Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please delete the RPGcodex twitter account if it is just going to be used to shill

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

BBMorti

Arcane
It has come to my attention that some people are unhappy with what the Codex tweets on Twitter.

All I can say is...

:butthurt:
Hahaha the two brofists
als_islanderotica_pr_017hires1.jpg

DramaticPopcorn

I think at this point a compromise might be the best idea: Crooked Bee &/or Infinitron can make a Twitter under their own handles and can even title themselves RPGCodex Editor & RPGCodex News Poster/Investigative Journalist; they can then post whatever they want from that. That way the Twitter account does not give the impression the majority of the userbase supports everything tweeted from it, because they don't and I think the views of the userbase should be taken into account.
Rename it into Codex Hivemind

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
OP has a point, and this has been noted before. Let us not even get into the Curator PoE review episode.

What I have been seeing here is a conflict of interest, and an attempt to make the Codex into something it never was, and by attempting to do so will risk destroying it, or at least destroying what made it into the Codex in the first place.

The primary attraction of the Codex has always been the honest and brutal dissemination of AAA games.
Morrowind. RPG Codex Game of the Year, 2002:

Many have lauded this game's accomplishments, and deservedly so.
[...]
Morrowind is without a doubt one of the most amazing accomplishments of the year.
[...]
Morrowind is a game that, for me, both promised and delivered.
[...]
Morrowind comes complete with stunning graphics, but past that is an immersive world, full of things to do. So full in fact, that I am still playing, as no doubt are many others.​

Man, we sure ripped Morrowind a new one back in the day.

Bru-tal.

Hell, you might even say we're promoting it what with all that attention and all. Just look at all this shilling for Lionheart.

None of these people came because of the Twitter or the Curator group or whatever. They came because they want to be in a place where they can openly rip apart games without fear of being banned. And sure the occasional lulz in GD.

But you cannot have both these things together; if you are attempting to put certain game companies & devs in a positive light for whatever reason (not indicating anything sinister here, it could be you just like their games) at a certain point in the future many aspects of the site will have to be toned down, including honest opinions and reviews of games, especially as these small time devs start getting bigger, which IMO is the direction Fargo & Co. are headed with Fig.
We've been "promoting" certain developers for years via news posts on the front page. BioWare, Obsidian and so on. We've always heavily posted in favour of one developer or game over others.

It's called news. A game joins the FIG platform? Well hey, that's news. Except these days, we don't just front page it, we can tweet it too. We used to literally post about every new RPG launched on KickStarter until there just became too many of them. Now we pick and choose based on what seems the most interesting.

And if you're worried about shilling, you should be worried about us raising tens of thousands of dollars for games now too. That I note, are only a select few games that we choose to - dare I say - promote too. We don't run a fundraiser for every game.

I think at this point a compromise might be the best idea: Crooked Bee &/or Infinitron can make a Twitter under their own handles and can even title themselves RPGCodex Editor & RPGCodex News Poster/Investigative Journalist; they can then post whatever they want from that. That way the Twitter account does not give the impression the majority of the userbase supports everything tweeted from it, because they don't and I think the views of the userbase should be taken into account.
No, the problem is the people who think a Tweet and Steam Curator add mean anything. Then there are those confused by the notion that there is some kind of "Codex Hivemind" which agrees with everything. Hell, even after all of the complaints about PoE being added to the Steam Curator list... The vast majority of people still want it added to the Steam Curator list (56% of all votes if you exclude KingComrade).

The problem is people who think "The Codex" is actually capable of standing for anything at all. Hell, even the notion of an article of the 72 best RPGs of all time is against the Codex' nature. Now 72 people debating about which RPG is their favourite maybe...

Our only intention is to discuss CRPGs. We do that by posting news which allows people to discuss those things. We now do that on Twitter and Facebook. And as always, we can't cover everything, so we only post about the stuff that interests those with posting privileges. For everything else, I'm sure we've got a Sub-Forum for it now.

The strength of the Codex isn't that we post news it seems people in this thread don't like, or add games that you can't decide whether you like them or not but a majority of you think it should be added... it's that we allow you to discuss it.

Mortmal

Arcane
No, the problem is the people who think a Tweet and Steam Curator add mean anything. Then there are those confused by the notion that there is some kind of "Codex Hivemind" which agrees with everything. Hell, even after all of the complaints about PoE being added to the Steam Curator list... The vast majority of people still want it added to the Steam Curator list (56% of all votes if you exclude KingComrade).
Thats just plain dishonest DU and you know it . Of course POE should be mentioned in the curator list its one of the few releases this year . What could be the % of people who agree to keep POE in the steam curator list BUT with VD and roxxor reviews linked below ? I bet will be well over 56%, that question will never be asked ,and retardoed if someone write a new poll ..So much attention towards this average game so much shilling, while some other like SITS dont even get a single review months after release, thats really odd to say the least .

As for the 2002 supposed shilling, morrowind seemsa truly good game , i dont remember anyone writing a very negative review about it on the dex , nothing comparable .

Weasel
Our only intention is to discuss CRPGs.

And now Harmonix joins the alternative crowdfunding platform Fig: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/252915/Harmonix_using_Kickstarter_alternative_Fig_to_crowdfund_new_game.php… I wonder who else they can bring on board.

Harmonix is one of the world’s leading independent game development studios, best known for creating blockbuster franchises like Rock Band and Dance Central. We’re currently hard at work inventing the future of music gaming.

:troll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
while some other like SITS dont even get a single review months after release,

tuluse was writing this one, but he seems to have left the Codex for reasons he kept to himself. :M

It's a volunteer gig. A lot of people volunteered to write PoE reviews, no one (except tuluse) was interested in volunteering to write about Staglands.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tuluse was writing this one, but he seems to have left the Codex for reasons he kept to himself. :M

It's a volunteer gig. A lot of people volunteered to write PoE reviews, no one (except tuluse) was interested in volunteering to write about Staglands.

Actually, there is another. He's taking his sweet time though.

Gozma

Arcane
Make your peace with RPG Codex being an element of the new low-mid tier budget game industry

BBMorti

Arcane
Haha Ulm :lol:

That screen calls for a joke.

What's the difference between Tuna, a piano and glue? You can tuna piano, but you can't piano a tuna.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Thats just plain dishonest DU and you know it . Of course POE should be mentioned in the curator list its one of the few releases this year .
You say that. But by God were people screaming blue bloody murder when it was first listed.

What could be the % of people who agree to keep POE in the steam curator list BUT with VD and roxxor reviews linked below ?
I've got no idea. Why don't you make a poll and find out?

I bet will be well over 56%, that question will never be asked ,and retardoed if someone write a new poll ..
Yeah because we've just had a week here where people were Tweeting developers about the Codex releasing financial information and we totally shut that all down instantly by Retardoing all the threads and buried it. Now watch us do the same to a poll about PoE! Because we all know how we just Retardo PoE shit rather than let it drag on for hundreds of pages while people share their butthurt.

Oh wait... Which Codex have you been reading?

So much attention towards this average game so much shilling, while some other like SITS dont even get a single review months after release, thats really odd to say the least .
Because that's what's the Codex is about isn't it? Whining about AAA games while salivating over all the indie rubbish with shitty graphics that gets dropped.

We talk about, and talk about, and still talk about PoE because it is controversial. Because there are those who hate it, and those who love it, and all of those inbetween. When it comes to SITS, either most people haven't played it because they're secretly graphics whores, or they like it and don't care to say much about it.

But oh God look what happens if you mention PoE...

As for the 2002 supposed shilling, morrowind seemsa truly good game , i dont remember anyone writing a very negative review about it on the dex , nothing comparable .
You weren't here in 2002. Trust me that as someone who was, there was a lot of butthurt about Bethesda's hiking simulators. Even back then. And especially once Oblivion came out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom