Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please delete the RPGcodex twitter account if it is just going to be used to shill

Cassidy

Arcane
t has only been tweeted since it is more PR for fig, which has strong involvement from several of the developers (Fargo and Feargus) that several of the codex staff would like to get jobs with

It would be beneficial for RPGCodex if all the shills got real PR jobs that would keep them too busy elsewhere to further sink this place down the toilet of whoring for Doritos. But it's too late for that now. All that is left is to either leave forever or watch it languish and become worse and worse with every year, given it is already barely better than a politically incorrect imitation of RPGWatch.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
That's right, attack the poster, not his arguments.

iURAFii.png

Classy

pippin

I thought it was a bad tweet and exerted my Divine Right of not favouriting it.

Sadly, the Mouse Wheel of Ignoring +3 does not have the same effects than the Golden Star of Favorites +5. Choices, consequences...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I said during the "Shill Brigade" episode that you guys were missing out on a TON of rage material on Twitter. Keep on digging!

Angthoron

Arcane
I agree with OP though, we should be moving to some more progressive social media to shill, Twitter shilling is kinda 2013.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It is true, I am more interested in strategy games (I know people sometimes forget that the tacticular cancer forums are hosted here as well), although I do still have a healthy interest in RPGs. As you may have noticed I am more inclined to post in the News and Content threads than the General RPG Discussion forum. Thank you for taking the time to research this issue which is extremely relevant to the topic at hand.
Anyone whose top posting category is Politics or any other off-topic discussion should be banned.

Andhaira

Arcane
OP has a point, and this has been noted before. Let us not even get into the Curator PoE review episode.

What I have been seeing here is a conflict of interest, and an attempt to make the Codex into something it never was, and by attempting to do so will risk destroying it, or at least destroying what made it into the Codex in the first place.

The primary attraction of the Codex has always been the honest and brutal dissemination of AAA games. It used to be CRPGs and they are still our main concern, but over time multiple sections for multiple genres & console games were added. Initially the Codex had few members, though this included some well known developers as well as developers who did and still do lurk. With the release of Oblivion, Dragon Age and similar titles by prior beloved companies producing crpgs, the Codex got a sudden and massive influx of new members, because they found they could openly discuss their grievances with these games that they, surprise surprise could not on the official forums because any dissenting voice(s) was banned immediately. The Kickstarter surge as well as the Sir Tech thread, the Grimoire thread and the GamerGate thread has steadily increased the influx of new members to many more than in the first decade of this millennium.

None of these people came because of the Twitter or the Curator group or whatever. They came because they want to be in a place where they can openly rip apart games without fear of being banned. And sure the occasional lulz in GD.

DU & Taluntain own run this place and in the end it is their right to take it in the direction they want. Anyone here would love to be able to make a good living off what they enjoy doing, or something they have put enjoyable years of their life into.

But you cannot have both these things together; if you are attempting to put certain game companies & devs in a positive light for whatever reason (not indicating anything sinister here, it could be you just like their games) at a certain point in the future many aspects of the site will have to be toned down, including honest opinions and reviews of games, especially as these small time devs start getting bigger, which IMO is the direction Fargo & Co. are headed with Fig. (Which I might add is a good & logical business decision for them to be sure though not so sure about the execution they are undertaking with Fig). If this is implemented then new membership will decline & many existing members will start leaving or stop posting altogether like they did at Bethesda forums or Bioware forums, as the Codex will become just another gaming website, like the many others out there.

I think at this point a compromise might be the best idea: Crooked Bee &/or Infinitron can make a Twitter under their own handles and can even title themselves RPGCodex Editor & RPGCodex News Poster/Investigative Journalist; they can then post whatever they want from that. That way the Twitter account does not give the impression the majority of the userbase supports everything tweeted from it, because they don't and I think the views of the userbase should be taken into account.

Fairfax

Arcane
OP has a point, and this has been noted before. Let us not even get into the Curator PoE review episode.

What I have been seeing here is a conflict of interest, and an attempt to make the Codex into something it never was, and by attempting to do so will risk destroying it, or at least destroying what made it into the Codex in the first place.

The primary attraction of the Codex has always been the honest and brutal dissemination of AAA games. It used to be CRPGs and they are still our main concern, but over time multiple sections for multiple genres & console games were added. Initially the Codex had few members, though this included some well known developers as well as developers who did and still do lurk. With the release of Oblivion, Dragon Age and similar titles by prior beloved companies producing crpgs, the Codex got a sudden and massive influx of new members, because they found they could openly discuss their grievances with these games that they, surprise surprise could not on the official forums because any dissenting voice(s) was banned immediately. The Kickstarter surge as well as the Sir Tech thread, the Grimoire thread and the GamerGate thread has steadily increased the influx of new members to many more than in the first decade of this millennium.

None of these people came because of the Twitter or the Curator group or whatever. They came because they want to be in a place where they can openly rip apart games without fear of being banned. And sure the occasional lulz in GD.

DU & Taluntain own run this place and in the end it is their right to take it in the direction they want. Anyone here would love to be able to make a good living off what they enjoy doing, or something they have put enjoyable years of their life into.

But you cannot have both these things together; if you are attempting to put certain game companies & devs in a positive light for whatever reason (not indicating anything sinister here, it could be you just like their games) at a certain point in the future many aspects of the site will have to be toned down, including honest opinions and reviews of games, especially as these small time devs start getting bigger, which IMO is the direction Fargo & Co. are headed with Fig. (Which I might add is a good & logical business decision for them to be sure though not so sure about the execution they are undertaking with Fig). If this is implemented then new membership will decline & many existing members will start leaving or stop posting altogether like they did at Bethesda forums or Bioware forums, as the Codex will become just another gaming website, like the many others out there.

I think at this point a compromise might be the best idea: Crooked Bee &/or Infinitron can make a Twitter under their own handles and can even title themselves RPGCodex Editor & RPGCodex News Poster/Investigative Journalist; they can then post whatever they want from that. That way the Twitter account does not give the impression the majority of the userbase supports everything tweeted from it, because they don't and I think the views of the userbase should be taken into account.
:brodex::mrpresident:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My condolences
..?

"Styx... is a good stealth game."

All the impressions I glanced at in the Codex thread were positive. I like the stealth genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom