a couple of reloads.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Grunker said:
Sceptic said:
Grunker said:
It's just the one game that I think sucks so deep, it hurts me every time the Codex with its otherwise fine tastes give it praise.
So you're perfectly fine with all the praise that the 'dex gives to DAO, ME2 and fuck even MW2, but you get butthurt because a handful of people praised Risen? :?

Fuck you, I'm not gonna have that debat AGAIN. I've debated it at length with Roxor, Mikayel and Phelot. If you're really that curious I guess I could find you a link. But yes, in essence I think DA:O and ME2 are LEAGUES better than Risen - and it's not because I find DA:O or ME2 to be shimmering jewels if you get my meaning.

I would be greatly interested in these arguments. So post the link please.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
That was the first one I fought. Summon demon scrolls are a godsend, but for that one, I think I just mashed forwards - which cancelled the stupid stun thing sometimes - and whacked it with the Claw of Beliar. Worked after a couple of reloads.

With me it was about the third dragon I fought. The swamp one was easiest because your buddies distract it while you rape it from behind. Even with the Claw of Beliar I couldn't kill that mountain one. A strange thing though: I had just about killed it the first time I fought it, it seemed as 'weak' as the others but I had a crash to desktop and when I reloaded the save just before the cave all of a sudden that dragon started being super fast, and accurate. I didn't have demon scrolls(thanks for the tip :) ) and my crossbow skill was too crap to do much(it would regenerate almost instantly) and all my efforts to get close resulted in it always getting enough hits on me to stop me long enough to regenerate from any hits.

Crispy said:
IIRC I had to rely on the old "stand somewhere where the thing couldn't reach you and pincushion it with crossbow bolts for about 15 minutes until it dies" method.

I had put my SP all over the place thinking I'd just get enough anyway, and so was a bit too weak in anything except swords so shooting it didn't help.

dr. one

Augur
commie said:
I had put my SP all over the place thinking I'd just get enough anyway, and so was a bit too weak in anything except swords so shooting it didn't help.

i´d say that ch4 dragons are the only time when NotR can really bite jack-of-all-tradesy character in the ass. those mentioned demon scrolls certainly save the day here, you could also clean most of the areas with the companion available at the entrance to the valley.

also, there´s no better (and appropriate) time to use shrink monster scroll than the ice dragon encounter :).

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
okay that final dungeon sucked huge donkey balls

I loved forming a crew, preparing and setting sail, it felt awesome and gave the whole "going adventuring" thing a realistic touch that made it far more down-to-earth and exciting than any epic fanfares and cinematic cutscenes could ever do, but it just absolutely fell flat when the island turned out to be a few corridors of orcs, seekers and skeletons. Stopping to fight the occasional named orc, seeker and skeleton. I actually really liked the dungeons in Risen, they had great atmosphere, so I was expecting something of the same from G2. Ah well, great game nonetheless.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Cassidy said:
Grunker said:
I think DA:O and ME2 are LEAGUES better than Risen

:retarded:

Seriously, go back to Gamefaqs or Bioware Social Forums please.

NO U!!!11!!!:

Since your main enjoyment seems to be a game with a rule-system almost as shallow ME2's, less legitimacy in the story-department and FAR, FAR less interesting characters.

Der_Unbekannte said:
Grunker said:
Sceptic said:
Grunker said:
It's just the one game that I think sucks so deep, it hurts me every time the Codex with its otherwise fine tastes give it praise.
So you're perfectly fine with all the praise that the 'dex gives to DAO, ME2 and fuck even MW2, but you get butthurt because a handful of people praised Risen? :?

Fuck you, I'm not gonna have that debat AGAIN. I've debated it at length with Roxor, Mikayel and Phelot. If you're really that curious I guess I could find you a link. But yes, in essence I think DA:O and ME2 are LEAGUES better than Risen - and it's not because I find DA:O or ME2 to be shimmering jewels if you get my meaning.

I would be greatly interested in these arguments. So post the link please.

Okay, let me try...

Shit, because of the Codex's shit search engine I can't find them, so let me instead give a summary of the arguments here:

1) If you're a combat-kindda-guy, and you get enjoyment out of Risen, I'm puzzled. The rules-system is extremely shallow, and extremely horrible. If you're playing this game for the combat - sure, go right ahead, but the RPG-part of combat is stats, no? Well, Risen's stats and rules are almost non-existant. Your spell-selection and weapon-skills measure down to almost nothing, being no more varied than the 9 different weapons you can choose in an FPS.

2) Killing stuff is about as interesting as playing a mini-game in ME2, at least in the first chapters. Enemies operate on sequence, so if you click the right sequence, you win. There's three different kinds of enemies: Those where that's easy, are all to easy. Those where that's hard are just annoying. Then there are the group fights, which require some measure of strategy.

3) The story is, I'm sure you'll agree, banal-shit-boring.

4) The characters are more flat than cardboard-cutouts. They have odd reasoning, and the writing made me cringe MORE than with DA's. DA's was just plan bad, but Risen's writing almost weren't there. It was almost always descriptive, and every character is characterized by arbitrary stuff such as "this is the guy who swears" or "this is the policeman-kindda guy." There are no differences between them otherwise, and those few with motivations are almost never delved into.

5) Tying in the class-selection with story is a trip to stupid-land. I understand the reasoning behind it, but the problem is:

When characters and story are banal-shit-boring, I'm left with only the combat to play this game for. The story-choice becomes irrelevant, and tying it in with the plot is a nuisance. It's only effect is making me choose story-line and alligiance based on which class I can play - not the other way around as was the intention.

6) The amount of stupid, uninteresting, yet sometimes HOUR-LONG FedEx-quests were jaw-dropping. Whenever someone praises Risen, I think back to my time solving the murder, sweeping rooms or any of the other quests involving just running the round doing nothing. And I think to myself: "What. The. Fuck."

7) Probably the most important one: I have a personal dislike towards games such as Daggerfall, Gothic and so on. "Hiking-simulators" as they are sometimes called. Often I find they have a shit rules- and combat-system, and shitty story and characters. To make up for this they have a "huge world" and exploration - but that's got nothing to do with being an RPG. This is a personal dislike, and I would never claim it held any merit in a discussion, but in Risen these exact faults are displayed so excessively it makes me want to scream. Risen's single, only, reedeeming feature is a nice jungle to explore.

Yeah, I guess. To bad the rest of the game-mechanics suck so bad any will I'd have to delve into the exploration is entirely slain.

Murk

Arcane
Rain of Fire is another easy way to kill off the dragons. Archer characters with high DEX will absolutely annihilate all 5 of them with no trouble what-so-ever.

The dragons rank of power goes Swamp -> Stone -> Fire -> Ice -> Undead. They themselves even tell you of this hierarchy while you are making them talk.

Demons can usually do the trick too but you may need to jump in the fray on the last 2-3. The swamp dragon is easy cuz of the assistance, but even the Stone dragon you can just summon a Demon and stand around as the demon beats the crap out of it.

Another idiotically effective strategy is to use a 'transform into Dragon Snapper' scroll and just bite the bastard to death. Its strength score of 200 is enough to damage all of them except for the undead dragon, and it has a natural armor of 150 (pretty good).

The shrink monster scroll is probably best used on the Black Troll, unless you have the patience to melee it 5hp a hit. The last 2 dragons are actually stronger than the Black Troll in pure numbers, but you won't reach those till end game and will have more tricks up your sleeve by then.

Felix

Arcane
A thread about some pole turned into Gothic/Risen thread :? I love the Codex.

Mikayel said:
Rain of Fire is another easy way to kill off the dragons. Archer characters with high DEX will absolutely annihilate all 5 of them with no trouble what-so-ever.

The dragons rank of power goes Swamp -> Stone -> Fire -> Ice -> Undead. They themselves even tell you of this hierarchy while you are making them talk.

Demons can usually do the trick too but you may need to jump in the fray on the last 2-3. The swamp dragon is easy cuz of the assistance, but even the Stone dragon you can just summon a Demon and stand around as the demon beats the crap out of it.

Another idiotically effective strategy is to use a 'transform into Dragon Snapper' scroll and just bite the bastard to death. Its strength score of 200 is enough to damage all of them except for the undead dragon, and it has a natural armor of 150 (pretty good).

The shrink monster scroll is probably best used on the Black Troll, unless you have the patience to melee it 5hp a hit. The last 2 dragons are actually stronger than the Black Troll in pure numbers, but you won't reach those till end game and will have more tricks up your sleeve by then.

I remember playing Gothic 2 for the first time, when it came to the dragon hunt thing, I ran around looking for the dragons. And well i eventually found them. Only I did them in the "wrong" order Ice- > Fire-> Stone-> Swamp. First was was frustrating as hell and the last one was a pushover since I upgraded my weapon/armor and leveled up several times in between.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah Konjad seems to have chilled out. Now it's exmit that's getting on my nerves. Fucking guy is annoying, not even a good troll.

Therefore I shall change the title of this thread forthwith.

Murk

Arcane
Felix said:
A thread about some pole turned into Gothic/Risen thread :? I love the Codex.

Like a blowjob during a car-drive, I'll take it when and where I can get it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
don't mind if he's banned he's an even shittier poster than me

dr. one

Augur
Mikayel said:
The shrink monster scroll is probably best used on the Black Troll,

you´re right, but it´s such a great retort after the grand speech ice dragon gives!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom