Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please hurry.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
grocery stores don't make laws.
Neither do congressional candidates.

What is it, exactly, that these people are being 'bribed' to do? The reason candidates need money is to buy tv ads and whatnot to convince people that they should be voted for. Campaign contributions allow for people or businesses to support the candidates who they believe will support their own views and interests.

congressman are supposed (i think) to represent the voters who elected them, not a handful of people or businesses that give them the most money.
And...?

spacemoose

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
congressman are supposed (i think) to represent the voters who elected them, not a handful of people or businesses that give them the most money.
And...?

and that's what they end up doing, because if they don't, they don't get the 'donations' from that particular lobby group next time around

how can someone be so willfullly blind?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
how can someone be so willfullly blind?

It´s the effect of the systemical destruction of critical tought.

In the near future, a green arrow will mark which candidate the corporations have already chosen for you to vote.

One Wolf

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
grocery stores don't make laws.
Neither do congressional candidates.

What is it, exactly, that these people are being 'bribed' to do? The reason candidates need money is to buy tv ads and whatnot to convince people that they should be voted for. Campaign contributions allow for people or businesses to support the candidates who they believe will support their own views and interests.

candidates do not make law, but they do if they become elected. i fail to see how it's in the public's best interest for an elected congressman to pass laws that favor health insurers who desire legislation to prevent affordable healthcare if statistically a large number of voters desire a better healthcare system.

they are being "bribed" to be a corporate rep as opposed to a public rep. thats where the corruption element enters in. it isn't their stated position to do the bidding of their biggest contributors, but to their constituents.

KC said:
One Wolf said:
And...?

it doesn't strike you as wrong that people are voting for a candidate based on the issues he supports, only to find out that he really has someone else's interests foremost in his mind? i suppose you could blame the public for thinking that the person they're voting for gives a flying fuck about the public and is actually beholden to their biggest contributors (i.e. not the voting public). still, seems pretty fucked up to me.

sheek

Arbiter
One Wolf said:
candidates do not make law, but they do if they become elected. i fail to see how it's in the public's best interest for an elected congressman to pass laws that favor health insurers who desire legislation to prevent affordable healthcare if statistically a large number of voters desire a better healthcare system.

they are being "bribed" to be a corporate rep as opposed to a public rep. thats where the corruption element enters in. it isn't their stated position to do the bidding of their biggest contributors, but to their constituents.

As I said in the Oblivion thread the problem is not bribery. Bribery means that the corporations/private interests promise stuff in exchange for influence on public government. It implies that the fault is with the corporations/private interests, and that to fix the problem you need to limit the power/wealth of corporations and individuals - aka Communism.

Looking at it another way you see that the corporations do not promise anything and that the problem is the politicians' greed and lack of integrity. They hope that by selling out principles and betraying the trust of the voters they just might get rewarded for it. In other words the problem is not bribery, but prostitution.

There have always been rich people/groups in history but corruption was not always a great problem. In other times corporations and private groups were just as powerful but did not have the same influence... because public prostitution was less acceptable in those days and if you were caught you would be made to pay for it. When everybody capable of judging you (other politicians) is whoring as well then honest people are at a disadvantage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom