Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please hurry.

spacemoose

Erudite
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Apar said:
Gothic 3 is on my to-do list. One problem: no elves, but many orcs. Fuck orcs.

Tolkien took a shit 50 years ago and people are still wiping his ass.

Well you gotta give him a little credit......YOU WOULDN'T HAVE YOUR FUCKING RPG'S IF NOT FOR TOLKIEN YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER!!!

in here we use our IN-DOORS voice young man

and tolkien can go fuck a boat with his boring-ass assbooks

Spacemoose said:
The_Nameless_Prick said:
Apar said:
Gothic 3 is on my to-do list. One problem: no elves, but many orcs. Fuck orcs.

Tolkien took a shit 50 years ago and people are still wiping his ass.

Well you gotta give him a little credit......YOU WOULDN'T HAVE YOUR FUCKING RPG'S IF NOT FOR TOLKIEN YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER!!!

in here we use our IN-DOORS voice young man

and tolkien can go fuck a boat with his boring-ass assbooks

I didn't say i LIKE his books, I'm just saying the guy deserves some kind of credit for the by-product RPG's that came out many years later (yes even the one WE like). I bet in 50 years from now our grandchildren are gonna say Tim Cain is a "boring-ass" developer while playing "fallout: mechs!"

Apar

Novice
It's nice that he is the one source from which all flows and stuff. I can respect his whole deal on good, shiny western elves and evil black people from the east and south and drunken dwarves who drink and stuff. But seriously, shouldn't the people who love him stop fucking his corpse for like a year or two?

Sirbolt

Liturgist
I don't really understand how someone can percieve Tolkien as the granddaddy of all RPG's. I'm sure Chainmail would have been created regardless. RPG != Fantasy.

Sirbolt said:
I don't really understand how someone can percieve Tolkien as the granddaddy of all RPG's. I'm sure Chainmail would have been created regardless. RPG != Fantasy.

Where do CRPG's come from???
pen and paper RPG's (dungeons and dragons)
Where did Dungeons and Dragons (pen and paper rpg's) come from???
I don't remember his name, (Ed Greenwood maybe?) but I know he was absolutely fascinated with Tolkiens work, Inspired by the world of Middle Earth, that guy sat on his ass for months creating Dungeons and Dragons and the whole time doing it constantly referred to Tolkien's books.

Remember, I never said I'm an "OmG TuHokyn IbS DERR BbBEstesterest Awwtor IhN DAA HOLLE WyDee WeRld lol" kind of person so don't get me wrong. I just don't think he should be bashed so severely due to what he started, even here.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Lumpy said:
Cruces said:
Admiral jimbob said:
MountainWest said:
Admiral jimbob said:
MountainWest said:
Lumpy said:
whatusername said:
Lumpy said:
Indeed, Planescape didn't have any elves, or any generic fantasy beings, for that matter. Except humans.

Ghosts, motha fucka.
No, it didn't.

If I remember correctly, there was a female ghost in the very first dungeon, near the entrance.

I -think- he meant elven ones.
If not, she was a human ghost, so...

Hmm...

"Or any generic fantasy beings" -> "Ghosts motha fucka" -> "No it didn't" -> "there was a female ghost..."

I guess Lumpy himself will have to sort this one out.

That's... probably for the best.

I just wanted to continue the quotefest
That was a spectre, bitches.
It was a fucking apparition, you clod.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Locue said:
Lumpy said:
Cruces said:
Admiral jimbob said:
MountainWest said:
Admiral jimbob said:
MountainWest said:
Lumpy said:
whatusername said:
Lumpy said:
Indeed, Planescape didn't have any elves, or any generic fantasy beings, for that matter. Except humans.

Ghosts, motha fucka.
No, it didn't.

If I remember correctly, there was a female ghost in the very first dungeon, near the entrance.

I -think- he meant elven ones.
If not, she was a human ghost, so...

Hmm...

"Or any generic fantasy beings" -> "Ghosts motha fucka" -> "No it didn't" -> "there was a female ghost..."

I guess Lumpy himself will have to sort this one out.

That's... probably for the best.

I just wanted to continue the quotefest
That was a spectre, bitches.
It was a fucking apparition, you clod.
Wrong, it was a lingering spirit, you ignorant buffoon.

Blacklung

Arbiter
Well of course he is. However, his works are not...well not really. They are more undead than anything, stumbling along, half naked, with rotting innards and body parts sloffing off here and there, necro'd back into existance by rabid D&D fans, the LOTR movies (and games who borrow the visual styles), and every other unoriginal fantasy setting.

Balor

Arcane
Well, he was a very good linguist, I guess.
But the overall 'philosophic' theme of his book, the plot, etc - sucked. Plain and simple.
A least for me. Cause it was so filled to the brim with christian morality, and I cannot stomach that.

I'll take Natalya Ignatova over him anyday (think fantasy Zuskind, heh.).

Agreed. A brilliant linguist who simply created a world for his languages to be used in and mishmashed together old legends and folk tales (pretty well, admittedly); the plot, characters and writing were average at best.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
It was a good fairy tale story, but DnD took it and ran like the little buck tooth girl that it is. Blame DnD, not tolkien.

Blacklung

Arbiter
So how was the LOTR series really any different than the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe series (other than the fantasy setting and the creatures). The latter was pretty full of allegory as well and wasn't written much better...strange that it didn't gain as much of a D&D like following.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
@OP, Focus:

Shut. The. Fuck. Up. Bitch.

The longer VD develops AoD, the better it will be. I don't want to wait three years for a game with incoherent writing, sucky dialogue, and little attention to detail .
No, I would much rather wait 3 + n years for a game with good writing, great dialogue, as few bugs as possible and a rich and, shoot me, immersive world.

VD: Take your time or I will make trained ninja-monkeys kill you in your sleep while they recite furry filk-songs using sign language!

Also, Duke Nukem Forever will rock! In 2010, that is.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Tolkien disliked allegory... (quoted from somewhere)

Tolkien generally spurned allegory as an art form—he even professed to hating it—so it seems unlikely that his works were intentionally and fundamentally allegorical.

Indeed, in his Foreword to The Lord of the Rings instead of allegory he said

"I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that may confuse "applicability" with "allegory"; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader and the other in the purposed domination of the author."

MacBone

Scholar
Random thoughts from this thread:

Any book written more than, oh, five seconds ago should be buried face down in a concrete crypt and left to rot for all eternity.

Any book by a Christian is absolute crap and isn't worth papering birdcages (and this goes for Dostoevsky, Flannery O'Connor, James Joyce, and all those other hacks).

Apar's probably ADHD.

Admiral jimbob said:
Agreed. A brilliant linguist who simply created a world for his languages to be used in and mishmashed together old legends and folk tales (pretty well, admittedly); the plot, characters and writing were average at best.

Maybe tolkien is not the best writer ever, but his books are much better than today's average fantasy literature.
btw, I hope you've read the Silmarillon.

ixg

Erudite
Whatever. I like Tolkien's books. I don't like most of the works by others based off his stuff.

There is only 2 parts in The Lord of the Rings that i really found interesting. Both were of Gandalf giving his long speeches. I liked the part where he tells Frodo the history of the ring; it was very deep, well thought out logical writing right there. The other part was where he tells Aragorn in Fangorn Forest about Sauron and how he is worried about Saruman finding the Ring for himself, therefore prolonging the invasion of men, afraid of a sneak attack by saruman. Again, very deep and well thought out writing. The rest of the book, though deep, is pretty dull though and when i read them, i found that i had to go go back to the appendix's constantly just to find out what the hell they were talking about. Tedious stuff.

Sentenza

Scholar
Balor said:
Well, he was a very good linguist, I guess.
I guess it helps in writing...
But the overall 'philosophic' theme of his book, the plot, etc - sucked. Plain and simple.
I love the 'low-fantasy' settings of his books
Cause it was so filled to the brim with christian morality, and I cannot stomach that.
Nor do I, but I can "stomach" Tolkien quite well, I wonder why

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
That's because it has zero to do with Christian morality. The backlash of 19th century British ethics is the paradigm that Tolkien wrote from. If you take Frank Herbert, for example, who wrote Dune about the same time Tolkien wrote LOTR, he used one big World War II metaphor and a modern view on genetics and morality. Tolkien was a dusty British Linguistics Professor raised in a snobby British environment , Herbert was an aspiring American writer who got drafted and dropped out of college. Morality being Christian or not doesn't have anything to do with that. It's the sense of purpose these guys had and how they dealt with abstract metaphysical issues, coupled with the sense of ethics their surroundings have given them.

Christian morality in itself is far darker than what Tolkien wrote. Besides, he insinuated a gay couple, which is about as far from Christian morality as you can get.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
MF said:
Christian morality in itself is far darker than what Tolkien wrote. Besides, he insinuated a gay couple, which is about as far from Christian morality as you can get.
I do know that in D&D, all elves are considered bisexual, but in which book of Tolkien is a gay couple insinuated?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom